Ruthlessness

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Ruthlessness

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Any thoughts on the "new take" Ruthlessness card for Aztec?

I had a "moment" with it in a game I played the other day. I'd massed Coyotes (25 of them or something), got the Ruthless upgrade, and then ran at my enemies TC. When I arrived he'd built three farms behind it and I got my Coyotes between those farms, filled with settlers, and his TC. It was better than sex :).
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Ruthlessness

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Aren't erks useless now or they are still handy?
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

They still do their job, but they aren't OP anymore.
Groovy.
MizzKid92
Conscript
Conscript

Post by MizzKid92 »

Coyotes with invisibility and ruthlessness and the speed upgrade are INSANE. But that takes 3 cards...
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

+ the age 3 +20% damage upgrade (& coyotes) shipment you can get for 1000 gold.

Eagles aren't so great anymore. Although, in age 3, people are still going to be using them because they're a knight (and so get the +15% dam/hit upgrades). If you're against spain, you'll still need them for those Lancers!
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

They still do their job, but they aren't OP anymore.
Doing their job isn't the point here, working a terminator unit that you can spam and then add things to complement your army is what I'm refering to :p

Mace and coyos with some erks and jags complementing looks hotter, no?
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Sun_Tzu1""]Any thoughts on the "new take" Ruthlessness card for Aztec?

I had a "moment" with it in a game I played the other day. I'd massed Coyotes (25 of them or something), got the Ruthless upgrade, and then ran at my enemies TC. When I arrived he'd built three farms behind it and I got my Coyotes between those farms, filled with settlers, and his TC. It was better than sex :).[/quote]

I'll take your word for it....
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Mace and coyos with some erks and jags complementing looks hotter, no?
I think so.

Erk spam is more mobile though. However, with Eagle Ruthlessness gone and their range nerfed I'd rather have the variety of units.

The other thing with Aztec is conceptually they're not designed to go pure knights at age 3 anyway because of the army big buttons at 15-30+ minutes. If you've got a Mace big button, for example, that gives you cheap Maces, then it kind of makes you want to spend the resources on the age 3 Warhut Mace upgrade to make the most of that.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Sun_Tzu1""]Any thoughts on the "new take" Ruthlessness card for Aztec?

I had a "moment" with it in a game I played the other day. I'd massed Coyotes (25 of them or something), got the Ruthless upgrade, and then ran at my enemies TC. When I arrived he'd built three farms behind it and I got my Coyotes between those farms, filled with settlers, and his TC. It was better than sex :).[/quote]

sweet, I think I found which civ to start playing again 8)
although I lost whatever skills I had lol, I could hardly beat an expert comp yesterday. Havent used a mouse for over 30 days ==> bye bye micro
whoever wants to beat the crap outha me, now is the time ;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

Chaos, fyi, there's some decent Aztec replays to watch from a recent Gameplays tournament. They were required to rotate civs in some fashion that I can't describe here, but one thing I noticed is that almost everytime someone used Aztec, they won. Here's the link...

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/in ... forum=2177
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]whoever wants to beat the crap outha me, now is the time ;)[/quote]

Hint, hint: Sporting & Nav, it is now time for revenge rematch against him for your losses in tourney??? :D
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Hehehehehehe I luv the way Roger can just spike up the room with total innocence and good intentions.

Out
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

Ja, I am a pure angel. :D
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

I think I'm right in saying ERKs now take double damage from skirms, previously x1.5 damage.

That's a real killer for the ERK spam.

I'm now wondering if it's worth revisiting age 3 Puma Spearmen over the ERK.

ERKs and Puma Spearman both take double damage from skirms. However, at least Puma Spearman can melee them. Interestingly, my feeling is that Puma Spearman perform better against cav, settlers, certainly buildings, plus, they can benefit from both the infantry & warhut training shipments, and, the ruthlessness shipment.

Now, the 1000 gold puma spearman is an interesting one. I've never really used it and I've not particularly seen it in anyone elses deck. However, it doesn't make the Puma Spearman stronger, rather, it makes it faster (-> 6 speed). So, I'd imagine it becomes possible to raid with Puma Spearman. Killing buildings (excellent seige) + villagers (with the ruthlessness upgrade).

Hmmmm... I'm almost talking myself into a style of play which more or less ignores Knights/Nobles Huts altogether - except the ones you can BB or ship.

Raiding with Coyotes and Pumas might be interesting.
Zephyr_JimmyJames07
Private
Private

Post by Zephyr_JimmyJames07 »

Its not as good of a card now, theres nothing like 6 speed with a ranged attack. u can also mellee the eagles too. so it was SOOO much better with the eagles. Eagles seem to still be the same as before, good Ranged attack, 30% RR and a higher bonus v cav.

What is there range now? more then a musket? and how much is there range with that card?