My brits versus ottos

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

MizzKid92
Conscript
Conscript

My brits versus ottos

Post by MizzKid92 »

Let me start by saying that I almost never play 1v1s. To be quite honest, they scare the crap out of me. I get way to nervous and end up messing up. However, I feel as if I need to get over this and start playing some 1v1s. I sucked it up and entered a QS hoping for the best (my first QS ever). I ended up getting an otto player... phew!

I was having trouble operating because I was shaking a bit and was really nervous, but I still think I played alright. Comments and constructive criticism appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: My brits versus ottos

Post by KingKaramazov »

I sympathize with your problems playing in 1v1. I used to be the same way in most RTS games that I played.

Then I decided with AoE3 that I would just play 1v1s pretty much exclusively, and now I much prefer 1v1 to team games.

If you want you can practice with me some and I'll try to give you some advice on how to remain composed. Composure is one of the most important things to have as a 1v1 player, and is often overlooked as such.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Same here. I'd also be glad to help.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

You played pretty well here, you kept a nice tight base. Earlier on I would have placed my first houses a little more stratigcaly, perhaps around the front of my TC near where my barracks would be, just to offer a little more hinderance if he gets in close to my base. I like the two outpost card against otto, and you placed them well too, covering his initial line of attack and defending your vills to your left.

The 10 pike you sent to his TC was a little wasted TBH. I would have looked for his TP's and perhaps tried to take them instead, being otto it's almost a given that he has at least 1 TP and it is important that you can take this down before he gets stronger.

You saw his artillary foundary quite early, and I perhaps would have looked at getting a stable up for a few hussar to deal with his abus. If he masses abus and Jans, then your l-bows will start to struggle after a while.

Not much you did wrong here at all really, I would suggest scouting more throughout the game though, you turtled well, but didn't know much about what was outside of your base.

All in all, GG.... you played it well!! ;)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I'll watch 2night!
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
jakinator

Post by jakinator »

Another approach is to host unrated 1v1's. It's something of an intermediate step where you make your mistakes without your PR being on the line, which reduces your nervousness. In a little while, your confidence will build.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Yeah the intensity of one on ones always seems a bit higher than team games. I think you did great would have expected to see hussars to target the abus but your longbows did quite a good job. I definately get a game with yah when I see you out in AOE3. If it's India it'll just be practice though :D
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

good job mizz

you play the brits quiet differently than me, putting 2 on wood from start and massing lb's after making those few pikes from start. luckely he didnt make any hussars... could have been ugly. I also saw he had no silk road :s
How good is exotic hardwoods as second shipment vs otto?
why not use the berry bushes instead of dropping mills?

gg!
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

[quote=""jakinator""]Another approach is to host unrated 1v1's. It's something of an intermediate step where you make your mistakes without your PR being on the line, which reduces your nervousness. In a little while, your confidence will build.[/quote]

That's good advice. I used to shake in rated games vs guys I didn't know in AOC. The adrenaline just flowed like mad. Playing non-rated games, especially vs clan-mates really helps you control it.

I didn't watch yet but I'll try to watch it tonight.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n