Navarone's guide to the "People's Army"

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Navarone's guide to the "People's Army"

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Well, I finally decided to throw together a guide to China. I've been playing them recently in 1v1 and have been kicking some serious ass. My 1v1 ELO has jumped over 100 points and that's only after 10 games, all of which I've won. Case in point: China = pwn. I've even beaten a level 39 Ottoman brigadier (on a TC map) with them.

Anyway, here's the rundown.

Generally I do a basic disciple FF most of the time except when I'm against a heavy infantry rushing civ, meaning the Ottomans, Japanese, Indians, or Spanish. If you are matched up against one of those civs, I'd suggest fighting them in colonial with the old han army. CKN are great in colonial and have the damage of a skirmisher for 2/3 of the cost. All in all a GREAT unit. The qiang pike does the job against cavalry, has great siege, and is dirt cheap and a great meatshield with 110 hp for 60 wood.

Necessary cards:

Age 1:
5 disciples

Age 2:
7 steppe riders
8 chu ko nu
9 qiang pikes
700 gold

Age 3:
10 arquebusiers
11 changdao
4 iron flails
7 hand mortars

Age 4: None

Recommended cards:

Age 1:
300 food
holy refuge

Age 2:
700 food
700 wood
8 chu ko nu and 1 flamethrower for 500 food

Age 3:
5 meteor hammers
13 chu ko nu
14 qiang pikes
territorial army combat
Repelling volley

Age 4:
Walk the rice paper
Old Han reforms
+8% hp/attack for all units

The rundown on the strategy:

If you're not against an uber heavy infantry civ, I'd suggest doing a standard disciple FF.

DISCIPLE FF

Age 1: Standard age 1, blah blah blah, keep your disciple with your monk and gather treasures like mad. If the map is completely devoid of treasures, send 300 food to speed your age up. Otherwise, send 5 disciples and kick some treasure guardian ass. Put your starting goat on the village and eat it in age 2 when it's almost fully fattened. Age to colonial with 4 vils on the 400 food/resource trickle wonder (Put it behind your base) and switch a few vils to gold depending on how much gold you have so that you have have 300.

Age 2: Keep gathering treasures and send 700 gold ASAP, gather the 400 food, set the wonder to food. Once you get the shipment of gold and have enough resources to age, age with the disciple wonder. If he rushes with heavy infantry in age 2, send 8 CKN who, if microed well, can easily destroy a rush if aided by irregulars/sentries and TC fire. Meanwhile build the wonder behind your base.

Age 3: Send 10 arquebusiers ASAP and go on the offense with your 18 disciples, monk, and 10 arquebusiers. Switch the wonder to wood. 10 arquebusiers is enough to 1 shot a vil and they have 20 range, so take advantage of that. The disciples are more for tanking and they can shred anything but heavy infantry. That's what your arque are for. Anyway, keep sending age 3 shipments depending on the situation and build up a blob of guys. Build a consulate and go Brits or Germans, throw down a rax, and make villages to support your massive army. Once you build up a sizable anti-cav force, send 7 hand mortars and start sieging his base. If they get killed, make a castle and start making more. That should be enough to finish him off.

Age 4: If it somehow gets to this you're in trouble. Send another monk for a super meatshield and send old han reforms so your CKN and qiang pikes are invincible and charge for the kill. The longer the game goes on, the worse of a position you're in.

COLONIAL FIGHTING

Same age 1 as the FF. The wonder, however, depends. You may want the banner army wonder or the flying crow wonder. It depends on the situation.

Age 2: Send 8 CKN first thing, throw down a rax and some villages, set your vils maybe 60% wood, 40% food, and change that depending on what you're doing. Make the old han army and try to overwhelm him or at least last to age 3 in which case you can trash him with your superior age 3 army.

Ages 3 and 4 are up to you.

Tips:

Keep your disciples the hell away from his TC! In ages 1 and 2, one town center shot is enough to kill a disciple and they're far too valuable to lose that way.

