Nav -- I see you played Ourk

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Nav -- I see you played Ourk

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

double clicking really helps, but I've had laggy games where it was impossible to double click on a unit
I always use a minimun of 4 control groups, and it has improved my game a lot. It recommend it to everyone
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Control groups are really usefull, I use them all the time. Not just for units, but for military buildings too. Makes it much easier.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]Control groups are really usefull, I use them all the time. Not just for units, but for military buildings too. Makes it much easier.[/quote]

For military buildings exist also hotkeys since TAD. (selecting all barracks, selecting all stables etc).
I only use control group for buildings if not all buildings of one type should produce units (seldom)
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

THERE's HOTKEYS for selecting all militarybuildings of one type?

I've never regained the youthful mastery of hotkeys I had my Starcraft days but I can say they are extremely good when you can keep consistant with them.

You have to update new military units every time they pop out. You have to have a consistent enough philosphy on numbering your groups as to not easily make mistakes mid battle. I've sent hand cav to gun down pikes and my skirms to fight skirms or worse yet sending mortars into battle.

I can see where NAV's method would eliminate those possibilities provided you can drag select and isolate what you need fast enough. I can do that easily enough with 1 unite type but gets more tricky when you have 3 types of cav and need to isolate them from 4 types of infantry.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""ZoRPrimE""]THERE's HOTKEYS for selecting all militarybuildings of one type?
[/quote]

KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Usually I do this -- 1 is explorer / melee units / HI. 2 is skirmisher units / ranged units 3 is cavalry 4 is artillery 5 is barracks 6 is stables or whatever and so on.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Thats funny mine is about the same I think I'll stick to kingK's order more strictly from now on. I keep switching arounde 3, 4 and 2 should just permanent set 3 to calv and 4 to artillery.

I set my rax's to 8 and all my TC's to 9
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

The thing I find with hotkeys and control groups is that I need to play the same civilization extensively to get full benefits. For example, my control groups and buildings set to control groups look very different with france than with ottoman. Grr... I really need to choose a civ and stick with them.