2 SW + 2 Uhlans is Better than 3 SW in Fan Patch

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

2 SW + 2 Uhlans is Better than 3 SW in Fan Patch

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Hi everyone! Just because you haven't seen me on as much lately doesn't mean I've stopped playing AOE. Every night I manage to get on and drill a few build orders. Amazingly, when you get away from regular play for a while, you start seeing things differently and you get excited about the game again.

I was walking down 3rd Avenue today in New York and I got to thinking about something I REALLY LIKE.... you guessed it... SETTLER WAGONS!!! Yes, I really do like them. Love might be stretching it, since my heart belongs to uhlans, but settler wagons come close. I started thinking about how betrayed I felt when the FP team took away my 2 free uhlans from the 3 SW shipment. It used to be instrumental to so many strats I did, especially the 7-uhlan TP semi-FF, as well as the evil 2 factory czapka semi-FI. I resigned myself to living with a mere 5 uhlans for harassment rather than the traditional 7... which used to even beat those pesky 5 French or Dutch hussars around 6:25.

But it need not be so! The 2 SW card still gives you 2 uhlans. That's the same as 700 resources (400 for 2 SW/300 for 2 uhlan), plus it boosts your econ and gives you a powerful, flexible military infusion. Matched with 10 xbows from a dual rax or 5 uhlan from an early stable, it can really tip things in your favor. In contrast, 3 SW is equal only to 600 resources and you get no extra military support. Although the extra SW pays for itself as the game goes on, we all know that early pressure is very important. For that reason, I have come over to the idea that the 2 SW/2 uhlan card is better than the 3 SW card in many situations, especially in 1v1. And it is a real killer in some special situations, namely against Russia when you can use them along with 5 built uhlans and 5 shipped to wipe out everything they have.

Suffice it to say, I miss you all and look forward to more play time in the next couple weeks.

Kaiser
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: 2 SW + 2 Uhlans is Better than 3 SW in Fan Patch

Post by huGGy »

Depends on what you are planning to do. If you want to pressure early i recommend 8bows or 700wood (which gives you 1000 ressources). In team games 3SW > 2SW because you boost your Eco in the long run.

Interesting thoughts, though.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i miss you too kaiser!
i use the 2SW card also sometimes/often in favour of the 3, it's not just me or you, many people do that, we don't wanna miss those 2 little cute ulans coming with them eh? :-)
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

agreed. 2 SWs is better; whats the point of playing Germans if you don't get free raiding parties :(
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.