Send holy refuge later on when you have nothing better to send. It gives you a monestary rickshaw and makes all monestary improvements cost half as much. That gives you three good upgrades. Monk aura for +20% hp/attack for all nearby disciples for 100 resources, +20% hp/attack for disciples for 200 resources, and +21 attack for the monk for 350 resources. It also allows you to train mercs which are good in age 3.

6 disciples and 1 monk can eventually kill a vil by hacking at it long enough. If you find a lone vil building his FB, see if you can kill it in time.

Hope this helped!
Groovy.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Navarone's guide to the "People's Army"

Post by Soccerman771 »

Yeah, why couldn't you have posted this about 5 days ago..you know BEFORE I played LaZy....
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

:'( You are teaching people how to lame!
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]:'( You are teaching people how to lame![/quote]

Eh, it's about time he did something. He played Germans forever.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""NEO_CrAz3n""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]:'( You are teaching people how to lame![/quote]

Eh, it's about time he did something. He played Germans forever.[/quote]

there's nothing wrong with germany now :/

down with the laming! :evil:

and always age up with Porcelain tower imho, it's simply OP.

I was hoping for something original... like a FI or something else, but no... disciple FF w00t w00t
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

bah laming!!
guide to germans ftw!!
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Disciple FF is OP. If you meet a player who knows how to play and micro right, an average player like me has no chance to beat him imo. I had a pretty good 2 vs 2 with a mate vs a chinese FF and an Indian player: http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameS ... _Supremacy

I went for a Semi-FF while building strelets like nothing. When i reached Age 3 i switched them to Veteran-Muskets while they were attacking us. My mate had Achigarus so we had about 60-70 Muskets. The Disciples were pretty uneffectful and we could beat their first attack pretty easy. After that we made more pressure, but i think ~3.000.000 Hand-Mortars kept us away for some time. So you can beat china's FF, but you need plenty of troops and most civs (and most players) can't really handle this in an 1 vs 1 i think.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Uhhh... Well, you could go Dutch, or any strong cav civ. China's anti-cav is worthless.

Also, CHAOS, I played Germans back when the uhlan bug existed. Germany was completely and utterly worthless beyond all reason.
Groovy.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I can't really handle spamming cav and if the china dude knows that i'll go for cav he'll rush me. So he has so much more troops than i got cav and i think 25 pikes will do fine vs 10 or 12 horses. I think spamming troops (muskets or maybe spanish rods - haven't tried doppels (+ free uhlans) yet) and waiting for the chinese attack is the best choice to counter them. Dutch, well, if you have enough Halbs it may work, depends on how quick you are :). And i don't like the fact that you have to choose your civ after your opponent picked one. I would never kick a chinese player, cause china is available and people paid for the game and should play what they want, but it's really frustrating losing vs an opponent who did'nt outplay you. Nevertheless, it's a good guide. Thanks for that :).
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]China's anti-cav is worthless.[/quote]

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]The qiang pike does the job against cavalry, has great siege, and is dirt cheap and a great meatshield with 110 hp for 60 wood.[/quote]

8O

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Also, CHAOS, I played Germans back when the uhlan bug existed. Germany was completely and utterly worthless beyond all reason.[/quote]

I know, but why not play em now when they are a well balanced civ?
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

If I am playing as booming civ like British, then how do I counter the disciple FF and then later the hand mortars supported by the infantries?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Whatever you do, include cav.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Roger_The_Rogue""]If I am playing as booming civ like British, then how do I counter the disciple FF and then later the hand mortars supported by the infantries?[/quote]

Hope it's a water map ;)

Hide your stable and take out the hand mortar when they show up. China really doesn't have much siege power than that. Also, focus fire on the monk. If you kill him you take out 1/2 the forward base.

China may be OP, but they are beatable. Don't just sit back and let them do what they want.

The later you take the game with China the larger your advantage.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
sylvalex311
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sylvalex311 »

Nav I support you!
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

A few months ago, one of the experts played a number of Souix vs. China games and built axe riders. Just before each battle, he put a bunch of villies on the firepit. It worked great. I tried it against a msgt and it worked surprisingly well for me in colonial. It was a slam dunk. My China opponent was amazed. Also, get the coyote card and start to mix them in too. Something to try...