Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Noobing it up!

Post by djdan »

This is me vs Al in a lil friendly clan 1v1, I'm picking up Iro again and was just wondering if anyone could take time out of their busy lives and critique it for me :)
I was unfortunately inactive whilst the Mentor/Mentee signs ups were going on so didnt get myself a mentor, so if anyone can have a look I would be grateful :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
TheFinch
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Noobing it up!

Post by TheFinch »

Would watch if I had the time :(
See you online dan.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by djdan »

Seen as N3O has its own Record game Moderators, I'm gonna bump my thread, as it still hasn't been critiqued :(
One of the first I think I've ever posted on here ;)
Will be grateful if anyone gives feedback :)
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Ok, I will take a look tonight.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Dan my advice is and for anybody else in the clan just play me! Easy win.

Here is the list of players I have beaten in a 1v1 from clan

oh its blank! lol
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

al, I'll look at it from both perspectives and give equal feedback.

Too bad you can't play yourself in 1v1...someone would HAVE to win - right? Maybe the game would just freeze?? 8O
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

watched it:

why did you put one guy on gold from the start?
queue your military units faster, sub 7 min you piled up 1k food and 600 wood, that should be spent on units

your deck needs some tuning
shipping 1 travois is pointless, dance one out or build it with vils.

overall good massing and mix of units, just try to do it faster (do you use hotkeys or set keys for rax/stable etc?)
use waypoints for military buildings

Al's double market rush was nice ;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""emperoral""]Dan my advice is and for anybody else in the clan just play me! Easy win.

Here is the list of players I have beaten in a 1v1 from clan

oh its blank! lol[/quote]

Lol. You have beaten me before. Have you forgotten that game? Must be cos it is ages ago. :D
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by djdan »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]watched it:

why did you put one guy on gold from the start?[/quote]

I can't remember why off the top of my head but i sometimes do it to get the hunting dogs early.

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]queue your military units faster, sub 7 min you piled up 1k food and 600 wood, that should be spent on units[/quote]

Yeah I noticed this :-/ think I lost concentration, not sure what I was doing

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]your deck needs some tuning
shipping 1 travois is pointless, dance one out or build it with vils.[/quote]

They sure do, I'm very poor at card choosing lol at the time I think that was the only useful card I could've sent, but I agree my decks are appauling lol

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]overall good massing and mix of units, just try to do it faster (do you use hotkeys or set keys for rax/stable etc?)[/quote]

I might not have this game but since then I have started to, and hotkeys I find just so much easier!

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]use waypoints for military buildings[/quote]

I missed this, thanks Chaos I normally would, duh, my bad! lol

Thanks for that Chaos will definately look at what you said.

After watching MrMilo's VOD on this strat I thought I would try it and Al happened to be my first proper opponent, I found it such an enjoyable strat to do!
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

djdan,
I'll look at this later. If you're looking for a mentor - I'd accept another one if you think I'm worthy. Just ping Nav and let him know I'm OK with it.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by djdan »

Thanks for the offer buddy, and its not that I don't need one, but I don't play anywhere near enough 1v1, this was like my first 1v1 in about 3/4 months, I'm much more of a team player, this was the reason I never signed up for the Montor/Mentee program in the first place :)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Okee dokee...for the "critique"

First of all, my wife loves it when you fight the monkeys 8)

Dan - use the TC to move your vils in the beginning saves good vil seconds. Eat your herdables before going to berries. Do a better job of herding towards your TC in discovery. If you are going to use your initial travois to explore, us it to explore. It sat around waiting and wondering what it was going to be used for for far too long. @ 7:00 minutes the only military on the screen was a warchief and his four horsemen (this goes for either you or al), yet both of you were stockpiling resources like it's December 1999. You sat on the 6th card and didn't send it. I agree w/Chaos about the travois card. Also, you NEVER built a firepit???? Moving 10 vils to a firepit to increase attack would have helped...

Good battle micro as that's what won you the game, but I feel you were way too passive. Mix in some tomas to help your siege power. Kanya's and Aenna's siege just stinks...

Al: You had a much better start than dan, IMO. Well, until you forgot that you could age up at 800 food and waited until you had 900. You chose your deck early, gj. I'd take out the 2 settler wagons and put in 3 dopples. You delayed your second card waaaay too long. 13 x-bows might have had a chance against the 4 horses (well they wouldn't have), but they would have faired better. You had the wood for a stable or a second rax but didn't use it. A third option would have been the arsenal. TWC civs don't get the upgrades and Uhlans>Kanya's. Build the 2nd rax and/or stable first though. Always queue vils. You had idle tc time at 7:30 while you were building your forces. You had several idle vils after 7:30. You should have herded the hunts back towards your TC. You ran out of stuff to eat and your vils got hungry, consulted the local 717 and decided to stand around until you shifted them to berries, which they hate to eat. Never a good thing. Way-point your rax and military out of your TC. GJ taking down the war-chief, but your cav died stupidly. Don't turn tail and go back home, that's too obvious. Scout with the cav and/or raid his vils. Keep him busy chasing you, but don't get the cav killed. Way too much idle tc time trying to get the res for fortress. Ship the 700 food and continue to queue a vil that way you get a vil out and can still get to fort. If you know your going to go to fort (i.e. if that's your original plan), ship 700 gold immediately then the 8 x-bows +2 horsies that way you can defend while you go to fort and can then res manage while you get a superior army. You sat on berries while you had tasty yaks just sitting there watching the idle vils collect those yucky-tasting berries. Eat the yaks. Your vils are not vegetarians. As soon as he starts his attack, send the raiding party, you were a little slow. I initially thought you were saving the 4th shipment for an age III military card, but you waited until you had a 5th shipment and then shipped an age II card. You had enough res for 2 more dopples yet you still only produced 1. I've seen you play Germans much much better, and this was obviously not your best game. he had weak seige units when he resigned. The outcome may have been the same, but my advice is don't give up until your tc is down or it's inevitable.

It's easy to critique when you're not the one playing ;)

Peace
jtackel@hotmail.com

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Okee dokee...for the "critique"

First of all, my wife loves it when you fight the monkeys 8)
[/quote]

LoL bro

[quote=""Soccerman771""]
It's easy to critique when you're not the one playing ;)
[/quote]

Thats precisly why I luv reviewing games :) and GJ with the review btw bro.

Out

PS gg Dan and Al
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by djdan »

Thanks for the critique Soccer, now for some noobish questions lol.

At the beginning, you say put vills in tc and move that way, do you use the ungarrison hotkey? Because using the mouse to do it would surely waste more time?

LOL I went berries before herds were gone, this is exactly why I asked people to review it lol.
Yeah I wasn't sure what to send in my deck, lol, this mustve been just after the patch as it was my deck from pre patch it has been changed since though.

I didnt build a firepit as I didnt think the game would last for a long time and my other vills weretied up on resources(which was then not used to make units ;) )

Yeah like I saidto Chaos this was my first 1v1 game with Iro since TWC and a new strat I've never done before, think i will incorporate some tomas like you said though, especially seen as all of Iro's col units eiterh a mix or food/wood.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""djdan""]... i will incorporate some tomas like you said though, especially seen as all of Iro's col units eiterh a mix or food/wood.[/quote]

and the fact that aennas and tommies look very similar makes it harder for the enemy to micro properly. With some colors it's really had to see the difference :twisted:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle