aztec all out rush strategy guide

Post by generalbuschmann »

1.preamble
2.build order
3.matchups
4.recorded games

thx to aaryn_gend for help :D

1. preamble:

the aztec all out rush is an all or nothing strat most of the time, it's basically about spamming unit shipments and outmassing the opponent early on. it's a good rush on the robot patch and can
still work on the fanpatch even if it's alot weaker, but most people won't predict that you'll use it, which means it has the element of surprise here.

2.build order

age1:
send 2 vills on hunts and gather the crates with the other 3, i like to send 1 villager directly to a wood crate to get the firepit up asap (possible in under one minute), the xp is really important for the shipment spam. After you've gathered all crates send all vills to gather food on hunts. 1st card is 3 villagers. age up with 12vills +3 vills of the hc, which makes a total of 16 pop (15 vills 1 warriorpriest). use the 2 skull knight politician.
Even though herding a bit in age1 is always good, i don't suggest doing this until you klicked the age-up button, because aztecs age up time will be kinda late then, try being in colonial 4:30ish, instead of 4:40 or even worse 4:50ish

The warchief can make the rush even stronger. There is a small trick to get much more xp, which is really important for a shipment spam since a few seconds can decide if you win or lose.
The trick is to double the xp the killed units yields when your warchief is around but is not dealing out the last hit, a converted guardian will do the last hit.

A polar bear for example will grant 50 xp instead of 25 which is in fact a big difference. A coyote usually gives 20 xp if killed by a converted guardian
Useful treasures: wood treasures (always useful for houses, units, warhut), coin treasures for some extra puma spearmen.

During the transition to colonial send most of your vills to wood, depending on the starting wood crates and treasures you've gathered, but most of the time it'll be over 10 vills on wood during transition.
Send 3 vills towards your opponent, and finish building the warhut BEFORE you hit
age 2, because the 2 skull knights have to arrive at the warhut. So you can start harrassing with them immediately, in some matchups for example vs brits or spain you can take down the age-up tower with them, in some cases if your opponent hasn't scouted you well, taking down their rax/stable shouldn't be too hard either.

Upon hitting age 2, send approximatly 8 vills on wood and 7 on food (always depending on treasures, starting crates and what units you wanna train first (coyote need way more on food than wood), dont build vills yet, only build houses and send shipments(depending on civ,) and build some units in the warhut. You should have built two houses after starting to built your warhut, which makes for 40pop when hitting/slightly after colonial.

important cards for your deck:Image

sometimes the age 1 4 jaguar card can be useful if a lot of good treasures are available(like on yukon), they will also make the rush a bit nastier

If the rush failed: the game isn't lost, your opponent shouldn't have an eco much superior to yours, if you see that your rush won't cut it, pull back and mass, start making vills again, aztecs have strong cards to aid their eco, 5 vills+4 vills, 3 warrior priests. With 4 warriorpriests start the dance on the firepit to get more of them. On fanpatch the limit is 6 in age 2 and on robot patch it's the maximum of 10 for all ages. They boost train times with fertility dance and make your units stronger in battles.
Can also be abused for water dancing, healing units in age3 or the SK dance in age4

Be careful if you see colonialmilitia in your opponents deck, most aztec unit gets killed with one shot, in this case take mapcontrol and kill everything which isn't in range of the tc and try to harass him constantly :P to be sure if he did sent the card yet or not, simply look if his TC has more than 100 anti ship attack, if he does, the card has been arrived.

3.matchups: (for 1.02 robot patch)

mirrors: don't rush, age up with more vills and make vills early age 2 also
japanese: on lower levels an easy matchup for aztecs, only very decent players can defeat it
india: agra fort can be devastating don't rush if you see a fort and rush if there is none :D
chinese: dont let him mass unit, destroy villages if possible, hurts the chinese player early on.
Later, if you get a good coyote mass and coyote combat and wp on attack dance, there is nothing the chinese player can do against them(on RE patch)
iroquois: don't rush, one of the most difficult matchups, they get their units faster and their mass is better
sioux: rush works, be careful of bowriders
german: ulans can be annoying, they also got some strong age2 shipments, still possible to win with the all out rush
french: coreurs can be a real pain, always be careful against french, rush can still work though
portuguese: cm can be a pain, but otherwise its a more simple matchup
spanish: wardogs! kill the explorer, still an easy matchup
ottoman: idk, imo rush works, don't let him mass too many abus, try to keep the amount low with your coyotes, maces just murder jannissaries
british/dutch: they can hide behind banks/manors with some wall pieces they can defend very well, otherwise an easy matchup
russian: they got their blockhouses + great shipments as in 13 strelets, 4+5 cossacks and can mass army very quickly, so all out rushing isn't the best thing to do here also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: aztec all out rush strategy guide

