Russia vs Japan

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Russia vs Japan

Post by rufio_eht »

What do u guys think in general. I think I could have won if I destroyed all his shrines sooner, as I had the advantage for about 20 min. On great plains btw. Thoughts on the matchup in general?
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Russia vs Japan

Post by Soccerman771 »

14 vil age-up and keep him in his TC. Pressure, pressure, pressure w/strelets and musks. If the japan player goes nagi/yumi combo with an effective shrine-boom you're pretty much toast. Use those handy-dandy cossacks from shipments to keep his explorers from building shrines. One of the "easier" matchups to play against Japan.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]14 vil age-up and keep him in his TC. Pressure, pressure, pressure w/strelets and musks. If the japan player goes nagi/yumi combo with an effective shrine-boom you're pretty much toast. Use those handy-dandy cossacks from shipments to keep his explorers from building shrines. One of the "easier" matchups to play against Japan.[/quote]

Nah. In general you are right. Pressure him to death. You don't need Vills in the beginning. Send in Troops like stupid. The problem is, good Jap players (I would say major+) can beat this attack pretty easy. They go for a stable and consulate (for these warclub dudes), you lose the first fight (clubs defend the yumis he sent) and it's pretty much gg. On water maps you have good chance. Be aggressive but boom on water (3 docks). You can beat him in Age3 then.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

nagi > everything russia has in age 2
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Tatltael""]nagi > everything russia has in age 2[/quote]

Nah Cossacks beat them. The problem is the second unit he has. Ashis beat Cossacks and Muskets and Yumis beat Muskets and Strelets faster than Cossacks beat Nagis. Plus, massed Yumis somehow beat Cav, if the cav can't touch them (Nagis).
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

FF for oprichniks and 3TC boom
they wont see it coming :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

yea lol, wow. in this particular game, scores were pretty much even but once my pressure finally broke his econ took off.
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

[quote=""Tatltael""]nagi > everything russia has in age 2[/quote]

U took my words :P
Exactly, if you're playing a decent japan you may resign at start coz it's an impossible matchup unless you outrank your oponent big time.

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]
Nah Cossacks beat them. The problem is the second unit he has. Ashis beat Cossacks and Muskets and Yumis beat Muskets and Strelets faster than Cossacks beat Nagis. Plus, massed Yumis somehow beat Cav, if the cav can't touch them (Nagis).[/quote]

Cossacks? He doesn't even need ashis when all he has to do is bring out some FREE konshas from his consulate and even without the konshas, the jap eco can hold an early cav spam a lot more effectively than the russian eco.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I hate this matchup, though it can be won. As everyone has said, pressure is essential. But that is easier said than done, because it is really tough to raid the Japanese econ. Cossacks don't do much good when all their villies are two steps away from the TC and you can't kill shrines early; personally I find a good strelet mass better for picking off cherry-pickers from range: The more time they spend garrisoned the better. Problem is, once he sees you have lots of infantry, in come the nagi, which CAN beat crappy Russian muskets unless you have about 20 of them. If you go all musket, yumis and ashis beat them without much trouble. Ashi can handle strels in numbers under 23, and yumis slaughter them. He goes yumi defense and you bring cossack: Free clubs. He goes ashi defense and you mass strels: nagis from stable built behind the TC with free shrine wood. You try to meatshield the ashi with cossacks: ashi/club time. Meanwhile his shrine econ goes through the roof as you fritter away your food on massive infantry and villie purchases. Yes, it is a hard game :-P
Last edited by Kaiser_von_Nuben on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""EndlessPower""][quote=""Tatltael""]nagi > everything russia has in age 2[/quote]

Exactly, if you're playing a decent japan you may resign at start coz it's an impossible matchup unless you outrank your oponent big time.

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]
Nah Cossacks beat them. The problem is the second unit he has. Ashis beat Cossacks and Muskets and Yumis beat Muskets and Strelets faster than Cossacks beat Nagis. Plus, massed Yumis somehow beat Cav, if the cav can't touch them (Nagis).[/quote]

Cossacks? He doesn't even need ashis when all he has to do is bring out some FREE konshas from his consulate and even without the konshas, the jap eco can hold an early cav spam a lot more effectively than the russian eco.[/quote]

I wasn't speaking about a cav spam. Tatl just said Nagis beat anything russia has in Age2. That's not exactly right (-> Cossacks). You have to start with muskets (5 free cossacks, then 13 strelets) and attack the jap-guy quickly. Bring down the stable asap. When he has the chance to get 6-8 Nagis out (+Conshas and shipments) it's gg.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]FF for oprichniks and 3TC boom
they wont see it coming :D[/quote]

This would be really cool if it worked. LOL.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""36drew""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]FF for oprichniks and 3TC boom

This would be really cool if it worked. LOL.[/quote]

I'd say I'll give it a go, but you'll see it coming ;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""][quote=""36drew""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]FF for oprichniks and 3TC boom

I'd say I'll give it a go, but you'll see it coming ;)[/quote]

If someone does try it, remember theres these things called petards at the arsenal. 1 per shrine = bye bye shrine..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""][quote=""36drew""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]FF for oprichniks and 3TC boom

I'd say I'll give it a go, but you'll see it coming ;)[/quote]

If someone does try it, remember theres these things called petards at the arsenal. 1 per shrine = bye bye shrine..[/quote]

That sounds good, too, provided, of course: (1) you make it to Age 3 and have enough wood to build an artillery foundry and 100 wood per petard; and (2) the Jappo hasn't run you over with ashis 8O
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""][quote=""EndlessPower""][quote=""Tatltael""]nagi > everything russia has in age 2[/quote]

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]

Cossacks? He doesn't even need ashis when all he has to do is bring out some FREE konshas from his consulate and even without the konshas, the jap eco can hold an early cav spam a lot more effectively than the russian eco.[/quote]

I wasn't speaking about a cav spam. Tatl just said Nagis beat anything russia has in Age2. That's not exactly right (-> Cossacks). You have to start with muskets (5 free cossacks, then 13 strelets) and attack the jap-guy quickly. Bring down the stable asap. When he has the chance to get 6-8 Nagis out (+Conshas and shipments) it's gg.[/quote]

Not true. I have tested it in scenario editor. I made a fight between 1 nagi and 1 cossack, 5 nagis and 5 cossacks and 20 nagis and 20 cossacks.
Clearly if you consider both units' stats you'll see that nagis won all the battles. So I can clearly confirm that nagis do own everything russia has in age II. Tatl is right.

EDIT:
btw here are the results of my test

1 nagi vs 1 cossack = 1 nagi survives with about half HP

5 nagis vs 5 cossacks = 3 nagis survive

20 nagis vs 20 cossacks = 14 nagis survive

All battles were obviously unmicroed from both sides in order to confirm accurately which unit is stronger.