You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Lokelo
Corporal
Corporal

Re: My sexy little beast.

Post by Lokelo »

In my opinion Jake Shimabukuro is just the best Ukulele player in the world :D
I have been to one of his concerts and even met him once in a music store. ;)

A little sample
Killahsquirrel
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Killahsquirrel »

:o
That's a beauty there man!
I myself have a MIJ Fender strat, and I heart it <33
Got it for cheap for about $700 on craigslist instead of having to go to Japan
and threw in custom pickups :-P

Can't say I'm very good >.>, I'm trying to learn Cliffs of Dover at the moment, but some of the triplet rhythms are tough :?
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Ive never tried playing Guitar Hero but i do play with peoples mouthes on a daily basis. Does that count as a hobby?

Out
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Cliffs of Dover? That's like a Grade 8 piece, if you're not that good try and learn something easier, like Guns and Roses, very good for dexterity and fast picking.
Killahsquirrel
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Killahsquirrel »

^The harder parts I skipped - er well, played them slower.

I'm fairly proficient with songs like that though. I'm left handed and play right-handed, so I can play legato well. It's some of the staccato that I've tried improving with it.

Not like I can play it live or anything :-P , it's just great to learn to improve economic picking, learning some cool licks, and learning to apply some of the very cool colour notes he uses, like augmented 5ths/major 3rds in Aeolian etc.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

I'd like to point out I know absolutely no music theory.
Like, whatsoever. Hah, I need to learn scales, but at the moment I'm quite satisfied with trying to get the speed up on my solos. I'm self taught, so haven't thought of using much web resource. Just tabs, and Guitar Pro is nice.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

I PLAY GUITAR. and @zenze eh that guy is okay, hes not spectacular. anyone can buy a nice distortion pedal and practice a song xD
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

I play guitar but my only fans are my children. I studied guitar theory for a few years and was getting to the point where I could differentiate notes by tone. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I got caught up in school and couldn't handle doing both at the same time.

I never got into playing covers but I can still play to a good beat, but never the same thing twice. That is why I really enjoy jazz, even the same song is different the next time you hear it.

I mostly played the blues and rock. Stevie Ray Vaughn is definitely, in my opinion, the greatest guitar player of all time. I in no way compare to him and just play guitar occasionally to entertain the kids. In my opinion, if you can learn guitar theory (scales, cords, tune your own guitar without help, etc.), you can learn advanced math as well. That is, if you’re not high as a kite every time you pick up an instrument.

If you can afford private lessons teaching scales and cords, do it. You will learn 10 times faster and won't need to play other peoples stuff. That’s my 2 cents.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

hehe i started off playing blues and i myself do enjoy jazz/blues/postrock/blahblah.

if you ever need any help/suggestions w/ guitar (or piano) id be happy to help, ive been playing for five years

&also @cammel nice guitar :] gj with getting a nice gibson
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Hey Cyclo, have you heard of a band called Voodoo Blue

It's a Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute band based out of Fort Worth. The guy actually sings like SRV and the music is pretty good.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]
It's a Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute band based out of Fort Worth. The guy actually sings like SRV and the music is pretty good.[/quote]
Seems slightly strange having a SRV tribute band when the man just wanted to be Hendrix.
And Tatl damn, I would ask for some tips but you don't seem to play the same genre as me, I mean there's a huge difference between Jazzy stuff and Metal.
I've been playing about 4 years, but the first two of those were me having a guitar just because it's cool, only in recent years have I actually started finding it incredibly rewarding.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

IMO SRV>>>Hendrix. Both died young and battled drug problems. Both had similar music/guitar styles and I know SRV couldn't read sheet music. I don't think he wanted to be Jimi, I just think JH's music was the closest to what he enjoyed playing. SRV's blues are some of the best ever...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Soccer, he openly admitted he wished he could be Hendrix. He learnt Hendrix's songs note for note and played them at his concerts.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

haha well i do occasionally play some dethklok/children of bodom/systemofadown

hopefully those are metal :]

and tbh i think hendrix > SRV, srv was great and all but to me jimi just played with more feeling..

but as for me my favorite guitarists (in no particular order) happen to be randy rhoads, buckethead, kurt cobain (yes, kurtcobain aha), bob dylan, and jonny greenwood

rhoads playing is just amazing to me. he really took off when he started playing with ozzy. sadly he died in a plane crash :/

buckethead is just bizarre in alot of his songs, but thats okay because when he plays good he really delivers :D

kurt cobain was just brilliant imho

bobdylan ahaha. i happen to really like his strumming patterns :] alot

sir greenwood adds alot to radiohead, and he always seems to provide some sort of "unique" or original sort of melodies.

thats just my two cents, im not sure why i decided to type all this haha
shootbogey
Conscript
Conscript

Post by shootbogey »

My sexy little beast.....