I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

P10 - the flexible Portuguese strat

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Howdy,

it's time to share a new strat :D

P10

the idea of this strat is based on an extremely fast age up, giving you the time needed to place your 2nd TC where you want, claiming map controle before the other player reaches age II.

Originally, it was a pure rush strat, but soon enough I realised it has a lot more potential, and it's very flexible.

Basic BO
- sent 3 vils on hunt asap, while picking up the food crates with the others. Don't pick up any other crates, you don't need em and every second gained is critical.
- Queue 3 vils, so your pop cap will be 10/10. Continue gathering the 800 food you need and age up with 500 food politician.
- Your explorer should try and find food treasures and herdables (cow, sheep etc...), if you have good map-knowledge you can often guess where to find food treasures, use the spyglass for this as well. If you find herdables, eat em asap!
- Optional: first shipment: 300 wood. I use this card when I plan on rushing or harassing early on. If I do a FF, I save this shipment.

Transition to age II
(usually between 2:00 and 3:30)
- Unless you FF, foward 1 vil to a place where u want your rax and 2nd TC. If you can, shoot back some hunts near the enemy TC :twisted:
- Collect the remaining crates (and the 300 wood) and build 2 houses.
- Try and find XP treasures, it helps speeding that 2nd shipment. Spyglass the enemy base this time.
- Eco management:
for musk spam: - Put 1 vil on wood, 3 on gold, rest on food. Adapt according treasures you picked up - but this works fine usually.
for Xbows/pikes: 5 on wood, rest on food.
for hussar harassment: 6 on gold, rest on food.

Age II
- build your rax or stable asap and send your TC wagon to the frontline.
- pick up the 500 food and spam the unit you want.
- ship 8 xbows or 6 musks - but wait until the TC wagon has started building a bit, otherwise the shipment will arrive before it's build and you won't be able to have the drop-off point in the foward TC.
- make vils from 2 TC.
- be evil - snipe vils, kill men and women, create CHAOS!!! (that's why we play this game, right?)

Usually I ship 700 food, followed by the next military shipment. This is where you need to adapt.

If you want to FF, the BO is slightly different.
- Don't ship 300 wood, but ship 700 gold first.
- during transition, gather up to 300 gold, rest on food.
- Your early age up time will make it hard for your opponent to guess what you're up to. You will reach age III sub 7 min! with 6 cassadores or 7 musks.
- as 2nd shipment I like the 700 wood, for houses, TP or rax/stable. If you are not under pressure, 700 food is also good so your vil production will be smooth (from 3 TC)

Deck I use:

Good luck and HF!
Chaos
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: P10 - the flexible Portuguese strat

Post by deadhanddan »

intriguing strat CHAOS ;) just when i thought i had a counter strat figured up u go and create a new variation which forces me to create a variation as well :mad: lol nice write up, im curious tho as to why you don't have 2 organ guns in your deck, could be a nice addition if you age up with the 7 musket polotician 8)
- Dan
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

good point, I usually have the 2 organ guns in the deck, but I switched it for the Fort card to try it out. I have a different deck when I FF, which has the 2 organ guns.

Also, I'm not sure if I should still use the 4 mamelukes or another merc shipment, but feel free to adapt to your own style. Lazy whooped my ottos hard with some portuguese mercs the other day...
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

I only "whooped" u with ur Ottos cos u "whooped" my arse in our Port mirror and showed me that ur strat is so much more agressive than Cammels. Will try this 1 also. Actually I think Im gonnna stick with ports 4 a while now. Will this make me a lamer? Will it make me seem less se»«y?

out
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Have to do something really awful to make you any less sexy than you already are Lazy. ;)

So what is the verdict on ports in this patch? I've heard people praise the balance of the patch yet everyone seems to be playing ports. Are they the new lame civ? I'm talking about the whole jinetes I used them last night and can't decide if they are strong as they were before, I mean they still destroy cav easily but can they still take on skirms as well?
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Ports aren't the new lame civ, but a lot of people are returning to them as they're competetive now, this will wear off... The fanpatch 1.1 is still new.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""LaZy""]I only "whooped" u with ur Ottos cos u "whooped" my arse in our Port mirror and showed me that ur strat is so much more agressive than Cammels. Will try this 1 also. Actually I think Im gonnna stick with ports 4 a while now. Will this make me a lamer? Will it make me seem less se»«y?

out[/quote]

How can you lame when you are merely playing the civ to which you belong as a citizen 8)

I'm thinking about playing them a bit, too. On the other hand, how about some Dutch/Port lamage? Stacking those inf cards would be sweet.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I don't think Ports are lame, but this strat will get you some flaming, nobody like to be under pressure so early...

I played some games with DeadHandDan and he tried countering this (knowing exactly what I would do) yet to no success.

The strong part is that you hardly sacrifice any eco, because your 2nd TC is up so fast, you spam from both and catch up in no time. You keep the initiative, cotrole the map and hunts and can usually kill a few vils early on.
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

ports always seemed like they good be extremely strong for this exact reason. Fast age up, good eco, map control, good water, and can mix and match as you please. Havent had many games against ports yet but I see them being a threat..
DrWho42
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by DrWho42 »

In the FP the only new advantage that the Ports have in age 1 and 2 is the hunting upgrade. Has that really been enough to make them so competitive in colonial? Couldn't this strategy work almost as well in ESO 1.01? I know the age times would be a bit slower, but would it be that significant?

"Any hussar who isn't dead by thirty is goldbricking." General Lasalle
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

hunting upgrade is massive, u could do this 10 vil age up before too, but the idle time was not worth it. Now you age up faster and the impact keeps growing as you spam more vils.
Having musks/cassa upgrade cards now in age II combined with a better and cheaper AA makes the Portuguese musks really good for long colonial warfares.
ChrisTheMean
Private
Private

Post by ChrisTheMean »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]Also, I'm not sure if I should still use the 4 mamelukes or another merc shipment, [/quote]
My fav merc shipment for ports has got to be hackpells. People just don't seem to expect it. They are not as handy in combat as mams, but for a raid, you can get 5-15 villies in a matter of a few seconds. Oddly enough, I sometimes use the mantlet/scout poli to fortress, add the mantlets to my infantry group, send 1 scout stealthed as raid warning, and 1 scout stealthed to find a nice raid spot for the hackas. Nastyness then ensues, as most people are not expecting that aggressive of a raid from the port.
Nice strat by the way, Ports rule!
[quote=""Soccerman771""]It's obvious. As your name states you were mean to him so he went and cried in the corner. When he got the muster to come back to the game and face you, well you made him cry again.[/quote]
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

4 mamelukes are great when you're focusing on infantry, just make sure that after they get the two falcs they come back before they get killed.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

hackapell! good to see another player using that card :)
- Dan