Sioux broken?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sioux broken?

Post by EndlessPower »

Well since yesterday I started playing some games with sioux because I think it's a fun fast game civ with no eco or turtle laming.

It looks to me as it is a civ that's broken big time. It's nice for some matchups, but for others like vs india, iro, otto (civs with good heavy infantry) I find it completly useless since sioux age II range inf is **** crap and gets owned by the units it should counter (eg: sepoys). (Not mentioning the 0% sioux capacity to boom and / or turtle).

What do you guys think about this?
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Sioux broken?

Post by huGGy »

Bowriders are the answer in age2 (hit and run with them). But you're right, it's very hard to play vs india/japan (otto i dont know). You have to raid your opponents to death.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Hm I dunno if it's broken, they're at least less broken than last patch. Sioux have a lot of trouble vs turtle civs and I guess India too. Otto should be ok.
BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by BashUgood »

HHmm...

I've been trying to play sioux and have earned myself an accomplished loss streak..

I tried Wacko's strat once so far vs Japan, and got my army chewed up by 5 Nag.
I had a good size army early but I think my main problem was I used valuable time destroying 4 shrines when I should have been in his base..
Which gave him time to counter with the cav and with my lack of anti cav it was over..

I might not call them broken .. but they definetely are at a totaldisadvantage vs some civs..
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

Against Otto use Evening Star and laugh in his face. Just be careful of abus. If he makes both run in and mob his abus just before the card arrives. At least that worked when I played sioux hardcore...

In theory that card could work for other civs though I'm not sure. It really depends on the civ. I do feel your pain, cetans leave a lot to be desired, but as it was said Bow Riders are your best friend. With good micro and hit and run skills you can mob up musk units pretty easily. Just ask tatl. :p
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

im not a fan of wacko's early raid strat, it sux imo, 4 AR by 4 mins is sort of :/ you arent really going to ruin any economies with that, much better to get 15 vills chop wood for corral fast up and then raid from there, you can ruin his eco whilst maintaining yours :D

but for ottos.. hmm. best bet is to scout, if you see him gathering lots of gold then go for 400 wood ageup, gather 200 gold 100 wood and enough food to have 5 axe riders in your first bunch, ship 4 AR and proceed to make aenna for the expected jans. if he puts his jans into melee to go at your axeriders then just hit them with aenna and thats pretty much how things should go..

rifle riders wont work in my experience, they arent amazing w/ age 2 stats, and abus ruins them anyways.

or instead of aenna you could go BR if youre confident with your micro, in this case you have to force the abus into melee w/ them while shooting at jans, while your axeriders take out abus.

but yeah, cetan need a small boost. maybe +10 hp
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Wacko's strat is good, it's just a different style. You gotta use the pistolero card, that's the good part of the strat.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

idk if you send out CM then the strat basically ends..
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Aenna Tatl?
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

drunk then and still know . bagh
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

CM doesn't mean you can't raid anymore...
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Cetans have all the weaknesses of xbow or longbow but none of the advantages:

cost of a LB = expensive
range of XB = short
health of LB = low
Train time of LB = slow
LOS - between the two.

Only their armour seems decent.

The only sioux I have trouble against go bow riders in age 2, aging to prowlers and rifle riders in age 3. Most hardly bother with a war hut until they've bust my eco with constant raiding.

If they keep raiding then people tend to forget about counterattacks and just get too obsessed with where they are going to hit next. I think in these games it would be best to mass heavy infantry and just march into their base - their cav are then forced to confront you head on.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yes, they suck, but you forgot their ROF which is of about 2.1 (faster than xbows) and their x2 multiplier vs HI, which makes them half-decent.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

don't Bowriders do well vs all those units?
ship in the AA card and you outrange em as well
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

i always thought cetan rof was 1.5?

maybe its warclub that needs an hp boost then