New Banner

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: New Banner

Post by KingKaramazov »

I had an idea -- there was one thing I liked about the font in the last banner -- the image overlay on the text. If I could get a different font that is perhaps more suited for aoe3 (i tried hard to look for one but couldn't find a decent one, but am open to suggestions of course) I could try doing a similar image overlay and it might look a bit more interesting.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Can you try some other letter styles?
this looks too clean, the "3" is simply horrible
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Well, I'm not sure what you guys expect for font. All I can say is if you want the garish 3d lettering that was on the last banner, then I don't know what to say....that's just...bleh. WordArt from MS Word doesn't belong on our site banner. That said, I agree, the lettering could perhaps use some changing.

If you can find some better fonts or whatever, let me know.

As for the map background thing, that was my original intention, but I absolutely could not find a decent map image for a background to blend in, neither could I find photoshop brushes of maps. So I think that's a dead end.[/quote]

I wasn't reffering to the font in the other one. Like I said, that was just playing about to see what effects could be done with my software. I have tonnes of cool fonts that can be edited for depth, angles, bevels etc.
If you let me know what type of font you would like to use (it is your banner after all) I can do it for you. Also, if you can give me some idea of the colours or textures you want on the font I can do that too.

As for the map background, I could try and find one and blend it for you, I can get some nice "soft" blend effects that fade really well.

Let me know.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Just find me a map background and I can do the blending myself without much difficulty.

As for improving the font, if you could give me some more specifics besides simply saying it looks bad, I might be able to do something. I don't think the font is beautiful or anything but I honestly don't know why it is "simply horrible."

But I have no problem at all changing it, so specific suggestions please! ;)
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Probably for the the same reasons the other one was "ugly", "garrish" and made you "shudder".

It is flat, plain, and the colour is bad. To be honest, it looks like you chose the first font you found and slapped a bit of colour on it and said "that will do".
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, the color I approximated from the AoE3 symbol. I am definitely flexible on the coloring.

As far as plain, well, I picked a clean font because I'd rather have something clean and simple as opposed to something wacky and over-the-top. But I agree, it doesn't totally fit with the whole AoE3 theme -- again....find me something better, please! I looked at 1001fonts.com and couldn't find anything worthwhile. Know of any other good places for fonts?

I don't know what you expect in terms of "flatness"...the font in the banner is definitely not 'flat' as it would be if I had done nothing to it besides simply adding some color. If you want something 3D like the text in the other one, well, I dunno what to say...maybe it's a matter of taste?
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Let me just say this...

Everyone is being way too critical. I liked the other banner a lot. I like this new banner a lot. Both are great.

What we'll do is have a banner constest. January 1st is the deadline for banner submissions. We're never going to get banner that everyone loves. It's just never gonna happen. So, make banners, upload them all and we'll let the members decide by voting in a poll.

I think you both did a great job. I'm impressed by both. Taking the time to make one is what it's all about. Doing something for the clan. Insulting someone's creation does absolutely no good at all. Constructive critisism is what we want. I don't like the negativity. It just pisses people off and does no good.

Please, constructive critisism. Constructive!

Everyone will have a chance to vote and you can have your say by voting.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Here's a demonstration of what I mean:

Text Demo

To Craz3n: Well, I think criticism is fine, but I agree it needs to be constructive. I'm totally open to suggestions. I think it's fine to have multiple banners, and the banner contest is a pretty good idea. But I think we should have a good quality banner for the site that all of us have put time, effort, and input into, not something that any one of us just made in a few minutes.

So this is a good process. :)
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

funny colour, you sure that's the one you meant Bob?
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I agree, that color is funny. That font is kinda cool, though. Have to admit once again I'm not sure how much I dig the very 3D feel of it, but the font itself is good besides the copper-pipe coloring.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I can reduce the depth.... it is all adjustable, the depth, the shadow, lighting, bevel, etc. I think the colour is funny due to the lighting angles.

Some box standard fonts, ignore the colours, they are just default. Again, everything is adjustable.

MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]funny colour, you sure that's the one you meant Bob?[/quote]
Yes it is the color of the links. It doesn't look as good with the side reflection color.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Can you list some of these fonts you are using so I might try some things with them in PS?
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Some of the nicer looking fonts:

Biondi
Bookman Old Style
Byington
Calligraphic
Georgia
Graphis
Splash
Viking

Or did you want the images with the font name next to it?