Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Windows vista/laptops

Post by kingchrisII »

Hey all

Just wondered if u can load up aoe3 original onto a vista, as i may be getitng a laptop, with vista, and a lady in the shop told my dad (while getting my mums laptop) that vista only can have 07 or later games, and me and my dad think thats rubbish, so i asked u guys lol :D

Which brings me to my next point!! does anyone here play on a laptop, if so whats it like, any different from a normal comp?? better/worse

thanks for any answers!
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: Windows vista/laptops

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

That lady didn't know what she was talking about. Below is an issue with AOE and Vista, but apart from that it's pretty much ok.

Known Issue: "This program has known compatibility issues" alert on Windows Vista

This alert appears when installing or launching Age III (not Warchiefs) on any version of Windows Vista. It specifically refers to an issue with how the in-game autopatcher works under Windows Vista security settings.

To correct the autopatch functionality, download and apply the latest stand alone patch.

1) Download the latest Age of Empires III patch from our game updates page.

2) Once the patch has been downloaded to your PC, you just need to double click on it to update your game.

For any future patches, you will be able to update the game with our in-game auto update feature. Access this by clicking on "Help and Tools" from the main menu, then "Update Game".

As for gaming on a laptop, it depends entirely on the hardware. If you know the specs of the laptop, post them up and I'll let you know what standards of gaming you can expect.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Here's a solution. Don't get Vista. It hates ALL applications.
Groovy.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Vista is not all bad, your just better off waiting until SP1 is officialy released.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Here's a solution. Don't get Vista. It hates ALL applications.[/quote]

I have not had a single problem with Vista on my new laptop. I have all kinds of software and hardware that's been installed on it without problem. I had to download a couple patches, but other than that it's been perfect.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

well my dad was looking around and nearly all the laptops are vista
somethign liek this :

256 graphics
2 gig of ram
1.4 duel core processor

This is all i know, hows that??

thanks i think ill purchase myself one then, but i dont care about aoe3, i just need it on the comp so i can put tad on it :)

now comes the question xbox 360 or laptop?
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

If you are old school, Vista has problems with IPX/SPX. However, this won't matter to you. :)

Laptop >>> Xbox 360, but
Desktop >>> laptop, unless you just need the mobility. I just mention this b/c you are thinking Xbox 360 as an alternative, which is not mobile.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

My last 2 work laptops could both run TWC, albeit on lower settings than my desktop (don't tell my boss!).

While there are gaming specific laptops (eg Alienware), what you really need is one with a dedicated (that's the key word to look for) graphics card in and not one where it's shares the main RAM for graphics. Without going into too much spec, look for Nvdia or ATI logos on the adverts!

Unless you want to pay £1,500+ expect some level of compromise against the performance of a laptop and a typical desktop.

That lady in the shop should be shot - people like her are a menace to normal PC owners!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

im glad i read this as i will be installing aoe tonight =D
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

I to hated Vista for a long long time. A whole bunch of programs simply didnt work. Alot of hardware, including a half decent printer, could not b installed on m new PC. Vista forced me 2 buy a new modem bcos i simply wasnt able 2 join games onESO. After installing the service pack and buying my new modem all my probs went away.

With regards to laptops and Age of Empires let me tell u this..... Sporting_Lisbon plays on a laptop. Imagine what his little fingers could do a proper keyboard :)

Out
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Laptops ftw! Woot, Laptop's keyboard is awesome, there's no need for those hard-to-press and noisy keys :D

Laptop is ok, my Laptop's RAM just sucks but that's the only thing (that, and being old but that happens to desktops too :p).