Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

yiewjo
Conscript
Conscript

question with expert ai

Post by yiewjo »

HI guys,

Im new to the forum,and i actually have a burning question to ask you guys.
i have been playing aoe 3 asian for quite a while now and after about 20 games with me and my gf playing against expert ai's x2 we have had no luck except once which we think is pure luck. she plays as chinese at lev 28 and im playing the germans at level 23.

we tried grouping together and stuck to defence. here we I focus on building the wall and upgrading it to next level and also making cannons, 1x fort and upgraded towere. my gf mass produced armies to wipe their armys out as a counter attack but it seems they just keeps comong and evenutally were down.

we also tried just building in our on default locations on our own and just played the game but the results were still the same.

please advise how we can enjoy the game and not get own by the ai were on the verge to just stick the cd's in the microwave and burn it

cheers and thx for looking at my post
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: question with expert ai

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Have you ever played online at multiplayer? This brings a whole new understanding to the game: build orders, vill production/management, economy mangement, military management, correct unit counters, etc etc.
It is really hard to say how you can improve without knowing what you are doing in game....

A few brief hints: you should be hitting age 2 at around 4:30. You should have enough resources to make miltary buildings and then units immeadiately, you should be able to produce villagers constantly to improve your economy as time goes on.

Try viewing some of our recorded games from more expert players: VOD's this will help you see differences in comparison to how you play.
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I find that an expert comp is easier to beat when you hit early. The AI usually towers up, so that can be problematic. But, hitting one of them as early as possible, keep harrassing villies so they can't collect resources will help a lot. You have to keep building villies too, nonstop. Take one of the AI's out, then focus on the other. gl and hf.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

The two basic strats to beat xpert comps are 1) a solid rush, or 2) an FF and defend, followed up by an attack at age IV or so.

The comps are vulnerable to cavalry, so use those late game. Ranged infantry should be used in the earlier battles.

Comps will hit you around 10:30-12:00, which is plenty of time to FF and build 30 or so guys, which you should have before 12 minutes or you will have a very tough time with them.

If you do a fast rush, it will be over quickly. However, the comp recovery is amazing, so only rush if you are confident that you can carry it off. Around the MSGT level in multiplayer you should have no problem with the defend-attack method. Around 2nd Lieut level you should have no problem with the rush method.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

attack before 6:30 with 10/15 musk, but dont do a full attack just kill vills/ towers that are being made. Or wait and old out untill your maxed out eco and stuff.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

The AI is pretty limited in the sense that it often has military running around not attacking. You want to kill these units before they actually decide to attack.

Strokey's post should be helpful too. Getting online to play will help your gameplay 10fold if you are interested.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]Around the MSGT level in multiplayer you should have no problem with the defend-attack method. Around 2nd Lieut level you should have no problem with the rush method.[/quote]

i think expert comp equals pr 8-10 or something, plus a nice resource cheat, they get like 50% more or something ;)

with your chinese and german homecities, go old han army for the chinese and pure uhlans with the german.

you can also edit your hoemcities to have all maxed out at level 131 so you can play any civ with all teh cards and such
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

run around with your explorer and shoot at the vils when they start building something :D They will never get a military rax up in time
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

how can i edit my singleplayer HC lvl:s?
ChrisTheMean
Private
Private

Post by ChrisTheMean »

[quote=""HeJurmhoanni""]how can i edit my singleplayer HC lvl:s?[/quote]
go in to documents/mygames/ageofempires3/savegame and rightclick edit on the hc you want and change the number in the fields level and skillpoints to 130.
[quote=""Soccerman771""]It's obvious. As your name states you were mean to him so he went and cried in the corner. When he got the muster to come back to the game and face you, well you made him cry again.[/quote]
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

yes chris that's a way but the best way is to go onto eso, select a homecity then go offline and rename the LastHomeCityY.xml to sp_Tenochtitlán_homecity.xml or something, that way you got all your decks from eso too :)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I don't mean to bump an older thread, but I do have a question in regards to ai, especially the expert setting.

I practice a lot versus the ai, lately I have played French (trying to give my Iro's a bit of a break), so I got in 7-10 games this weekend with the comp set as (Expert) with a 15% handicap. I have messing with going Musk/Huss & XBow/Pike with varying degrees of success on the RE patch. I have the FP 1.1a installed but can rarely find a game.

Anyway, is the expert ai worth practicing with? So far, I am winning 50% of the games and am not sure how I will do with it on ESO.... I would go play unrated games on ESO but I end up having to pause the game a lot due to family needs, to make this viable.

Anyone have an opinion on practicing against the ai? Should I? Will I develop bad habits? Anyone on ESO around 9:00pm - 11:00pm EST, that wants to bash a noob? lol
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

Practicing against the AI isn't in general too good. They tend to make unit combos that your average player wouldn't make and never seem to have a plan.

If you are looking for someone to play with online during those hours, I am nearly always online at those times. You can add me on ESO: Zuta. Maybe we can get a few games and I can give you something other than the computer to play. If you need to pause, it should be np for me. I can usually just check forums/do HW or something.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

playing vs AI is good to get your BO memorized.

I find myself playing vs 2 AI's often cuz nobody is online in my timezone. The game is about fun, so if u get that from AI, it's fine
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

@ Zuta -- Thx, I might take you up on that. My PR is only 13, and I haven't played in months, so that would be a big help. I'll also try posting some recs, that usually does wonders for me, I often struggle learning new civs, and the advice here is always great!

@ Chaos -- I agree fun is fun, and at this point (being absent for so long) any play is going to help. lol
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin