PR meaningless in some circumstances

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

PR meaningless in some circumstances

Post by Palehorse »

Looking back over the last several months, I looked at some of the highs and lows using ESO tools website. The "best" player I had beaten is currently PR 27. However, his record was 15 wins and 286 losses, albeit on ESO tools.

So I switched to Elorating.com and discovered his secret. His team record is ~ 730 wins verses 475 losses. I need to find a teammate :-P .
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: PR meaningless in some circumstances

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Ratings can be confusing and misleading. There are so many ways to artificially inflate (noobbashing) or conceal (smurfing) your true playing ability. Then there is account-sharing. It is hard to know whom you are playing or to whom you're losing.

Honest man that I am, I do my best to refrain from trickery when I play AOE3. When I play hosted rated, I only play people around my skill level or far above it. Admittedly I've encountered some real noobs in QS, but that was because I wanted a wider spread of PRs to get a game faster. More often that tactic matches me with Lt. Cols!

One of the things I like so much about this clan is that we play so much unrated. That way you can focus on your game without worrying about the number that appears next your name, your reputation, etc... Personally I've felt really bad in the past when people masquerade as Master Sgts. just so they can pwn a player around my level. It is just dirty business.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Plus there is this decay rule. I think the next time Caesár and me team up we'll be Lieut. Col and 1.Lieut or something :)
The only good thing about PR is that you can see if you got better or not.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Plus, you may have different standards for playing games - like teaming up with corporals and what-not. You don't get any credit for taking a bunch of overmatched losses, even though it tells you nothing about your true ability. PR is not perfect, but it does tell you something about the potential matchups so you can decide if you're facing a fun game or not.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

PR/elo is good, but it does have limits -- and everyone knows that.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

The combination of both is the best indicator.
Most of the time when you have a hard time vs a lower PR guy, you'll see he has a high ELO.
If you easy beat somebody ranked above you, they will have a relative low ELO.

And then of course you can get some just weird players.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

in theory, ELO should be very accurate for regular players, as it is in chess, but AoE III has too many variables. Diff people can play on the same account, single-multi player, inbalance between civs...

PR is just a wierd system imho, not bad, but based on strange principles
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

[quote=""36drew""]PR/elo is good, but it does have limits -- and everyone knows that.[/quote]

True. To check the living proof of that check a thread I've made about "World's #1 Noobbasher" xD xD