Me port vs lt.col brit

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Me port vs lt.col brit

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

All hail ports! I thought I'd share a rec of ports, I'm having some success with them.

This is not my best game but I still think it was somewhat good.

He rushes me, I defend, then I attack in fortress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sporting_Lisbon on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacemaker
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Me port vs lt.col brit

Post by Peacemaker »

It says it is an invalid recorded game.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Try again now. I think it was because of the dot between lt and col ^^
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Yes it's fine now.

gg Lisbon.

I thought the Brit player was going to have difficulties when he found himself next to your forward TC at the start and tried taking it down. It let you age.

You guys are obviously in a different league to me, but my experience playing against Ports is to leave their TCs alone and concentrate on hitting their settlers with raiding. Try to contain them in that way.

Good micro sporting.

Considering he was age 2 & you 3 for so long I thought he lasted out pretty well.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Thanks ^^ Yeah, he did. He sent improved buildings and spammed towers, that slowed me down.

Leaving port's tcs alone is not good. If you don't send colonial militia ports are very susceptible against rushes, and I find myself in deep trouble when I play against aztec.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I've been struggling with Ports of late (if not always), I will give this a good watch before I decide to give up on them or not!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Don't give up on ports! I'll give you a standard build order for landmaps.

Most of people rush you, of if they don't, being able to get 15 minutemen when their army comes into your town is very good.

Makes vills and get food and try to age with 13 vills, never 14.

1st card - Colonial Militia.

Pick the 500f poli. It may sound weird, as the 400w poli is very good, but the 500f allows you to age up very fast. And as port, you have nothing to do in colo.

2nd card - 700 coin. Ship it asap.

Age up with the 6 caçadores poli.

3rd card - Now it depends on civ, but if you want to make pressure early go ahead and ship 9 musks. 9 musks + 6 caças can snipe out a lot of vills. If there's a lot of cav, 5 goons is good and depending on the situation 8 halbs is awesome. Still, there are some civs which you just can't take down in fortress, like India or civs that didn't rush you but decided to boom like hell. So, ship 1000coin, gather 200 coin, get all vills on food and get to industrial age!

Keep your vill production constant. If you're making pressure get a rax and start making musks.

4th card - If you're making pressure, ship what you need to back up your army, or gather 1000 coin and ship mamelukes! Mamelukes kill everything, period. Try them out.

If you're going to industrial age, wait until you can ship the factories. Your eco will allow you to upgrade your musks into guerreiros and then they just kill everything. If there's a lot of RI ship Elmetis and watch the massacre.

That should be enough for you to play around with ports ;)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Thanks. I'll try this tonight after watching your replays.

My FF strat was to not send a ship in age 1. I would take 400 wood poli with 14 setttlers and then drop a barracks, market and house on aging. I would then send 700 gold with 8 xbow just behind.

As soon as I had 300 gold I would move settlers off gold to wood/food. I age up about a min or so later than a straight FF but can have 13 xbow to cover while I age. I then look to build some musketeers on the transition.

I think I then lose the initiative by staying in age 3 and not going industrial. I try to build a force of organs/cassa/goons but struggle as siege is slow which gives opponent time to recover while I slowly take out their FB. I then get stuck in a meatgrinder and sometimes never get the resources back to age up.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
BenS64
Colonel
Colonel

Post by BenS64 »

nice strat i might try it out.
anyway gg sporting!
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Against non-rushing civs, yes you may and should spare the first card :)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Against non-rushing civs I usually play eco-theory as first card. Is it better to save it and play 2 colonial shipments like 700 gold then choose one of the following 8-xbow or 6 musks or 2-towers back to back?

Also, from above what poly do you age to industrial with? I usually go with the musk politician.

What about rushing with ports? I've seen an x-bow/pike spam catch people completely off guard and own people that weren't suspecting.

The last question (for now ;) )I have is for water decks. When do you go to the water? I know if you go too soon against an aggressive civ it's a no-win situation.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Yay! A proper Ports thread! :D

I wouldn't use 2 tower card - 700 wood almost gives you enough wood for 3 towers or 2 towers and a barracks/stable.

I am still working on how to hit the water best. Currently I send schooners in age 1, age up with 400 wood poli and then send 700 wood. Crucially this allows for you to build a house, barracks, first 2 fishing boats and queue up some xbows in addition to building the dock. Then send 8 xbow as next shipment. At this point I struggle with a mass 2 dock/2 tc boom or trying to hit fortress asap as it all gets a bit busy for me. I think this is a lack of skill rather than a bad BO!

On imperial I use the 4 settlers + 3 goons politician, but agree that there is plenty of choice here.

George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""ruminator""]I wouldn't use 2 tower card - 700 wood almost gives you enough wood for 3 towers or 2 towers and a barracks/stable.
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even realize that for some reason. ::/
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""ruminator""]I wouldn't use 2 tower card - 700 wood almost gives you enough wood for 3 towers or 2 towers and a barracks/stable.
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even realize that for some reason. ::/[/quote]

All that's true, but there are benefits to wagons as well. 1) don't have to collect the resource, 2) don't have to remember to build, 3) don't have settler downtime to build, and 4) don't have a settler standing there trying to build while (jans, xbows, pick your bad guy) kill your settler
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

... but if they are in your base they can kill the wagon before it builds and then you lose the shipment, so swings and roundabouts I guess!

George Wallace