Just ran another 5k race

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Just ran another 5k race

Post by RascalJones »

Ran in downtown, with about 6000 people for the Race for the Cure to benefit breast cancer research. I finished in 33:31. That's a little deceptive, as when you're 3000 people back, you don't really "start" when the race does, and with that many people finishing ahead of you, the finish line slows down quite a bit too. If I had to GUESS, I'd put it more in the 28-30 minute range. Still, it was fun. I didn't think I could get through it this time, I haven't run in months.

It was cool, I got to pass a guy that works right across the aisle from me at the office. He started somewhere ahead of me, and I passed him with about 3/4 mile to go. Bragging rights! w00t!

After that, came home and mowed the lawn. What else can I do today?
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Just ran another 5k race

Post by Soccerman771 »

Go do a triathalon ;)

Great job. How long have u been running 5k's? I always wanted to as I'm a pretty avid runner (ran over 500 miles last year), but I always chicken out..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

It's only my second one. Don't be a chicken. If you're doing it for you, and not the scoreboard, it's easy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Cool. I haven't run in a 5k race in a while, although I run farther than that distance fairly frequently.

I can't remember what my best time ever for a 5k was, it's been a long time (years and years) since I ran seriously in a road race. I've done 4.1 miles in like 28 minutes or so though (I'm pretty sure that was my time, roughly). It's not a remarkable time by any means but I was satisfied with it. Heh.

I'm hoping to run enough this summer to get myself in shape to run 4 miles in 25 minutes (or around there). Again, not an amazing time, but it's a good goal nonetheless.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Your times are good guys.

I'm doing a hilly 6k run on 8 June. But twisted my ankle pretty badly playing footy a week or so ago when someone slide tackled me and I went down. Still recovering from that.

Last year I was running 3.5 - 5.5 miles along public footpaths/fields/roads each lunchtime. And I was cycling 9.5 miles to work, then back, each day. Pretty tiring routine.

I did a 3.5 mile run in 27:47. That was probably my quickest.

When my ankle gets better I'm hoping to get a number of good weeks hard training in to get back to where I was, then go on from there. See how it goes.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I'm far from a "runner", or being athletic in any way. But, I was doing about 3 miles at lunch time for awhile. Even got up to about 5 miles a couple times. Then, I got lazy for the winter.

My joints are pretty sore today. Mostly my hip flexors.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Cool.

I've found it helpful to take glucosamine (spelling?), cod liver oil, and protein suppliments. Basically, the first two are for healthy joints, the latter just makes sure I get enough protein in my diet to help my muscles recover (particularly while sleeping).

Running day in, day out can put a lot of pressure on your body. I used to find running day after day (not weekends though) made my knees ache. But, by running accross fields (softer ground) and taking glucosamine suppliments I find I'm able to cope with it pretty much okay. Running off road makes your ankles work harder with pot holes, etc. but they strengthen up after a while and you're okay.
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Ouch that reminds me from the old website Rascal I did say that when I reach 36 I would do a 5k run as well and post my cough poor time. So stay tuned I will give it a shot in the next 3-4 weeks as most of my weekends are full at the moment working on the house but will try to fit it in.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Yeah, I'm going to look for a few more to do this summer.

I found a neat one coming up in October...

http://www.runwildracing.com/RaceInfo.asp?nRaceID=180
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

I find it easier to do 5-25k from the back of a horse. Your chest doesnt hurt, your legs dont go shaky, you can still breath and the view is awesome.