Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Sioux (Flamenco) vs. Aztec (Me)

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

A 54 min game - so watch at speed!

To his credit, Flamenco had me on the defense right from the start by immediately raiding with Axe and Bow Riders. I spent the first part of the game trying to stay alive and secure my base. At one point, I was even throwing my WPs at him.

After walling off and defending for a while I knew I had to push or it would be game over. I was able to drop stealthed Jags right in the middle of his Wakina Rifles. Then I pushed through with the army I had - which included a number of Skull Knights. I was able to take down most of his Corrals, etc, and nearly broke through to his eco, but I was holted by a number of dog soldiers. I assume he BBed them.

Then back to defending again :(. In the end, he resigned. I suspect it was mainly frustration!

I survived a game I probably should have lost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sun_Tzu1 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Sioux (Flamenco) vs. Aztec (Me)

Post by Soccerman771 »

Ok, you actually won that game? You mush have seriously frustrated him. Though I have to say, for the eco you had, not bad at all. Since sioux cannot make walls, you should have taken advantage of this. You didn't scout his base at all, and if he was smart would have pulled trade monopoly on you at about 24 minutes into the game.

Things to improve - scout and raid. Get more settlers. You maxed out at 63 and didn't use the water, yet you scored right along with him. Use the water. You could have flanked him and wiped him out in the 10-15 minute window.

Things you did well - good turtle. Walls against sioux is a good deal. You did very well in quelling his raids. I really liked the meat-shield you pulled on the cloaked units at about 45 - 50 minutes into the game.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Re: Sioux (Flamenco) vs. Aztec (Me)

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Thanks for the feedback Soccerman :).

In game, I hadn't registered I'd maxed out on 63 villagers - got quite a surprise when I viewed the post game stats. I suspect what happened was that around the 30 min mark I was eager to start BBing so I wanted to fill all 200 pop spaces quickly - with military units - before I clicked on my BBs. I'm really going to have to watch that.

Yes, I should have used the water. I guess that mentally, because I didn't have any water cards in my deck at all, I assumed that the water was "his". This was me being lazy, these days, I'm only using one deck! I think I took out the schooner card last time I reviewed it.

I'm starting to get an appreciation for Jag Prowlers. Up until recently, I would very rarely use them ingame at all. But I've rethought them. Some notes:

(1) 'They're weak against Infantry'

But, if you stealth Jag Prowlers straight into melee combat against infantry the Jag Prowlers come out on top.

(2) They don't get their upgrade until age 4, and it's 2000 gold, c.f. Arrow Knights & Eagles

This is true. However, there are 3 dam/hp upgrade cards to play in age 3. That's more than enough to be beefing up your Jag Prowlers. And, if you focus on these three upgrades they beef up your other knights too - extra bonus - whereas the upgrades for Eagles and Arrow Knights only upgrade those units.

(3) Jags are slow

This is true. However, they have other strengths. For example, they do okay against buildings and settlers. Eagles are weak in both those areas until you do the upgrades to make up for those weaknesses. And, that's two card that could have been used on something else.

(4) Jags are spamable

They're a bit cheaper than Eagles, and, the Infantry card works on Jag Prowlers whereas it doesn't work on Eagles - for faster production.

(5) Jag/Arrow Knight Combo

Like the Arrow Knight/Eagle combo an Arrow Knight/Jag combo works well. The Arrow Knights can provoke and provide long range cover fire, and the Jags can stealth onto anything that comes near with a beefy attack.