Indy's musket onslaught

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Indy's musket onslaught

Post by IndyBrit »

Folks - this is a work in progress (and it's probably misnamed). My original thought was along the following lines:
save your walk time, and get a unit spam going that is so fast and big that the other guy just can't rush you decently, and if he waits until about 7:00 or so you will have too many guys and a solid spam that you can overwhelm him. You must break out before your lack of map control begins to matter greatly.

You are trading walk time and fortress possibilities for a secure eco and spam. My original goal was "40 by :30", or 40 dudes by 6:30. I think that goal is impossible, but it's nice to have out there. Also, 20 muskets = 17 longbows, so 37 split would be OK.

Here's my rough BO, this is for Brits. I won't go into the math for all my choices. Don't know if it can work with anyone else. Also, some maps only start with 200 W, I haven't worked those out but I'm sure I will later. Finally, I haven't actually gotten all of this to work smoothly yet, but it's very very close. The strat is more like a 30 by 7:00 right now, with a little lull in building dudes after that, but I'm working on it. Treasures don't matter, you're using everything so grab the most efficient overall treasures and work it in to your builds.

1) build 1 house
2) chop 90 wood with 4-6 guys, then hunt with all (try to get at least 2-3 herds in town)
3) build a TP
4) 300 W shipment, build 2 houses right away, hunt with all
5) age with 500 F poli
6) chop 400 W during age-up, then all on food
7) at aging - this is busy - ship 700W then 700G, build 2 rax, get about 8 guys on gold right away. (600W is better, but you need the gold and not the wood right then) switch gold guys back to food or wood after the gold crates arrive and are going - that's almost 30 muskets of gold
8 ) rax built que up muskets in each - try to get to 10 before built. que more muskets when those are done
9) get a couple of guys on those ships, you need those resources, and you should be building out of TC the whole way
10) get 2 more houses as soon as you wood ship hits, 3rd build from rax should be 10 Lbows, with 6 Lbow as 3rd age 2 shipment, you hit 20 musket, 16 lbows (right now 7:30 or so for me in the sandbox, I think it can me much better)
11) after this, the key is to tune your economy back in while still building guys, so chop some wood, market and upgrades, maybe even 20% wood shipment (age 1 I know - but you have a lot of dudes down now)

Also - put age 2 plantations in your deck, b/c you can ravage the landscape pretty quickly and may need that for your gold if the game gets late at all. Finally, I'm strongly considering cows and fulling mills in my strat as a way to increase econ density. The cows can be killed profitably within about 60 seconds after you click the build cow button if they are at a livestock. Shipments are rarely a problem due to the TP and all the dudes you build so quickly.

I haven't been able to run this enough, it's very econ micro intense. If anybody wants to test drive it, please do so and let me know how it goes or give me a rec. Otherwise, when I get it tuned I'm going to rec a couple of QS with it and get something posted.
Last edited by IndyBrit on Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Indy's musket onslaught

Post by Soccerman771 »

How many villies do you have by 7:30? One of the strengths of the Britons is that with the 700 wood as second shipment you can go 5 houses (for vils and pop space) and pretty much spam whatever you want...

Looks like a solid strat, I may give it a try once I get over my "India Crush".
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Iirc low 20s, not what you have with a pure eco strat. Also tp which is 1.5 to 2 I guess.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

1) build 2 houses
2) chop 90 wood with 4-6 guys, then hunt with all (try to get at least 2-3 herds in town)
3) build a TP

I don't get this...
you start with 300 W, build 2 houses (so you have 30 W left), chop 90 wood so your total is 120 W... how do you build a TP with that?

looking fwd to a rec, I luv da brit rushes :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

my bad - build 1 house. :-P
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

OK - here's the update.

When I crawled out of the sandbox, the current version has proved to be very delicate. You are utilizing every single villie second and even modest disruption causes the wheels to come off rather badly (eg the first "10" muskets are "4" muskets, etc.). Seems the comp on expert wants to raid me at 4 min. every time I try this. A human won't rush at 4 min., of course, but they will find some way to disrupt.

I'm going to work on some robustness tweaks - probably staggering in the 2nd rax, for example. I'll post an update if I get something worked out. I think the 200W problem is solved by building TP with the 300W ship. You need 35 more wood for a house - which you can wait and see if you find a treasure.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Final update.

This strategy is extremely fired.

My five muskets heroically fought off a german 19-xbow several-uhlan rush at 6:00 due to my pathetic micro being less pathetic than his pathetic micro. I even killed his army and ran him back into his town at one point, but he went Fortress.

Did anyone know there is a 9-uhlan card? LOL. Someone needs to tell ES that everyone else gets like 5 hussar age 3, so um, yeah. 276 VS per hussar, 226 VS per uhlan, with 10% German bonus, should be 6.76 uhlan, say 7. 9 is almost a 50% boost.

Anyway - in completely unrelated news, I need to learn how to play Germany. :-P
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

NOOO INDYBRIT dont play the op :( learn spain instead :D
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""Tatltael""]NOOO INDYBRIT dont play the op :( learn spain instead :D[/quote]

Never played Spain at all. Now that their automatic FF is gone - what's the plan with Spain? Maybe I should check them out.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I think Spain is only a decent team game civ. Archaic inf w/x-bow/pike/lb's civ's usually goes well....
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

My first attempt at something similar was 30 musk at 7:15, had 25 by 6:45 but got timing wrong on next batch.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

ive had alot of luck with spain in the past. aging with 15 vills &grabbing the poli that gives you 200 gold for market ups &outpost to get your milit. shipments on the battlefield quicker :] i think spain actually has a pretty solid colonial game, xbow + hussar + rods is a pretty nice combo if you ask me, not to mention age3 rods + falc =)!