Why can't I get any better?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: Why can't I get any better?

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""lordandcount""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Forget that idea that you're better by being smart or having logic stuff, imo game experience plays the bigger roll and checking forums and recorded games is very important. Forums are good to know the latest strats, exploits, OP lame stuff, etc. If you cant micro use a civ that needs less micro, like Brit or Russia. If you cant boom use civs like Sioux or Otto. Use what you got ;)[/quote]

And what if you can't micro, can't macro, can't boom and can't rush like me?[/quote]

I can't micro, macro, boom or rush like you, but that's ok.... because I can still fit my head through a doorway. ;)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Forget that idea that you're better by being smart or having logic stuff, imo game experience plays the bigger roll and checking forums and recorded games is very important. Forums are good to know the latest strats, exploits, OP lame stuff, etc. If you cant micro use a civ that needs less micro, like Brit or Russia. If you cant boom use civs like Sioux or Otto. Use what you got ;)[/quote]

Brits and Russia are quite micro intensive, IMO. If you can't boom use civs like Otto???? Their eco is weak unless you can boom, plus if you don't know the ins-and-outs of the game (like constantly making vils), using Ottos is one of the worst things you can do as it creates bad habits. I do agree with your statement about game experience playing a large roll in getting better. If you only play corporals and privates, you'll get really good at beating corporals and privates. However if you want to get good, play people 2-3-4 PR above you and learn to beat them.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Jan rush needs no eco, otto revolt needs no eco, otto FF for mame/spahi doesnt need eco, etc.

Russia is about spamming army, must have less micro than civs like otto or sioux imo. Sioux you lose a battle you lose the game :\

However if you want to get good, play people 2-3-4 PR above you and learn to beat them.
Isn't that about experience too? ;)
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""lordandcount""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Forget that idea that you're better by being smart or having logic stuff, imo game experience plays the bigger roll and checking forums and recorded games is very important. Forums are good to know the latest strats, exploits, OP lame stuff, etc. If you cant micro use a civ that needs less micro, like Brit or Russia. If you cant boom use civs like Sioux or Otto. Use what you got ;)[/quote]

And what if you can't micro, can't macro, can't boom and can't rush like me?[/quote]

I know what you could try: Pick Japan; build Toshugu shrine near 8 deer; build consulate; choose isolation; put shrines on wood; mass ashis; get some free clubs; hit attack-move toward enemy base and win !! :>:
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

No you dont get better by picking the op civ and strat. You might get worse.

Let's say I take Japan. And just play Ashi/yumi spam. No specific skill
required. Im lvl 22 at the moment. Im pretty sure I could get 24/25 in a month by just playing Japan. When I was playing Dutch before 1.1 I was easely almost 24. But am I a better player? I dont think so? I'm still the same. I could play ports with the same effort and be lvl 18 probably.
Dont pick the easy or OP civ.

Germany, aztec, Iro are much better at the moment to improve your gameplay.

And Otto at the moment isnt easy. By no mans lol. They are absolutely weak so it actually requires skill to get some wins with them.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I was only kidding about Japan... I have very little respect for shrine-booming Jappo lamers whose units mess up the counter system. I agree that you won't learn anything by taking advantage of current-day imbalances.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

[quote=""Cammel""]I think find an OP strat and perfect it and you'll easily hit first luit/captain[/quote]

RANK *****

..no but really, uhm. i reached major from microing sioux to death :D .. im kind of stuck atm but yeah, forget logic. learn a few build-orders for your favorite civ, that way you can be flexible enough to react to.. stuff :) haha
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]

Russia is about spamming army, must have less micro than civs like otto or sioux imo. Sioux you lose a battle you lose the game :\

[/quote]

In late game i agree, but not in early game. You gotta watch your Cossacks and your Strelets. Sure, other Civs are more micro intense, but russia requires micro as well. When you're Eco is going you can spam like stupid.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

this game is mainly about eco management I think.
players like grunt NP etc rarely gather too much of anything or stockpile for mo reason.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle