Trouble vs Rusians

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Trouble vs Rusians

Post by ruminator »

I'm sure we've covered this before, but I'm just strting to look properly at China again. How do they cope with age 2? They age up at the same (ish) time but then Russia can either mass strelets or cossacks and China seems to struggle versus either and especially versus both.

Any particluar strats? I imagine it is much the same vs Aztecs ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trouble vs Rusians

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

hehe ruminator , you discovered something what is known for quite some time

the match up china - russia

the conclusion is russia OWNS china, they have the same mass, can decide much better on what unit they want, china will always have chu ko nu/pike or chu ko nu/steppes, which pure strelets owns first, and strelets plus some cossacks owns teh rest, midgame is good too as they are a euro civ, and well, both civs don't got vill shipments, but therefor russia got the small bonus which develops gradually during game china can get a decent amount of settlers through teheir refugee cards if you get 2 starting villages, etc.

i think your best bet is to stay defensive, use your military shipments well to defend(they can cover an overload of a unit at the beginning of the game, which really helps, but later you only got your defined unit ratio) and then semi ff, chinas early fort is strooong =)

in the current fp, this matchup looks twisted, russia received all the boosts that euro civs got(arsenal, platantion cost, etc,) on the other hand people find china so much stronger´in this fp, which i can't see, i also see russia as a bit weak right now
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

In 1v1 the only real way to beat Russia is to simply be faster and pick the right 2nd card. Age with fewer vils, have a forward village so your 2nd shipment pops out there and then chase them to oblivion. Steppes or pikes is usually the way to go, and you MUST involve your monk and discs. If you don't have him smothered by 10 mins, it's usually gg...

But that's just my experience.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Yeah as Soccer said, your monk as China is your biggest friend. Put him into cover mode and he can soak up a lot of ranged damage.

What you ship second depends on what he's doing. If you see him gathering gold and next to no wood, chances are he's going muskets or cossacks. If you see what he's building, ship the appropriate counter to beat it. China's age 2 shipments are great.

If you manage to age before him, I'd personally recommend shipping 9 pikes first, to stop his forward base getting up if you've spotted it.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

with china its always worthwhile to have 10 rattan shields in your deck , especially vs. russia. been ages since i played china but whenever i did i stood best chance at winning in age 3 then staying in a prolonged colonial battle. russia's 3 vill batch training will hurt you if in age 2 for a long time. best shot is to get to age 3 relatively fast and spam china's incredible age 3 shipments ( flails - hammers -10 steppe - manchu ) alot of players op for the british consulate asap but tbh i would go with russian consulate. consulate cossack are china's best bet for decent cav in age 2 and the fortress shipment it provides can be a life saver. just have to play better then your opponet and never commit to battles unless your sure you can win them. the 9 pike card is the key for china , have to be frugal in the way you use it
- Dan
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

agree with Dan; consulate cossacks, ratans etc are very useful
also
some natives can help sometimes or boosted disciples
dont forget flame throwers if they mass strelets
a disciple FF should prob be good, def on a treasure heavy map
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

wow i totally forgot about the disciples :-)
anyway, discs are so weak right now it isn't funny, even wardogs are better than them
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

wardogs are better then everything! ive even used them to assassinate entire strelet+mace shipments ( ask etrips about that :twisted: ) but yea discs are a joke of a unit , no where near worth the 80 food to make even one of them let alone 5. if you plan on ff with china use the porcelian tower in team games , for 1v1 i recommend the Confucian academy for the 10 free skirms received immediately upon age up
- Dan
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]with china its always worthwhile to have 10 rattan shields in your deck , especially vs. russia. been ages since i played china but whenever i did i stood best chance at winning in age 3 then staying in a prolonged colonial battle. russia's 3 vill batch training will hurt you if in age 2 for a long time. best shot is to get to age 3 relatively fast and spam china's incredible age 3 shipments ( flails - hammers -10 steppe - manchu ) alot of players op for the british consulate asap but tbh i would go with russian consulate. consulate cossack are china's best bet for decent cav in age 2 and the fortress shipment it provides can be a life saver. just have to play better then your opponet and never commit to battles unless your sure you can win them. the 9 pike card is the key for china , have to be frugal in the way you use it[/quote]

Rattan shields, consulate cossacks and steppe riders - that sounds worth a try ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""ruminator""][quote=""deadhanddan""]with china its always worthwhile to have 10 rattan shields in your deck , especially vs. russia. been ages since i played china but whenever i did i stood best chance at winning in age 3 then staying in a prolonged colonial battle. russia's 3 vill batch training will hurt you if in age 2 for a long time. best shot is to get to age 3 relatively fast and spam china's incredible age 3 shipments ( flails - hammers -10 steppe - manchu ) alot of players op for the british consulate asap but tbh i would go with russian consulate. consulate cossack are china's best bet for decent cav in age 2 and the fortress shipment it provides can be a life saver. just have to play better then your opponet and never commit to battles unless your sure you can win them. the 9 pike card is the key for china , have to be frugal in the way you use it[/quote]

Rattan shields, consulate cossacks and steppe riders - that sounds worth a try ...[/quote]

Definitely. I don't play China, but playing against Russia demands a universal response in most situations: Start with cav! Since China can't spam cav early, go for replacements, like the rattans and cossacks.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)