Moderator: Global Moderator

djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Re: EURO 2008

Post by djdan »

It does happen, but very seldomly.
Because people will think what the hell i may get sent off but someone takes my place, doesnt really matter to me!
And penalties can be missed very easily!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Fine, then make it an automatic goal.

And penalties don't really get missed that often, but still, I agree with you there.

If it were an automatic goal to make a tackle like that then the player would think "well, there's no point in making that tackle because if I do it in the box then it'll just be an automatic goal anyway."

The only other reason they'd make such a tackle is to deliberately injure somebody, and if that happens then they definitely ought to be sent off. Even if they are sent off, then the team should be able to replace them, if not immediately, then at least after like 15 minutes or something.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Fine, then make it an automatic goal.

And penalties don't really get missed that often, but still, I agree with you there.

[/quote]

Having watched many England matches end in penalties, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point. ;)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I think the rule is just fine and doesn't need to be changed. Very rarely are straight red's thrown. Usually it is a yellow, then second yellow (automatic red). 10 v 11 isn't THAT much difference. If there were more scoring in the game, I might agree with you on this KK, but no way could I have a championship decided because a ref blew a whistle on a hard foul in the box and an auto-goal is the only "score" in the game.

Red cards are deserved 99% of the time, and those players are causing bad injuries or are very disruptive of the enjoyment of the game. It only really becomes a problem like when you have the situation in the '06 cup where a million cards given in the Dutch-Portugal game...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Oops there go the swedes, amazing how Russia is doing ^^
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

[quote]Soccerman771
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:09 pm Post subject: Re: EURO 2008
I think the rule is just fine and doesn't need to be changed. Very rarely are straight red's thrown. Usually it is a yellow, then second yellow (automatic red). 10 v 11 isn't THAT much difference. If there were more scoring in the game, I might agree with you on this KK, but no way could I have a championship decided because a ref blew a whistle on a hard foul in the box and an auto-goal is the only "score" in the game.

i couldnt agree more.......... auto goal IMLAO
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

Well, imo red cards arent always deserved, and definatrly no auto goal, because thats silly lol And people DO miss penalties, and quite often too!
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well if the "auto-goal" rule were instated then players wouldn't make risky from behind tackles in the box and would leave the goalie to defend, which wouldn't be a guaranteed goal.

And honestly I'd rather a match be decided by a break away ended in an awarded goal as opposed to a blowout caused by playing the match a man or two down for the majority.

In any case, my point is: punish the player, not the entire team. One foul or penalty shouldn't decide the game, especially if it's toward the beginning. It ruins games.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Well if the "auto-goal" rule were instated then players wouldn't make risky from behind tackles in the box and would leave the goalie to defend, which wouldn't be a guaranteed goal.
[/quote]
Well here the player knew, quite well, what would happen if he tackles Toni

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]
In any case, my point is: punish the player, not the entire team. One foul or penalty shouldn't decide the game, especially if it's toward the beginning. It ruins games.[/quote]
Maybe this would work in amateur soccer, but it definetely wouldn't work in professional soccer because as djdan said the fouls would skyrocket, if u just have to replace a player. Also because goals can decide about millions of money
The red card directive for referees, to give a red card to the last player of defending team if he fouls another player who wants to score a goal was enforced because of many tactical fouls like that. It was just made clear to the referee that the situation of the rule which i stated above is given when such foul happens.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

IMO, thats silly! Football is becoming less about tackling, and people diving, having an auto goal is only going to make people want to dive more for their team!!
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I haven't seen that many penalties in this EURO tho. I think the rules are ok.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Well if the "auto-goal" rule were instated then players wouldn't make risky from behind tackles in the box and would leave the goalie to defend, which wouldn't be a guaranteed goal.

And honestly I'd rather a match be decided by a break away ended in an awarded goal as opposed to a blowout caused by playing the match a man or two down for the majority.

In any case, my point is: punish the player, not the entire team. One foul or penalty shouldn't decide the game, especially if it's toward the beginning. It ruins games.[/quote]

Is there any other sport where breaking the rules does not punish the team? When I was in elementary school, we had rules in PE class. If someone broke them then the entire class had to do 5 more pushups/situps/run an extra lap, etc... It gets everyone to play as a team.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

In current news:

2-0 to Germany REAL early in the game....

Too early to say Ports is done?

:twisted: :twisted:
jtackel@hotmail.com

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

2-1 so far, saw it by accident
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
jonny676
Captain
Captain