Falconet micro?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Puddleglum
Private
Private

Falconet micro?

Post by Puddleglum »

I'm curious how people micro their falconets. Specifically I am thinking of early Fortress with 2 falconets, when both armies are mostly a mix of ranged infantry. Do you select one, then shift-click down the row of infantry, select the other, and shift-click a different set? Do you alternate shift-clicking every other soldier in the row to make sure you don't waste a shot on an injured unit? Do you try to move back and forth between infantry micro and falconet micro? My problem is I tend to just let the infantry run on auto pilot while I am picking the best places to aim my falconet. Does anyone know how falconets will behave, in terms of which unit it will target when left on it's own? Does it aim for the weakest unit, or the strongest unit, or the strongest unit that it can kill in one shot? If the latter, I should probably just leave them alone and focus on my other units. Thoughts?
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle"
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: Falconet micro?

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Falconets behave like any other unit, so they attack the closest enemy. Managing your falconets is more important than other units, because each shot counts far more. I don't shift-click or anything-I just have them each fire at different clumps of enemies. Then again, I never used cannons...
Groovy.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Don't you play anything besides china and port? ^^
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I think falconets tend to target the most remote, insignificant target they can, you know some lone musketeer with 1HP just standing there pondering the workings of the universe trying to understand the mind of God whilst scratching his arse and not even participating in the battle. At least thats what mine tend to do if I leave them alone. Then if I suggest to them and ask them to target a dense mass of units they revolt at the idea of being actually asked to do the job you built them for and spend the rest of the battle undeploying moving a millimeter closer, then redeploying, realising that the millimeter of movement wasn't enough to get into range of the target and undeploying and repeating the whole process until the enemy finally destroys them after only firing a shot! Well you did ask for my thoughts on them. :-P

Other then these minor flaws I think falcs are great. I think its best if you target every other soldier so that the combined splash damage received from the falcs shot will kill the unit instead of merely injuring them.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

I get the fa lcs attacking the biggest mass of ranged infantry. F alcs are very very good, if you protect them they win games. I always tryed to get 5 or 6 of them when playing germans or spain.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I think falconets tend to target the most remote, insignificant target they can, you know some lone musketeer with 1HP just standing there pondering the workings of the universe trying to understand the mind of God whilst scratching his arse and not even participating in the battle. At least thats what mine tend to do if I leave them alone. Then if I suggest to them and ask them to target a dense mass of units they revolt at the idea of being actually asked to do the job you built them for and spend the rest of the battle undeploying moving a millimeter closer, then redeploying, realising that the millimeter of movement wasn't enough to get into range of the target and undeploying and repeating the whole process until the enemy finally destroys them after only firing a shot! Well you did ask for my thoughts on them. :-P

Other then these minor flaws I think falcs are great. I think its best if you target every other soldier so that the combined splash damage received from the falcs shot will kill the unit instead of merely injuring them.[/quote]

Post of the week..(maybe of the month)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Actually, Sporting, I play Ports, Germans, Indians, Japanese, Chinese, French, British, Ottomans, Sioux, Aztecs, yeah... any others I'm forgetting?
Groovy.
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I like how Blackadder thinks. Very entertaining...
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

So why no falcs then?
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Actually, Sporting, I play Ports, Germans, Indians, Japanese, Chinese, French, British, Ottomans, Sioux, Aztecs, yeah... any others I'm forgetting?[/quote]

Iroquois, Dutch, Spanish, Russians or do you not play those?
Puddleglum
Private
Private

Post by Puddleglum »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I think falconets tend to target the most remote, insignificant target they can, you know some lone musketeer with 1HP just standing there pondering the workings of the universe trying to understand the mind of God whilst scratching his arse and not even participating in the battle. At least thats what mine tend to do if I leave them alone. Then if I suggest to them and ask them to target a dense mass of units they revolt at the idea of being actually asked to do the job you built them for and spend the rest of the battle undeploying moving a millimeter closer, then redeploying, realising that the millimeter of movement wasn't enough to get into range of the target and undeploying and repeating the whole process until the enemy finally destroys them after only firing a shot! Well you did ask for my thoughts on them. :-P

Other then these minor flaws I think falcs are great. I think its best if you target every other soldier so that the combined splash damage received from the falcs shot will kill the unit instead of merely injuring them.[/quote]

Well, this doesn't help my falcon micro any, but it certainly made me laugh. Genius!
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle"
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Well many times I have relied on falconets to obliterate the enemy and they have buggered up. You could blame this on bad micro, but I prefer to blame ES and God. Its just easier.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]So why no falcs then?[/quote]

Cause I find cannons boring. Cavalry are more fun. No matter what civ I am (if I'm Dutch, I'll just spam mercs instead of cannons), you'll never see me making cannons until I'm age 4 and have 2 factories up.

@Rasc: I don't play those civs. I guess I could, but I just don't like them. Dutch are boring and essentially cannons/skirm/halb spam, Russians are just strelet rushing, Iro are noobs ;) , and the Spanish are also noobs.
Groovy.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]So why no falcs then?[/quote]

Cause I find cannons boring. Cavalry are more fun. No matter what civ I am (if I'm Dutch, I'll just spam mercs instead of cannons), you'll never see me making cannons until I'm age 4 and have 2 factories up.

@Rasc: I don't play those civs. I guess I could, but I just don't like them. Dutch are boring and essentially cannons/skirm/halb spam, Russians are just strelet rushing, Iro are noobs ;) , and the Spanish are also noobs.[/quote]

I sense a bit of contradiction here?
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""djdan""][quote=""Navarone_Guy""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]So why no falcs then?[/quote]

@Rasc: I don't play those civs. I guess I could, but I just don't like them. Dutch are boring and essentially cannons/skirm/halb spam, Russians are just strelet rushing, Iro are noobs ;) , and the Spanish are also noobs.[/quote]

I sense a bit of contradiction here?[/quote]

U misread this, he meant " if I'm Deutsch (=german), I'll just spam mercs instead of cannons " :twisted: