Some general questions

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Some general questions

Post by huGGy »

Playing Aztecs, what Civs do you try to rush? I struggled vs Iros. Maybe a turtle is the better way to play there. But i just don't know. What age up do you use when you try to rush and what BO? Is it important what your extra crate gives you? Questions about questions.

All experienced Aztec players are welcome to give me some advice. All none experienced Aztec players are welcome to give me some advice as well :) .
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Some general questions

Post by 36drew »

I don't mind turtling at home w/ 10+9 mace shipments while sending some coyote to raid. I usually use the 2 skull knight when trying to rush for the anti-cav and siege since you can age up fast anyway. Using the jag BB is quite popular to supplement the early seige force too.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I usually go for good ole mace, using the 2 skull knight age up as quick siege and anti-cav. I ship 19 mace and make more, sending pumas/coyotes if necessary. Just hit and run with mace and you should do fine.

If against China spam coyotes at him and don't think twice about it. Even if he's iamgrunt, he WILL lose to is. China has NOTHING against a coyote spam. Literally nothing.
Groovy.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Work ERK in late game vs Ashigarus or do I have to build Maces?
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

I can tell you as Brits, I hate coyotes. However, you can deal with Aztecs if you know what's coming. Spammed LBows beat maces, spammed muskets beat coyotes. If you're going to rush the Brits with Aztecs, the key there is probably out-scouting the other guy to show up with the right troops, or showing up with a 50/50 mix and out-micro the other guy.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I asked because a 2v2 i just had. Ashigarus beat my Coyotes like nothing (not sure though if he was in Age 5 and I in Age 4). Massed Maces? Don't know. Someone said ERK were good.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Ashis seem to beat everyone; but they are supposed to counter coyotes and they do resist 20% hand damage. If he was in Imperial and you were in Industrial I'm not surprised the coyotes lost.

Hmmm, late-game Aztec against late-game Japan is not a pretty picture. Massed maces would prolly be best against ashis, but he'll prolly also have imperial naginata, and you know what they do to skirms and archers :cry: Maybe ERK for the horses and maces for the ashis?? I don't think ERKs are that great against musket units... someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I know they don't get a special bonus against heavy infantry the way maces do.

Seems like the only way to beat ashis is to mass 15 imperial cannon and protect them with 50 imperial doppelsolders with Solingen Steel lmao (just kidding). :-P
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Hmmm, late-game Aztec against late-game Japan is not a pretty picture. Massed maces would prolly be best against ashis, but he'll prolly also have imperial naginata, and you know what they do to skirms and archers Maybe ERK for the horses and maces for the ashis?? I don't think ERKs are that great against musket units... someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I know they don't get a special bonus against heavy infantry the way maces do.
You're right, ERKs don't do well against musket units.

If you're against Ashi/Nags, late game, consider using pure Jag Prowlers. I think they'd fair okay against both.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Stealthed Jaguars might be something to try out surely.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

It was all about massing units at this point of the game. But next time i'll give it a try.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Stealthed Jaguars might be something to try out surely.[/quote]

Lisbon, you're right... Jaguars are the Aztec answer to massed heavy infantry. I think they have a X3 modifier against them; and they can avoid the ranged fire with stealth. This will basically do to muskets what stealthed coyotes do to a longbow mob... it is utter pwnage.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I find stealth rarely works - if they know you can stealth they'll always keep a detector with their army. The prowlers - and skull knights for that matter - will only be worthwhile if they can close without being shot up. Skull knights are definitely too slow - maybe try puma spearmen with the 20% speed upgrade card - that gives them a speed of 6.0 and so they can close the gap easily!

I think you need some mace mass as well to pelt the ashis already in melee with your spearmen. Stealthed jags are good hiding in the mace in case of naginata. Monks will be with the infantry and so they will often not be seen!

Some arrow knights are also important as siege/anti-art as they may well build flame cannons if you mass infantry against them. They can also roast shrines from afar!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Aravinthan »

I have an Op rush with aztecs. Here are the guidlines:

1. 1st ship 3 villies
2. Age up wiht 14 villies using Fast age
3. Send 2 villies to make a forward base. Try to et the war hut before you age.
4. Keep all the rest of villies on food.
5. When you aged and hopefully got your war hut. Set it as your shipment waypoint.
6. Use the BB to get 3 jags. When you get them, use your explorers, any converted people. To go their base and go for their tc or if he started making a rax, go for his rax. The goal is to wekaen the building so your pumas can finish the job faster.
7. As you might of guessed, your 2nd ship shud be 6 pumas. Try to not letting him breath. Now shwitch liek 2 mroe villies to wood. And spam coyotes. And ur 3rd and 4th ship shud be 10 and 9 maces. This should give you a good army to finish the job that your pumas started.

Well thats the main idea. IF you guys want a record ask me and I can provovide you one.
Hope it helps.
A master Piece done by cleeduz
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Could probably due with some clarification on the issue of collecting wood.

e.g.:

If you're building your first WH you need to collect 250 wd. Plus, you're going to at least need 1 extra House quickly. That's going to have to come before you can go heavy on food to BB your 3 jags.

Even at the stage where you're spamming Coyotes (which are food heavy), you're still going to need quite a few settlers on wood to build the houses for the Mace shipments (i.e., at least one house per shipment + more to cover the Coyotes & settlers you're building).

IMO, you might need to be careful going in quickly with Jags & Pumas. If it's a civ that can ship an infantry shipment those Jags & Pumas can very easily be skirmished off, while also being shot at by the TC. You'll need to be careful.

Just me 10ps worth.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

[quote=""ruminator""]I find stealth rarely works - if they know you can stealth they'll always keep a detector with their army. The prowlers - and skull knights for that matter - will only be worthwhile if they can close without being shot up. Skull knights are definitely too slow - maybe try puma spearmen with the 20% speed upgrade card - that gives them a speed of 6.0 and so they can close the gap easily!

I think you need some mace mass as well to pelt the ashis already in melee with your spearmen. Stealthed jags are good hiding in the mace in case of naginata. Monks will be with the infantry and so they will often not be seen!

Some arrow knights are also important as siege/anti-art as they may well build flame cannons if you mass infantry against them. They can also roast shrines from afar![/quote]

i have some kind of sick satisfaction sending the stealth coyote card/combat in age2 and watching my coyotes devour a mob of LI with a full firepit on attack dance 8O

no but really if a game happens to go to fortress w. aztec, you can set a couple of jags to stealth and creep around your enemies base - if you manage to draw his army out, i think you might be pleasantly surprised at how fast a mass of JPK can take out well.. most things :twisted: