Being rushed as Dutch

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Being rushed as Dutch

Post by ruminator »

Hi! Anyone have a BO for anti-rush as Dutch. I lost 5 straight last night being rushed to death. I find that skirmishers are often too slow for hit and run as prowler knights, janns etc seem to be able to close and melee them if I want to stop and shoot.

It seems difficult to balance wood between banks, barracks, housing etc in early age 2. I think that say 13 rather than just 8 pikes would be a help.

I was also nailed by a good Indian who hit me early with those muskets and then continually harrassed my hunt with extra gurkhas and camels. He had an age up the same time as me, so obviously just went with starting villagers only. I'll see if I have a rec (for the Indian skill not my bad play!).
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Being rushed as Dutch

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

CM > rush, but you will get flamed probably
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I only saw one game vs India for you....and you won. Are you mistaking it for another civ?

http://www.elorating.com/portal/portal/ ... &offset=10
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

My advice if you know you are going to get rushed is to make certain you age with the 200g +tower and build an extra tower. Have the extra mm in your deck as well and the 8 pikes. WHATEVER you do, if you know you are facing a very hard rush (russian/otto) hold off building banks until you have the first wave beaten. I'll see if I can find a B.O.

The Dutch strength is their age 3 army and a semi-ff will almost always beat back a hard rusher as they pour more into military than eco.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""RascalJones""]I only saw one game vs India for you....and you won. Are you mistaking it for another civ?

http://www.elorating.com/portal/portal/ ... &offset=10[/quote]

It does not appear on the ratings for some reason. Thinking back, I think I lost 6 straight last night so at least 2 haven't shown. I'm always happy for losses to disappear from the ratings!

On the CM point, I've never really taken to it in the past. I used to have it when I played Ports in vanilla, but rarely played it. I'm beginning to think that this may be a must have for my Dutch deck, even if just for the increased TC damage.

I would still play 3 settlers as first card and then 700 wood as second, so presumably play CM as third card depending on scouting. The xp from 2-3 banks will result in the 3rd ship arriving pretty quick anyway.

I lost one Aztec game as he got my t/c down but I couldn't then recover my explorer who died in their base while scouting. Is there any tactic to recover a European explorer with no t/c? I had to make at least 3 suicide raids with hussars to get him back from between two noble huts.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""ruminator""]
I lost one Aztec game as he got my t/c down but I couldn't then recover my explorer who died in their base while scouting. Is there any tactic to recover a European explorer with no t/c? I had to make at least 3 suicide raids with hussars to get him back from between two noble huts.[/quote]

That's about all you can do. The explorer card for dutch allows you to build a TC for 199 wood, and build it faster. If you had an outpost hidden on the edge of the map (always useful for getting shipments if you lose your TC), you could send this shipment, revive and get your TC restored pretty quick. The other alternative would be to no let him burn your TC ;)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

always age up with 400 wood as Dutch unless you're doing some weird strat (like the fast petard FF).

ship 3 vils first (or food trickle if you like or explorer card if lots of treasures)
when aged (try with max 16 vils) put up a rax asap
build a bank and ship the bank wagon
spam some skirms
if it's a hard rush, ship CM and gather food/coin to call both MM batches
if the rush got repelled, ship 700 wood and get 2 more banks up
vs heavy inf rushes, build a strategic wall to protect ur skirms
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Stay in colonial for a bit and get 10 skirms + 3 hussars shipped fast (or 8 pikes). Just chill and play CM and pike off the enemy slowly and get all 4 banks up. I also usually put the 2 tower card in my deck if i'm playing against a strong rushing civ as dutch. I've actually never thought about aging w/ tower + 200 gold, and as i'm doing the match in my head, it might not actually slow down an ff at all.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Walling up helps your skirms too.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

VS heavy inf rushes, send 300 wood as first card and get 400 wood age up.

All settlers on food. Herd

Send 700 gold as second card and age up. Third card CM. Make sure u got 550 food extra for MM. Dont be afraid sending 700 food when its a very strong early rush to get those minutemen and loosing a few settlers..

When you see your TC is doomed, send explorer card and save your settlers. Rebuild.

A good defensive will always win vs an average rush.

A very good rush will win against an average defensive, but then your opponent is probably a better player than you.
QuadriplegicCow
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by QuadriplegicCow »

I don't know if much has changed in TAD but I never had problems fending off a rush with a 3 bank fast fortress, i think the strat was called the bank spank. Can anyone tell me if this strategy is still viable in TAD?
live_long_spark
Conscript
Conscript

Post by live_long_spark »

Constant Skirm micro....once u have about 25 skirms make a few pike and grenadiers. I always send the 2 outpost card which really helps if they r placed right. :D
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

[quote=""QuadriplegicCow""]I don't know if much has changed in TAD but I never had problems fending off a rush with a 3 bank fast fortress, i think the strat was called the bank spank. Can anyone tell me if this strategy is still viable in TAD?[/quote]

I'd say 3 bank sounds about right if you are being rushed, if you can get it off you should be straight. I've never really been up against any really hard rushers but yea the two towers card instead of 600w after you have already shipped 3vils, 700w, 1 bank wgn. Works at the sergeant level :)
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

2 towers really should be a last rescue for desperate situation.
You dont want to be defending to long.
Because a good rusher will just cut you off resources, have easy acces himself to all the map and the resources and build up more military until he thinks he will own you.

You are either building your economy while defending or building military to go on the attack.