Portuguese Cav/Musk Start

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Incognoto
Private
Private

Portuguese Cav/Musk Start

Post by Incognoto »

Hey what's up, this is a Portuguese strat that I got from Challe (aka Emil) on FanPatch1.1a ( http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?porta ... pic=127295). The goal of this strat is to start with Hussars and then add Musks, all while getting more villagers from 2 TC's. This strats works pretty damn well and it's effective in pretty much every scenario, except for perhaps a very strong HI rush, but 2 TC's and the 8 bow shipment will help with that. It's one of Port's best colonial agenda imo.

All right, let's get down to it:

Deck:

[PNG, (296.99 KB)]

The 600 and 700 coin are essential. You'll want the Infantry upgrades (which are now available in Age2), 8 bows and 6 musks I use quite a lot, the rest are useful cards that are always good to have in your deck. ^^

The Build:

Discovery & Transition:

Your first card: Econ theory. Yea you can save your shipment, but I generally do not, as your hunting is improved by 10% and 10% (10% because on teh FP you get free Hunting Dogs, and 10% with econ theory). It's just a good solid shipment that's fine to use.

-Age with 13 vills, and the 400w politician. Herd, treasures, etc.

-During the transition you're going to put more than half of your villagers on wood. You're going to put up a market and get the wood cutting upgrade asap. Then continue to chop wood until you get 200. Then put all vills on food except for 2 or 3 which you keep on wood. Also, make sure you have gathered at least 80 coin (from treasures or just mine it) before you age.

-Scout, etc.

Colonial:

-You have 200 wood which you're going to put into a stable asap. Asap. You take 3 or 4 vills and you build it fast. Then you queue up a hussar asap. ASAP you're also going to send 700 coin. Yea, this step means you're going to have to be fast. Gather your 400w and build three houses, save 100w for now. Put your second TC near your hunts which you should have herded. If there's a mine near your hunts it's all the better. However, try to keep both TC's close enough together so as they are both in each other's LOS, and both within range of their TC fire.

-If you have done everything quickly and efficiently, your 700 coin should arrive before the 5 hussars come out. Gather that coin real quick and spam the hussar button until 5 are queued. This isn't easy, you'll want to practice. With these 5 hussars go raid and harass. Be careful for HI and the sorts.

-With that 100w you saved you should have 125+ wood (since you have vills on wood), as well as some left over coin from the 700c shipment. You have a market up, get the second hunting upgrade. In the mean time, keep most of your vills on food and a handful on wood. Make sure you don't get housed. If you play well you can keep constant villager and hussar production from TC's and the stable.

-Keep making hussars, keep raiding, keep an eye on your opponents HI. Send 600 coin and use that coin to cover the coin cost of your hussars. Once your out of coin from the 700/600 shipment, put your TC way points on nearby coin mines.

-After that you'll want to switch some food vills to wood, and chop enough wood to get a barracks. Your economy is set up on food/coin, so you're going to start making musks as well. Musk/Hussar is an excellent colonial combo. 6 musks or 8 bows are both good shipments as of now. After those send what you feel you need.

That is the general build, but always be ready to adapt. Be very careful with musk civs (India/Otto/Brits, etc) and try to play your best.

Continue harassing with Hussars, add musks to the mix, when you get a decent number you can try to push. Use your army well, and try to get the advantage with that. If you have harassed well your army may be better than his. ;)

Here is my rough guide, I will ofc edit it in the future so that it looks better and mention things that I might have forgotten, or answer good questions, etc.

Here are 2 recs of me using this strat. They are a bit one sided, however they showcase this strat really well:

http://s15.zetaboards.com/A414A_clan/to ... 089/1/#new

If I can get a more competitive rec I will and link it in this thread. Thanks for reading.

Bla bla bla. Posted on HG but the comments are meh, what do you guys think?
hi
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Portuguese Cav/Musk Start

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I think it looks good on paper, and actually looks very feasible. There's only one point I would disagree on, which is the 6 musketeer/8 crossbow shipments. If it were me playing, I would take these out of my deck. Portuguese unit cards, in my opinion, only shine in age 3. I think you'd be better off adding colonial militia or an age 3 economy card.

But that idea is based purely on my playstyle. With non-aggressive civs IE. Portuguese, British, I tend to remove age 2 military cards.

Nice writeup though, thanks for sharing, and welcome to N3O forums. :)
Incognoto
Private
Private

Post by Incognoto »

Ty, and I think I posted this in the wrong section. ^_^

As for the 8 bows/6 musks, I find them to be pretty useful shipments, because generally when I do this strat I find myself making a barracks pretty late (prolly something to work on), I have a lot of hussars and pretty much nothing else. A strong hussar force is great for pushing but if you don't have anti-anti-cav (lol) it can be not so great. Which is why I usually ship 6 musks and 8 bows after 600 coin, they permit me to get a slight edge on anticav that I need to win most fights, they are both very good vs pikes and bows are decent vs musks.

Something to consider is that it lets me complete the counter circle much better without having to build a rax, it's a good stop gap and I can concentrate on making hussars and villagers.
hi
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Maybe shipping them helps, but to me, shipping resources seems a lot more cost-effective. Ship 700 wood and you got yourself a barracks, a few houses, a market, and leftover wood for market upgrades, hell maybe even a trading post, seeing as they're now 200 wood.

If you need musketeers, ship 700 food, this is ample to pay for a few batches of musketeers, and help with the settler production out of your 2 TCs.

But like I said, that's based purely on my play style. My Portuguese supremacy deck in age 2 is something like;

700 food
600 food
700 wood
600 wood
700 coin
600 coin
Fencing school
Riding school
(Insert card here)
(Insert card here)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Moved it for you :)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i agree with incognoto here, 8xbow and/or 6 musk is pivitol for the ports imo, of course the crates play a big role here too, since they got no vill shipment, heck the crate shipments are used by every civ anyway

this has a tough time against other hussar starts with some pikes added, but nevertheless good bo, which i do from time to time, i'm too much of an xbow+pike fanboy^^
Incognoto
Private
Private

Post by Incognoto »

Ya run away from Hussar/Pike :p, straight to your TC, you'll be safe there. ^^
hi
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

good strat, xbow and musk shipments are better than 600 resources imho
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i agree chaos , factoring in cost+train times of xbows+musks and it becomes clear they are important in rush games. seiging a port tc with sum pikes or muskets n out pops 8 xbow and 5 mm :-P
- Dan
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

It's a great strat. There is a rec of Challe using this vs Sam on agesanctuary that I watched a while back. It win to age iii where organ gun spam won.