Scouting question for our OP leaders (suggested 30+ or so)

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Scouting question for our OP leaders (suggested 30+ or so)

Post by IndyBrit »

One of the biggest areas for improvement in my game is scouting out what the other guy is doing, as I often find myself rather quickly and efficiently going down the wrong path.

I'd like to start a scouting thread that looks at: 1) good habits that you practice to help you know about what the other guy is doing, and 2) some money-tips on how you figure out what he's doing (examples - certain civ/deck/map combos you look for, certain fluctuations in the score at certain time windows in the game, when you use spies, etc)

Any tips or comments are welcome. I'm suggesting this be for high ranking players, but I'm just trying to screen for quality so if you have some solid tips that's fine whoever you are.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: Scouting question for our OP leaders (suggested 30+ or s

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Hm. Well, what I do is search for crates of gold around his TC in early age 2. If you see 600/700 gold there, he's most likely FFing.

There aren't really any civ/map combos I look for. Just the basic, like Ports and water, etc.

To be honest... I really need to improve my scouting too.

Basically I just scout for vils to raid, etc.
Last edited by Navarone_Guy on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Groovy.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Hm. Well, what I do is search for crates of gold around his TC in early age 3. If you see 600/700 gold there, he's most likely FFing.

There aren't really any civ/map combos I look for. Just the basic, like Ports and water, etc.

To be honest... I really need to improve my scouting too.

Basically I just scout for vils to raid, etc.[/quote]

Seems to me that age 3, even if it's early age 3 is a little to late to scout a ff. But what do I know?

Mac
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I pay a lot of attention to score. If the score goes down suddenly, something's going on with the other guy, like ageing. If when the score goes higher than before and he hasn't aged that means he's getting an army ;)

I don't check the deck, only in water maps to see if the dude is really going into water or not. 25 cards are a lot of cards and you can make a standard deck for all situations. I know there are some exceptions but I'm too lazy to check the deck every time ^^

Scouting for what units are being produced is very important too.

About FF and such, civs are now a bit predictable and I think there's no need to search for 700 coin card. Most civs don't FF, but that's me noobing it up :p
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I can tell a good player by the way they normally scout my hunts. They seem to find all of them and during the transition and then I often get a gutful of hussars coming my way!

Also, remember to continue moving explorer after the first 6-7 mins - which I often fail to do so!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Another thing to mention about a big score drop is the possibility of a merc shipment. Shipping mercs will cause a big drop in score followed by a boost much larger than the drop.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

Well, I guess my thoughts may not be highly valued due to my low rating and I'm just a member here but, for what it's worth I noticed a change for the better when I changed my thinking of the WC (in Aztec's case) as an Explorer first and a treasure hunter second. Scouting all the hunts, trees, enemy town, mines, etc (the entire map hopefully) cannot be overrated.

Mac
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Don't get down on yourself, Mac. All thoughts are valued and I think your corner on the Aztec market has value on it's own. BTW, I'm learning PR (ranking?) don't mean much when it comes to contributing and helping others as anyone with experience can help others ;).

@Indy, have you watched the VOD by Parfait on the top of the news section on the main front? It's not much in the way of total scouting, but does give some great insight into the spying world. I think his rating/PR is high enough for you...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Don't get down on yourself, Mac. All thoughts are valued and I think your corner on the Aztec market has value on it's own. BTW, I'm learning PR (ranking?) don't mean much when it comes to contributing and helping others as anyone with experience can help others ;).
[/quote]

Well, the title does suggest 30+ pr as well as leaders. I'm not 30+ and I'm just a member so it just seemed to me that I wasn't qualified to answer the question given the criteria presented.

Mac
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Don't get down on yourself, Mac. All thoughts are valued and I think your corner on the Aztec market has value on it's own. BTW, I'm learning PR (ranking?) don't mean much when it comes to contributing and helping others as anyone with experience can help others ;). [quote]

+1 - Mac's input is definitely valued. :)

I was just trying to avoid trivial or obvious comments so this thread has some value density not trying to be elitist or anything.

And I did watch the Parfait thing and I've been trying to add that dimension, but of course there are many topics it doesn't cover.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""IndyBrit""][quote=""Soccerman771""]Don't get down on yourself, Mac. All thoughts are valued and I think your corner on the Aztec market has value on it's own. BTW, I'm learning PR (ranking?) don't mean much when it comes to contributing and helping others as anyone with experience can help others ;).

+1 - Mac's input is definitely valued. :)

I was just trying to avoid trivial or obvious comments so this thread has some value density not trying to be elitist or anything.

And I did watch the Parfait thing and I've been trying to add that dimension, but of course there are many topics it doesn't cover.
[/quote][/quote]

It's ok Indy, I wasn't complaining about the title or any elitism on your part at all in any way. cya round...

Mac
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

dont trust your scouting too much tho, especially if he sees you doing alot of scouting, its easy to deceive. even the most trivial and obvious things can be the easiest to miss =)
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
ae2fast4u
Conscript
Conscript

Post by ae2fast4u »

If I remember correctly after you scout hunts you can see them fall meaning villes are now there.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Let's not dig up old threads, shall we? :p
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

ATM, I'm finding peppering the map with wall segments very useful. If you can push into their territory with wall segments so much the better. e.g., in a game I just played, my wall segment in his half uncovered a second TC with a mass of skirmishers - which I sent my Coyotes straight over too.

A while back, I got really caught out scouting out (with my WC) a lowish rank Spannish player dropping 700 gold in age 2. I automatically assumed he was FFing, so, I went puma heavy and stormed his base. Unfortunately, he'd used that 700 gold to build an army of Muskets and Rods and it was game over for me. Suppose I should have watched for the score drop!