Otto strats anyone?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Otto strats anyone?

Post by ruminator »

I've been trying out some Ottoman with mixed success. Following the boost to ranged infantry, it seems that janns are countered pretty well now. Yumi, aenna, LB, XB, mace all now appear to cause a jann rush some serious trouble - I need to drop a stable and get hussar to survive in age 2.

The only games where I have been competitive with them is when I FF or semi-FF and support janns with Falcs and Spahi. Apart from a native rush I don't think Ottoman are that competitive in age 2 anymore. I know abus can be good, but don't seem to have the splits right to spam them early enough. I will practice this off-line, but think any large maps require you to hit fortress asap.

I lost to a jap who fended off my FF/Spahi attack and then massed ashi/naginata. The game went on for over 20 mins and he had no intention of ever hitting fortress - I don't think Otto can do that any more. They do appear to play very different.

On start-up, I think the trick is to hit the age up button in under 2:30 to be competitive. I have started to move towards an earlier mosque with the faster settler upgrade, this gives you a slight eceon boost going into colonial. As long as you have the second ship ready as you age up there is no real loss from the TP.

Any thoughts from anyone?
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Otto strats anyone?

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

otto called, he wants his 100 wood crate back :(

I've been trying several strats and really don't like otto atm

The 5 hussar semi-FF is ok. Go raid early on while gathering resources to age up, get 3 TC's and "boom"
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

u can always try the regular 700 food crate mass jan rush, u'll have loads and loads of them and if he can pull back ur rush u can always spare some units, retreat and with 700 gold go fortress quite easily and bring out ur spahis/falcs to go again (u must not lose all ur jans in ur failed rush attempt).
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""EndlessPower""]u can always try the regular 700 food crate mass jan rush, u'll have loads and loads of them and if he can pull back ur rush u can always spare some units, retreat and with 700 gold go fortress quite easily and bring out ur spahis/falcs to go again (u must not lose all ur jans in ur failed rush attempt).[/quote]

That's the problem, 15 janns v say 10 yumi + t/c fire = win for Japan at present. I think that Chaos' hussar harrass/semi-ff is potentially the best route.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

age up with 4 hussar politician and mass jans while aging
gives you a nice unit combo
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

[quote=""ruminator""]
That's the problem, 15 janns v say 10 yumi + t/c fire = win for Japan at present. I think that Chaos' hussar harrass/semi-ff is potentially the best route.[/quote]

Not if you micro ur jans and make him run inside TC range. You can always use ur minutemen too. Yumis' hp is crap if u micro well ur jans inside ur tc range he's screwed if hasn't got a big army.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""EndlessPower""][quote=""ruminator""]
That's the problem, 15 janns v say 10 yumi + t/c fire = win for Japan at present. I think that Chaos' hussar harrass/semi-ff is potentially the best route.[/quote]

Not if you micro ur jans and make him run inside TC range. You can always use ur minutemen too. Yumis' hp is crap if u micro well ur jans inside ur tc range he's screwed if hasn't got a big army.[/quote]

he won't come innto your TC range, but instead camp and boom. You will have to rush him if you wanna win
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Actually what owns Japan as Otto is abus. Abus with a few jans will tear down any ashis or yumis.
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""][quote=""EndlessPower""][quote=""ruminator""]

Not if you micro ur jans and make him run inside TC range. You can always use ur minutemen too. Yumis' hp is crap if u micro well ur jans inside ur tc range he's screwed if hasn't got a big army.[/quote]

he won't come innto your TC range, but instead camp and boom. You will have to rush him if you wanna win[/quote]

True. But attack him after you got yourself some falcs/abus with spahis and jans. With some time the otto army can get strong enough to wipe out a japaneese boomer.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I am going to practice my build for abus. I think I need to take 300 wood politician, build foundry and then send 5 jann/700 gold. If you get hit early though you could be in trouble.

Next question is, if you hit fortress early I normally send 5 spahi and 2 falc first with some built janns. I think next card should be 1000 wood for t/c spam but keep getting drawn into sending 8 janns to help protect falcs (if still alive). Anyone with any thoughts?

George Wallace
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Abus + hussar vs. japan is your best hope. You just have to be relentless and never stop attacking. You can bet that there will be shrines in the open to constantly harass.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""36drew""]Abus + hussar vs. japan is your best hope. You just have to be relentless and never stop attacking. You can bet that there will be shrines in the open to constantly harass.[/quote]

-If I can grab 2 tp's I still do a stagecoach rush as otto.
-TP right off the bat (chop 50 wood if you need to build that house).
-3 villager first card.
-Put 10 villagers on wood during transition till you get 250.
-You other few villagers will be on food for stagecoach.
-Get a second tp.
-Then split your 10 wood villagers between food/gold about 6/4.
-Choose 400 wood politician. Use 200 wood for stables, and 200 wood for stagecoach.
-2nd card is 700 wood.
-Train as many hussars as you can and get raiding.
-Get up an art foundation, and 4 houses (though, not necessarily the 4 houses all at once).
-3rd card is 3 hussars.
-Stagecoach should be researched. Set tps to match the balance of abus to hussar that you want. More gold for abus based of course.

After this its all situational. I always have a plethora of crates, 5 jannisaires, and CM in my decks. You have to be constantly attack vs. japan because if you sit back you die. Even if you attack you sometimes die. Anyway, thats a rough start I use on a lot of land maps in a lot of matchups. I"ve played about 33% of my 1v1 rated games w/ otto, so I figure I know a bit.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Does that strat work even better in 'nilla? For some reason I've been itching to go back and try a few nilla strats as I never really played anything competitive back then.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Does that strat work even better in 'nilla? For some reason I've been itching to go back and try a few nilla strats as I never really played anything competitive back then.[/quote]

Otto rocks the house in vanilla. The only difference is you get more starting crates, and silk road gives you 30% more on stagecoach/crates, rather than 15% in our patch. So basically everything is just way stronger. Cav also dies to a lot of RI, which is... kinda lame, but you can't expect ESO to patch vanilla.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

As an addition, I think I'm about 1-5 vs Aztecs as Otto. I know I have made mistakes in some of the games, but I am unsure how to play especially on smaller maps where FF is not possible.

They just camp in their base, go 10 wp and then build up a mass of mace, puma, coyote. Due to pathing problems with hussars it is far easier for them to micro their cav/anti-cav than it is for me to get mine unopposed onto their mace.

I think that FF for falc/spahi is the only chance I have .. but welcome other ideas!

George Wallace