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Nice comprehensive guide, Buschmann! I always like practicing against Aztec rushes. I've written a lot about them over the last year or so. When I get active again on ESO, I'd love to practice Germans and British against that nasty rush ;)
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

good write up buschmann

on a side note about the chief xp aura , the firepit has a rather cheap tech that doubles the bounty aura from the chief , some maps that have say beaver den gold treasures it is rather easy to obtain and often overlooked by players. for a faster shipment spam get this tech ASAP. it isnt neccesary but it will help
- Dan
frenchfantom
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by frenchfantom »

nice strat, i jsut have 1 question. How would I as an otto player defeat Aztecs? i've always had trouble with them.
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

^ jan abus
Charge you cowards! no one lives forever! - unknown platoon sargeant, 1917
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Macabee should share his opinion on aztec rushes... He took me and my agra fort down more than once...
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
adeadmanrunning
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by adeadmanrunning »

[quote=""Destructor2""]nice strat, i jsut have 1 question. How would I as an otto player defeat Aztecs? i've always had trouble with them.[/quote]

Aztecs was my favorite civ and my best before that it was ottos. My opinion is dont play that match-up. only thing you can do in my opinion is ship 5 jan and make a stable. calv kill all of the aztecs units but if they ship puma or age with sk you want jans to take them out.
"You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

[quote=""Destructor2""]nice strat, i jsut have 1 question. How would I as an otto player defeat Aztecs? i've always had trouble with them.[/quote]

I LOVE that matchup on old RE.

Jans, 5 abus and minutemen. Abus 2-hit kill maces and have higher range so save at least 4 so that you can insta kill 2 maces every 3 secs. This is really important to get through those 10+9 mace shipments. THEN, switch to jans, grens. Yes, grenadiers. Grens aoe is nasty vs high range resist and compact maces. And they resist rather well vs coyotes while the jans kill them. Ship 3 hus, keep massing jans/grens. Win.

card build order:

700c, 700f, 600c/3 hus (no 3 vills)

nice write up buschmann
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

This rush has actually been around for a while. Harley14 showed me this back when Aztecs only got one skull aging up to Colonial.

Mac
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""][quote=""Destructor2""]nice strat, i jsut have 1 question. How would I as an otto player defeat Aztecs? i've always had trouble with them.[/quote]

I LOVE that matchup on old RE.

Jans, 5 abus and minutemen. Abus 2-hit kill maces and have higher range so save at least 4 so that you can insta kill 2 maces every 3 secs. This is really important to get through those 10+9 mace shipments. THEN, switch to jans, grens. Yes, grenadiers. Grens aoe is nasty vs high range resist and compact maces. And they resist rather well vs coyotes while the jans kill them. Ship 3 hus, keep massing jans/grens. Win.

card build order:

700c, 700f, 600c/3 hus (no 3 vills)

nice write up buschmann[/quote]
Just a question. How can you afford 2 houses a rax and an artillery foundary without sending 700 wood?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

You start with 400w in the worst of the cases in RE, which gives you a tp and a house and 50w. When you age you get another 400w that gives you a rax and 2 houses, when aging you just gotta gather the 250w that are missing for an artillery foundry. If you start with 500w you only need to gather 150w. Not much of a need for 700w.
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

you start with 300 wood in the worst of the cases, also a tp only costs 200 on robot, 500 wood start isnt possible on a normal map afaik its at least 300 and 400 max
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

2 houses = 200 wood
1 barax = 200 wood
1 arty foundry = 250 (on RE - worst case scenario)
1 TP = = 250 (on RE - worst case scenario)

=» 900 wood required

Most cases u start with 300 wood and can use age up poly for another 400 wood. That means U need 2 chop down 200 wood while aging up! 3-4 vills throughout the age up will accomplish this np. The arty foundry will b the last building 2 be built, so in all fairness u have plenty of time 2 get all this construction going. Also dont 4get wood treasures are relativly common and not all that hard 2 get.

out
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

you wil need 3 houses, abus are 2 pop in RE.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""luukje""]you wil need 3 houses, abus are 2 pop in RE.[/quote]

so are they on FP. and the foundry costs 300w there

destructor2s question is good, aztec has not much of a problem against ottos.
how about shipping 3 huss card early destructor? 3 huss first then 5 jans, after that crates all the way and distribute the res well
in this case i'd love abus+huss but you'll get outmassed badly with that combo

drew you had a VOD once with that mactchup :-P