Iroquois start options

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Iroquois start options

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

We have lot's of Iro players (playing them more as well now) and Mr Sporting who's a Top iro(n)man :)

So what to do at start depending on crates/map/strat?

Iro has at least 200 W and 200 F + 1 or 2 random crates on most maps.

If you wanna rush, do you build a TP when starting with 300 W and use the travois for a longhouse?

if you start with 200 W + 100 G, do you build a market and research the hunting dogs upgrade?

Do you ever use the starting travois for a farm? (I've seen some good players use it) It offers hunting upgrades and a nice xp boost but doesn't fit in agressive games.

If 200 W + 100 F, do you keep the travois for a stables in age II? (and build a longhouse with vils)

Anybody tried fishbooming by using the travois as dock and the spare wood for fishing boats?

other options?
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Iroquois start options

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

In my humble opinion there isn't that much of a choice :P Maybe on herdables map you can use farm, but all the time that you get 300w for start just go and make a tp. You want to have those 6 toma, 4 kanya, 7 6 aenna flow quickly :) It gives an extra power to your rush. If you start with 200w 100c I don't like getting a market because it takes 150 precious wood that can be used to max out your toma production.

It depends on your style, tho :D
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

do you rush each game vs any civ?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

I semi-ff harass vs ports. I still have to find an efficient strat vs jap, anything else I just rush.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Usually what I do is if I get 300 wood, I make a warhut in the middle with 1 vil in the middle and do fast age up, making a stable or warhut with the travois (shipped to forward warhut). It makes for a very fast rush (30 seconds faster than my China rush).
Groovy.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

As sporting taught me - always go for TP if starting off with 300 wood and use travois for house. For 200 wood I build a second house on aging to stop getting housed so early.

Only time I would use travois for a farm is on Texas due to cows and pre-built warhuts. Potentially California if you have enough sheep, maybe.
Last edited by ruminator on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Usually what I do is if I get 300 wood, I make a warhut in the middle with 1 vil in the middle and do fast age up, making a stable or warhut with the travois (shipped to forward warhut). It makes for a very fast rush (30 seconds faster than my China rush).
I disagree with that option but I hope you have success :p
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

although it sounds possible, i think you loose lot's of VS and slow down your age up time
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

The thing is that you don't need corral early on. Just ship 4 kanyas and those are more than enough. That precious 250w for the hut is worth a tp, which lets you get all the shipments rolling, even the 5+4 vills are important to get asap. Iro lives from shipments cause their spam capability and boom capability is under average.

That's pretty clear in my recs, even vs russia, where cav *should* be a must, i didn't do it. Vs Russia brig and vs Viper's aztecs I built the corral later.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I actually tried using the travois on a dock first (with 300 wood start) and it was not too bad tbh. You need to chop 25 extra wood so you can make 2 fishing boats + a longhouse. Your age up time is the same and if you age up fast you can ship 600 wood first for a few more ships + longhouse and still be aggressive early on.

I don't think it's better than the all-out rush, but diversity is what makes this game fun for me :mrgreen:
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Usually what I do is if I get 300 wood, I make a warhut in the middle with 1 vil in the middle and do fast age up, making a stable or warhut with the travois (shipped to forward warhut). It makes for a very fast rush (30 seconds faster than my China rush).[/quote]

Faster than China rush? 8O

What, you're rushing them in the staging room? I think you just rushed me in our next game. :-P

"Was that fast? I thought that was fast."
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Iro has the fastest rush! :p
I don't think it's better than the all-out rush, but diversity is what makes this game fun for me :D
Of course, go ahead :p

Other thing that adds a lot of versatility is shipping 5 vills as first card, and 4 after. It's not that effective but it's fun ^^
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Sporting, can u give a short description what you do vs each civ (as iro)?

Would be useful to exchange some general ideas that are civ dependant, what to expect etc...

Today I rushed a spanish guy, and out of habit I shipped 4 kanyas as first shipment, but almost lost em all to the 6 rods... kinda forgot about them lol