CM and when to use it?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

CM and when to use it?

Post by ckei »

This is something I have been wondering for a long time. There is no doubt about it that it isnt a good card- Tc´s one hitting units and an army of mm´s can be really scary. But when should I ship it? I know you sould ship it as a second or third card,but I always feel that I cant do it as I will neglect far important cards such as settler cards,military cards or recource crates.

Could someone explain this to me?
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: CM and when to use it?

Post by deadhanddan »

use it when you absolutely have too , if you do not need it then dont send it , but if your under heavy pressure then by all means use it.
- Dan
Am3ricanCa3sar
Private
Private

Post by Am3ricanCa3sar »

well i would disagree with you dan, at least when it comes to using it with ports, maybe some other civ your approach works. i really think though the only civ that makes this card really worth playing is ports. some cards were made specifically for different civs and considered essential to each civ. CM card was made for ports. it plays to there strength. it's because ports have to fund extra TC's to make vills, and can not keep up with other civs military count early.

the main reason i disagree dan, is if you wait to "use it when you absolutely have too", you won't be able to use it effeciently most times. CM is a very hard card to use right, imo most don't. to use it right you better have money in the bank and troops on the ground to contribute to mm if you have to use them. plus the later you pull CM the worse it really is because your substituting it for what could be a large resource shipment later in game. in essence it becomes a worse card the later you pull it. the more shots you can get off with it through out the game the better. every shot you get off with a loaded TC is like getting a 135 resources from your oppenant. use it early and use it aggressively.
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

CM can usually be a back-up card if you've lost your army (or armies in team games) and know that you will be attacked. In most cases, it is the best to call out colonial militia when your Town center is at 60% HP or 50% HP, depending on how fast the opponents units are capable of burning it down. That way, they are tempted to try and burn a TC down, while you kill their whole army. However, as said before, it is best used with Portugal, and probably best to send as either 1st, 3rd, 5th, or 7th card. By those times, it seems, that attacks are likely to occur. Also remember to have support with the minutemen, and not just call them out by themselves. A discussion about CM timing is relative to your situation. Just make sure you follow this principle:

"All Warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

regards,

murdilator
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

[quote=""murdilator""]CM can usually be a back-up card if you've lost your army (or armies in team games)[/quote]
disagree, if u lost all your army cm wont stop your opponent (especially in teamgames u won´t stop them), cm is only a good card for turtle port players on water / or ff. it won´t save you if you lost army its more a support if you are fighting at your tc when your opponent rushed (aztec rush for example one shot=one kill), during he kills your units (which are less then his) you can kill the good siege units (pumaspearman for example or tomahawks) with tc fire.
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

I don't know about CM (but who am I?)..
In the best case, CM will cause your TC to kill a unit in one shot instead of two. However, 135 damage is not enough to one-shot-kill a non-Russian Musketeer; units with ranged resistance and a hitpoint upgrade also tend to survive a 135 damage shot. If your opponent puts units in defence mode, even a pikeman will survive a shot.

But even if it does kill a unit in one shot, remains that it will kill a new unit only now and then. Because of those reasons I'm not a fan of CM at all and would never send it.
Shipping a age1 shipment when you are in age2 is usually a bad idea in the first place because age2 shipments are (almost?) always better than age1 shipments.

Finally, the ability to send the bunch of extra minutemen isn't all that good either. It's very expensive and your opponent will just walk away and wait until they have 1 HP so it will be easy to pick them off with their explorer or ranged units.
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

well 1 minute can be enough for a portuguese to reach fortress and get much better units
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""generalbuschmann""]well 1 minute can be enough for a portuguese to reach fortress and get much better units[/quote] thats why i said CM is only needed if in a dire straits. i can't really see using that card unless one doesn't have an alternative
- Dan
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

I'd actually say that some people give up hope too easily - once their army is defeated, they just quit. Sometimes you can bring the game around. It is possible to do in team games, when people are smart and build walls before they attack with a slight upper hand (or before they engage in combat at all).
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]thats why i said CM is only needed if in a dire straits. i can't really see using that card unless one doesn't have an alternative[/quote]

OP band 8)
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

hehe, being in "dire straits" means to be ina emergency situation(i looked it up)

i'm with dan, busch and lost in this mattter
Am3ricanCa3sar
Private
Private

Post by Am3ricanCa3sar »

well i will just say that in my experience with this card it is not nearly as simple as stated here. it is a card that one must build around to use right. waiting to use it till your in "dire straights" is a useless way to use it. in that case you might as well not use it at all. it is a much more complicated card than that. like i said most don't use it right.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I use it all the time on RE patch. It was nerfed to hard for me to use on the FP. Having 15 villagers garissoned is just too many IMO.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

With Ports its your first card in most matchups. I have it in my french deck for games vs Iros or Aztecs. Not only because of 12 extra MM, but for one shot an aztec unit. You have to combine the MM with other troops. Let's say to start with Cav, use the CM to knock out pikes. Cav and TC fire will do the rest. Timing is important here. If you call it too early, they are wasted. If you call it too late they can't change much anymore. With Ports it's an OP (not OP but necessary card), because you can abuse 2 TCs early on. So make sure that the TCs can defend each other.

Also a market can come in handy when you need or plan to abuse MM. Sometimes you don't have the ressources (i.e. not enough gold). market allows you to change ressources.

When to send the card? Depends. With Ports in most matchups as first card (like i said above). With other Civs it depends on the situation. If you play Brits vs a rush Civ you can send it instead of a military shipment. As french you can send it when you already sent your other military cards and so on. Sometimes it helps when you develope a feeling for the game. Do you expect a hard push soon? Do you feel like your opponent might have alot of HI? (In most cases scouting is better than feeling, though :P)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

well said Huggy, the 2nd batch is 14 MM i think.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle