General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

MNBob
Honorary Officer

Wacko updated his balance summary today

Post by MNBob »

Link

One thing that stands out and explains a lot about Chinese:
Their team cards (team 7 manchu, team 5 hand mortars) were age4 cards in testing but were apparently moved to age3. Need to either reduce the number received with the shipment or move them in age (I assume we’ll reduce the number).
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Wacko updated his balance summary today

Post by RascalJones »

No note about giving India another villager or extra wood crate at the beginning. That would help a bunch.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

The problem with China isn't their age 3 team cards (Although they are OP), it's their absurd age 2.
Groovy.
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]The problem with China isn't their age 3 team cards (Although they are OP), it's their absurd age 2.[/quote]
Those cards are a problem in team games. Disciples are the biggest problem in 1v1.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]The problem with China isn't their age 3 team cards (Although they are OP), it's their absurd age 2.[/quote]
Here !Here!
I had some one scream china OP when I was age 5 in a FFA!!!!!

China and India need fixing. I think Japan is probably balanced. Having said that I'm going to go read the link MNBob posted
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

I do not think the Aztecs issues are resolved here. Imagine if the Aztecs had an Age 2 politician half as good as China's White Pagoda (really, half as good +50% HP and damage) + a couple Jags would be an awesome choice. Swashbuckler is useless considering you risk losing your XP bonus. +50% HP on the WC would be worth the extra time spent aging up.

Also, I hate critical hits and random conversions. I like the math of the game, but this makes them impossible to compare. I think that is why they turned out so powerful. I would be happy if that crap was removed altogether. Randomness does not belong in a strategy game. At least make it some percentage so low it could be ignored, like 0.01%. Maybe once per game…

In chess, are bishops allowed to move sideways 10% of the time? Can pawns occasionally go backwards? Hell no, it would make it impossible to force a move and see ahead. The stomp, dodge, critical hit, conversion, etc. really took a lot out of the game for me. It is not unique or interesting, it is a really bad idea and should be patched out.
Last edited by Cyclohexane on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I totally agree with Cyclo, the randomness does not belong here
I'm seriously thinking about picking up chess again btw
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

I agree to. Some changes just arent AOE. Maybe in some age of mythology expansion/remake. But BHG just crossed a line there, ES should have stopped them.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

And for chinese, the handmortars should get a nerf, once they get ahaed in a game, it is so easy for them to dominate with 10 handmortars shelling your base and having a big army ready to counter verything you throw at them.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

As for strategy board games, my 4yo son would kick all your butts at checkers....back to the debate.

Personally, I hate the weak attack that the Indian monks have, with only the .05% chance (or whatever) of getting a "stomp". At least they have the stun capability for treasure hunting, otherwise, they'd be worthless at it.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Stuns and criticals should be limited to fighting against treasure guardians - that would solve the issue without removing a "cool" feature, imo (ES never removes features, really).
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Stuns and criticals should be limited to fighting against treasure guardians - that would solve the issue without removing a "cool" feature, imo (ES never removes features, really).[/quote]

I would be ok with that, even increasing the effectiveness vs. guardians in the process. As it is now, it drives me crazy knowing it is there.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

I like the ideas for india, +1 vill -1 food crate and such