Port recs for those who haven't lost hope yet

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Port recs for those who haven't lost hope yet

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

One vs sioux where I water boom well he spams bow riders no matter what, hoping to get some vills.

The other vs aztec where he fails his rush and then I just go industrial and take him down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Port recs for those who haven't lost hope yet

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

vs sioux: that guy didnt play all that well, he could at least siege ur docks early on, your TCs did not cover them. He didnt even try to stop you, nor boom (TPs, firepit...)
No warhuts near the coast, no other units cept BR's...
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yeah, and the sad part is that to some point the BR were doing ok :\ They need fixing as well as wakinas do.

I have to exploit the fact that people don't know how to play vs port :p
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

It's hard to play vs Ports on water :). Play your sea cards earlier (the one for fishing) and put the gather card for whales into your deck. On Patagonia it's really worth it, then go for a saloon though i don't know what unit types would be available there.
At least go for Besteiros in the church. They would have own this BR-Junkie :)

If he tried to boom with his Firepit as well it would have been a real close match. That way it was just a matter of time, though he did quite good at some parts of the game.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yeah I gotta make a deck with whale card too, thanks for that ^^ I don't know about besteiros, the 2400w cost is a bit unappealing. What was giving me advantage here was the extra range that I had over his army.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Don't know about industrial age, but in fortress besteiros really humiliate ranged cav. You had like 1300 wood several times. Put all your vills for a minute or so on wood and you have it. Saved me several times before.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

besteiros is the only reason I might ever play ports
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

You have never seen the lame HC/20 range goon combo, surely. Or elmetis raping a whole fortress age army. Ports are full of little candies, even goon/caça combo is nice. Oh and I forgot musket/mamelukes.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Don't know about industrial age, but in fortress besteiros really humiliate ranged cav. You had like 1300 wood several times. Put all your vills for a minute or so on wood and you have it. Saved me several times before.
The thing is that going industrial age is more effective and is easier to do, besteiros need not only 2500w (church included) but also a shipment.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

You definitely did everything right, otherwise you wouldn't have won it. It was just a guess, how you could have beaten him earlier. Well, me in your situation vs this player and i had lost it, lol. Nevertheless besteiros own :-)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Watched the game vs Sioux. Nice play by Sporting, but he was far too passive. He just ran his BR round your base, didn't build any other troops types for nearly 20 mins and left the water for too long.

As soon as I'd have scouted the docks and lack of troops I'd have switched to clubmen for siege with BR protecting them or gone straight to fortress. All he did was build more BR! You didn't even need to send minutemen apart from one t/c and that was later on in the game.

Still, he'd probably wipe the floor with me if we ever played. I think that higher level players play differently because of opponent's skill, where at 2nd lieut/mstr sarge level there is no respect for opponent's skill and people just charge on in there!!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace