To the Minnesotan(s)...a question

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

To the Minnesotan(s)...a question

Post by RascalJones »

Do they close schools for 2 inches of snow in Minnesota? Here in Ohio, where snow is no stranger, school has now been closed TWICE this week due to less than 4 inches of snow.

You'd think by 2007, they'd be ready for snow in Ohio.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: To the Minnesotan(s)...a question

Post by ZoRPrimE »

When I was young they didn't close schools in Minnesota unless there was horrible ROAD ICE or somewhere over a foot of snow. The plowing system in Minnesota is amazing.

When I was a paperboy at 5 am in the morning I was delivering papers in higher than knee deep snow. No small feat let me tell you. Well I got just about midway into the street and I heard the rumblings of a snow plow coming through. They go like 40 mph+ to keep momentum pushing the snow. I had two full bags of papers and I was high step running to get my arse out of the middle of the street. It was less of a close call than I thought but it sure was scary for a half awake paperboy. School was open on time that day :(

Other airports in the US come to Minneapolis airport to 'study' there snow removal system.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

2-4" wouldn't close schools. 10+ might.

We just had 3-6" on Tuesday. Nothing closed down but it did take me 3.5 hours to get home instead of my normal 1 hour commute.
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

it takes at least 8 inches or a wicked bad ice storm to close schools here in vermont
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, that was the case for me in New Hampshire as well. Bad road conditions usually got us a delay.

Now that I'm at college there's really nothing that will cancel classes.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
AdsBot [Google]
Conscript
Conscript

Post by AdsBot [Google] »

not even a hangover, KK?

The schools around here are insane. They close schools way too quickly, and then run out of "hazard days" and have to go later into June.
Flying_Bishop
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Flying_Bishop »

I've actually got experience in both Minnesota and Ohio. Here in Minnesota though, I live on a campus where 95+ % of the students live on the campus, and thus within a 5 minute walk of their classes, 15 if something goes wrong on the way. So we don't cancel classes. Though individual Profs have the prerogative if they want, I don't think I've had it happen more than once or twice due to snow in 2.5 years.

In Ohio, it was a mixed bag, but I don't think we ever got class canceled over two inches. There was one time there was about an inch on the ground, but I think that time was more about the cold, or the fog, or some actually serious concern (maybe the heater was down in the school.)

But the superintendent that came in my sophomore year did not give out snow days. I think she had to eventually, but that was her stance on it.

So I think it goes back and forth depending on the administration. I remember hearing from my French teacher who'd been around for a while (went to school herself in the district) that there were no snow days until someone (the superintendent or some such personage) slipped and cracked his skull on the pavement. But yeah, without some other circumstance I don't think two inches would be sufficient even in Ohio.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

The school district I live in used 2 hazard days this week. THey only get 5 for the year. It's not even Christmas break yet. OOops I mean "winter break" (my daughter goes to Catholic school, so we have different "rules" than the public SD)
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Wow I remember I got 2 days off school because we had about an inch of snow. The snow wasn't even the problem, it was the ice, everyone was just scared that some fool would fall over and sue. Bloody stupid, though I wasn't complaining at the time :D .
Last edited by Blackadderthe4th on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I've been wading through over a foot of snow, and they show no intentions of closing any schools. The only way they will is if there are like 2 or more feet of snow.
Groovy.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Come on throw more at us Minnesotan's!
Like does everyone talk like the Movie Fargo??
Do all Minnesotan's love Prince?
Do you feel like you have better balance because you're on some of the oldest bedrock of the continent North America?
Is the source of the Mississippi cleaner than the exit?
Is it true everyone in Minnesota is White!!!
Have you ever had Lutefisk?
Do you really only wash your cars twice a year?
Is everyone a shifty ******* like the car dealer guy from Fargo?
Have you ever seen a car/truck that wasn't pulled off the icefishing lake in time?
Do you guys honeslty have a snowmobile dealership in every town?
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

psst Fargo is in North Dakota. (If the characters in the movie are from MN, I don't know. I've never seen it)
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

[quote=""RascalJones""]psst Fargo is in North Dakota. (If the characters in the movie are from MN, I don't know. I've never seen it)[/quote]
Oh yah,,, you bet I know!?! and yes there are Minnesota characters and Minnesota is a good chunk of the setting for the movie despite Fargo being the title donchya know!!!
Flying_Bishop
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Flying_Bishop »

Have you ever had Lutefisk?
Yes I have. I ate about 5/8ths of my portion, and realized that it was not worth it. It wasn't absolutely gag-it-up repugnant, but it was just thoroughly unpleasant. Essentially, imagine that you took a piece of tilapia, and poured handsoap on it. That's Lutefisk.
Last edited by Flying_Bishop on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

We get 1/2 inch of snow in Houston and the city is shut down. Of course, that only happens once every 2 or 3 hundred years. We are currently in Summer #2. Just yesterday I had a tank top and shorts on.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON