You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: EURO 2008

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

dutchies won? oh great :s
gonna have to listen all day long (at work) to semi-drunk "how much we pwned" stories... we have way too many dutch collegues lol
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

very good game im swaying towards holland now jk.. they always do that 1 good win then fall apart. no magic in the italian team how did they manage to win world cup???:/

go greece tomorow :)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Any day the Italian's lose is a good day as far as I know.. :)

They won the cup b/c they turtled when everyone rushed. Everyone knows a good turtle > a good rush most of the time.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
CaptainZion
Conscript
Conscript

Post by CaptainZion »

Well i don't know about you guys but i think portugal is going to win it :)
Vini, Vedi, Vici I came, I saw, I conquered

Proud Member of the N30 clan. It is more then a clan. It is a brotherhood. CaptionZion
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

By the way sporting the first goal wasn't offside, there was an Italian play behind the lines of the goal, offcially it isn't offside than, so it was a good decision.
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Here something about the tactics of the various teams: :-P

http://www.file-upload.net/download-905 ... s.pps.html
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""lordandcount""]By the way sporting the first goal wasn't offside, there was an Italian play behind the lines of the goal, offcially it isn't offside than, so it was a good decision.[/quote]

I thought the same thing L&C. However, I heard an explaination from Andy Gray about the player being off the pitch and not involved in the field of play. Since he was not an active player, Van Nistelrooy should have been called offsides. If he has stepped off the field deliberately, then he would have been on-sides and the player would have been shown a yellow-card.

That second goal was very nice. We are surprisingly getting good coverage of the Euro cup over here in the states. We get the games live and then re-played later in the day. Makes for a happy Soccerman..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Portugal, Germany and Holland all looking good for likely semis I imagine. France looked awful against Romania. Lets see how Spain do tonight ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

LOL, it was a good metre offside, as the Italien was off the pitch Great game though, best so far, whereas France game was possibly the worst so far haha

Spain should be a gooden this afternoon :)
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Well was surprised that Ruud is not go down after is slipped from the keeper was fair play for him staying on his feet if it was a Italian he would of been rolling on the floor waiting for a air ambulance to pick him up while his team mate start waving invisible yellow/red cards. (mm dont think I like Italy) Great game anyway think most people was waiting for this one to kick start the Euro. Come Czech :-P
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""lordandcount""]By the way sporting the first goal wasn't offside, there was an Italian play behind the lines of the goal, offcially it isn't offside than, so it was a good decision.[/quote]

I thought the same thing L&C. However, I heard an explaination from Andy Gray about the player being off the pitch and not involved in the field of play. Since he was not an active player, Van Nistelrooy should have been called offsides. If he has stepped off the field deliberately, then he would have been on-sides and the player would have been shown a yellow-card.

That second goal was very nice. We are surprisingly getting good coverage of the Euro cup over here in the states. We get the games live and then re-played later in the day. Makes for a happy Soccerman..[/quote]

There is a rule that if a player without acceptation of the refferee behind the line is that he is still in the game
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

The way it was explained was that off the pitch is out of the game or "is not live" the way Gray explained it. The goal was scored very quickly after he went down or the ref would have stopped play, IMO. The word they kept emphasizing yesterday was deliberately.

I think in the spirit of the off-sides rule he was in violation. In the letter of the rule, it is a gray area. Had he flopped or dived I might have had an issue w/the rule, however there was no way the player down could have impeded the goal (he obviously was not involved in the field of play and could not return quickly to stop the goal). Once a player leaves the field under those conditions, doesn't he need the referee's permission to re-enter the field of play?
jtackel@hotmail.com

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Well, EUFA has mad a statement saying the goal was good and should have been awarded: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 55&cc=5901
UEFA general secretary David Taylor told a news conference the officials correctly interpreted Law 11 which relates to offside when Ruud van Nistelrooy scored after 26 minutes.

He stated that Christian Panucci played him onside although the Italian defender was off the pitch at the time.

'The goal was correctly awarded. Not many people, even in the game, and I include the players, know this interpretation (of Law 11),' Taylor said.

He conceded, however: 'The Law itself does not deal with this situation directly at all,' but said that referees universally interpreted it in the way that the officials did on Monday night.

He said he had every sympathy with the wider footballing public for believing the officials called it wrong but said that Swedish referee Peter Frojdfeldt and his assistant Stefan Wittberg were absolutely correct in their interpretation.

Taylor told reporters: 'Even though the Italian defender (Christian Panucci) was off the field because of his momentum, he is still deemed to be part of the game and is therefore taken into considersation as one of the last two defending players.

'As a result Ruud Van Nistelrooy was not nearer the opponents' goalline than the second last defender and therefore could not be in an offside position.'

'This is a widely known interpretation of the offside law among referees but is not generally known by the wider footballing public and indeed many people in football,' he said.

'That is understandable because incidents like this are very unusual.

'However, there was a similar incident in a Swiss League match about a month ago between Sion and FC Basel and after a TV commentator initially suggested the referee had made a mistake, he later apologised publicly and congratulations to him.'

The goal caused confusion among both the Italian and Dutch players too, a number of whom looked astonished when the goal was awarded.

It also provoked some angry reaction among the Italian fans when it was replayed on the giant screens inside the Stade de Suisse stadium and led to Luca Toni being booked for dissent for protesting.

Taylor said his yellow card would stand and that goals would still be replayed on the screens throughout the tournament.

The International Football Association Board, the guardian of the game's laws, had the prerogative to examine the law if they thought the wording needed to be clarified or a loophole existed, Taylor said.
@topic - looks like Spain spanked Russia today. Must have FF'd shipment spammed...
jtackel@hotmail.com

scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

spain won WHEY HEY...... it just isnt right cheering them on i miss england :(
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

What about Greece-Sweden? OMG Greece makes me puke with that ghey turtle style. Those who hate Italy pls check this out.