Computer lagging

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

Computer lagging

Post by 36drew »

My PC performance is so bad at the moment, that I cannot play a single game due to the lag. I had some virus/spyware issues (which nothing seemed to remedy even after I paid $50 for full versions) and my computer is driving my insane. I seem to have errors all over the place. Installing various anti-virus/spyware programs only seemed to make all my problems worse.

I really don't know where to begin and i'm close to throwing my computer out the window. Any suggestions?
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Computer lagging

Post by KingKaramazov »

Your only option may be to reformat. :-\
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I was thinking about that. Can I do that (being that I know nothing about tech stuff).
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I'm sorry as I can't help very much, but you might want to try defragmenting. That could speed up your computer a little bit. You may want to try deleting useless junk, as it can slow down your computer by taking up space. Other than that, I don't really know.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Formatting and re-installing all of your software isn't too hard. I can write you up a list of instructions if you are going to do it.

Other options may be too try restoring your computer to an earlier point. If this has only happened recently, try this. Go to: start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore, pick a date where you know your computer was operating ok and restore it to this time. You can also try the disc defragmenter (this is also under system tools). Try this before you decide to go for a full format.

On another note, you may want to try and work out why your computer has slowed up so much so it doesn't happen again. One reason may be if you are using any software to download ie: shareware software. Something like bearshare or shereza can really clog up your computer and make it run like it's 10 years old.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Thx for advice. The thing is, it normally is running pretty good, but when in the game is when its lagging like mad.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^Also, if I use the system restore feature, will it undo viruses that have been loaded onto here? I know for a fact I have viruses/spyware on here somewhere.
Sluggs
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Sluggs »

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I'm also looking at the system restore thing and I no 'accessories' menu in all programs. I also cannot use the search feature on my computer to locate files and folders. I believe in was part of the virus or problem or whatever.

EDIT: I'm running spybot search and destroy atm. AVG found nothing earlier.

EDIT: And if it helps any, i'm pretty sure its a .dll file that is giving me the grief. I made the mistake of opening some damn adult matierial that I shouldn't have.
Last edited by 36drew on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sluggs
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Sluggs »

sounds pretty serious. Is your computer a newer computer and do you have your restore discs that came with it?
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Sluggs""]sounds pretty serious. Is your computer a newer computer and do you have your restore discs that came with it?[/quote]

Hmm. It is semi-new. I might have the discs. Although its a dell straight from the factory and I swear it did not come with any (is that even possible?)
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Hmm, you could try it. Now that I know you have a Dell from the factory, a full install will be a problem as they don't provide you with any of the discs you need such as the Opertaing System or Drivers (although drivers can be downloaded).
Try giving the Quick Restore disc a try I reckon.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]Hmm, you could try it. Now that I know you have a Dell from the factory, a full install will be a problem as they don't provide you with any of the discs you need such as the Opertaing System or Drivers (although drivers can be downloaded).
Try giving the Quick Restore disc a try I reckon.[/quote]

Sadly, it was from my old PC. :(
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

You could contact Dell and they should send you out a restore disc if you can't find it.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

AVG seems to have found a trojan horse downloader this time around. My fingers are crossed.