Aggressive German Rush

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Aggressive German Rush

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've played AOE3, but I still eat, sleep and dream it. It hasn't been my wish to stay off ESO; I literally haven't had the time to play meaningfully. Nonetheless, I am about to get some free time, and knowing that, I have begun exercising my strategies again.

Here is a new one I devised. You guessed it: It's for the Germans. Now, we all know that Germans are quite versatile. They can boom superbly with market upgrades and massive settler shipments. They can apply excellent colonial pressure with xbows, pikes and uhlans. And of course they can do FF-style strats (my personal fav since 2007). We do not really view the Germans as a super-rush civ like the Aztecs, Iros or Russians, but I think there are ways to use the Germans in this manner. And because people do not expect a go-for-broke early German rush (ie, you can't really siege-rush with 14 xbows and a few uhlans), the surprise factor could be worth it.

Germany has some potent high-siege early siege options. They can send 4 Landsknechts (430 HP each, with 72 siege and 104 attack against cav) or 3 doppels (230 HP each, with 60 siege and 60 attack against cav with 2 area). Of course, they do not have blockhouses or war huts to stuff units right in your face from the get-go, but there is a way to get around this problem: BUILD AN OUTPOST IN DISCOVERY.

Rather than building an early market during the transition to colonial, gather 250 wood with all your SWs and 3-4 villagers. Send an SW to a hunting ground/mine and put up the outpost. Then get enough for a house. Once you put up the house, switch all your wood gatherers to coin and mass 400 coin ASAP if you want to do Landsknechts. Once you get the 400 coin, take a few vils off the mine and put them on food for vil production and uhlans. Age with 16 vils (Q-master, of course), so that should put you in colonial pre-4:30. Once you get to colonial, build either a barracks or stable at your outpost/FB, set your HC arrival point on the outpost and ship in the Landsknechts. If you get it right, they should arrive about 5:15. Meanwhile, use your remaining age-up wood for 2 houses (50 pop). Build uhlans from your stable, or doppels if you really want to punch them hard. Personally I like having uhlans to knock out any RI or MM they might have on hand. Charge into their base with your Landsknechts, siege any military buildings, then just try to pressure them to death. Send in 3 doppels or 8 xbows next, and keep building uhlans. Ultimately, this is an all-out rush strat. Don't use it against a musket heavy civ, since they can handle hand inf and cav. Still, don't underestimate Landsknechts--no other unit in colonial has so many HP. They are tanks. If the other guys goes cav, it will probably be GG. Landknechts can kill hussars with 3 hits, plus they resist 30% against hand damage.

People rarely expect an all-out German rush. I mention all this because it is a handy addition to my strat-book. I foresee that it would work well against Spain, Sioux and maybe the Dutch. But don't use it against Japan, Brits, India or the Ottos.

In team games, you can vary this strat a little bit. Rather than sending Landsknechts or doppels to your forward outpost, send 5 uhlans and build 5 more. Getting a raiding force together pre-5:00 really helps throw the other team off balance; you might even be able to kill their FB vils before they build any buildings....and we all know what that does to your game 8) Or you can send the 5 uhlans directly into their bases extremely early. Those 30 secs between 5 and 5:30 make all the difference in the world; if your cav can save time by arriving at the outpost, they can cause a lot more early havoc.

I am thinking that this strat could be really dangerous with an Aztec or Iro ally. A 2 skull knight/14 mace/4 landsknecht/4 uhlan rush at 5:40 would be extremely hard to stop.
Last edited by Kaiser_von_Nuben on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Aggressive German Rush

Post by huGGy »

I did this early Outpost strat several times now. It can rock with 10 early Uhlans. If you're not planning a hardcore rush i recommend playing boomy in team games. I never thought about throwing Landsknechts into their base that early. Since Germans are my main Civ lately i'll definitely try this out. If you see me online message me for a game pls :].
DrWho42
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by DrWho42 »

Someone playing Germans did this to me a few months ago on Deccan. He had built the outpost and stable near the side of my base by the trade route. Of course my military and warhut were on the plateau, so by the time I counter marched my troops to my TC, it was down and half the vils sabered by his uhlans. Very evil and very effective.

"Any hussar who isn't dead by thirty is goldbricking." General Lasalle
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

nice i will try it sometime
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

op write up kaiser . i remember you doing this to me in a clan game earlier in the day (i was iro) , i was foolish enough to do wise woman age up in an attempt at a musket-rider/prowler ff but as soon as i had a stable up w/ travois for warhut up i see 3 doppels and 5 uhlans tearing my fb down :mad: very effective in team game ( u had a russian on your team ) and this kind of early pressure can when done right will spell out GG relatively fast
- Dan
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

sounds evil - the only time you see mercs in your base so early are usually from hackers

1 question tho: does the merc shipment take 60 sec to arrive? I age III they all do, but I don't know about the age II landsknechts card
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]sounds evil - the only time you see mercs in your base so early are usually from hackers

1 question tho: does the merc shipment take 60 sec to arrive? I age III they all do, but I don't know about the age II landsknechts card[/quote]

exactly what i was thinking.. i'll try it out now and then edit

edit: it takes one unbelievable(in numbers:1) minute for them to pop out o.o
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]sounds evil - the only time you see mercs in your base so early are usually from hackers

1 question tho: does the merc shipment take 60 sec to arrive? I age III they all do, but I don't know about the age II landsknechts card[/quote]

exactly what i was thinking.. i'll try it out now and then edit

edit: it takes one unbelievable(in numbers:1) minute for them to pop out o.o[/quote]

I knew it was long, but not that long! The key is aging quickly so you can send it ASAP. If you end up sending 3 doppels instead, it would prolly be much quicker. Also note that the Landsknechts should ARRIVE at 5:15-5:25; it takes them several seconds thereafter to walk over to the enemy base. Generally by 6:00 they should be there at the latest. Obviously it helps to find OP food and coin treasures during discovery.

@ Dan: Yes, the great thing about this strat in general is that it is super high siege. It can destroy FB's really fast, before they have a chance to pump out enough troops to stop those sword-wielding monsters. With an ally to cover you from RI, it's really difficult to stop.

Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Yeah iv seen this strat done by trixsta when I was In an observer game with him a while ago.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Kaiser, another one of your great write ups has made it into my strat book! Thank you again, I can't wait to try this out. I love the early "all-in" rushes, but it gets pretty predictable when playing as Iro's/Russians/Aztecs... :-P
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

This could be very deadly with an Aztec ally, those 2 sk will add to the siege, and the quick maces will counter RI, covering you most efficiently imo.

I also have another idea with this with otto, though I'm not really sure how to explain, I understand you're in New York, what times can you play?, I'm in Vermont.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""blayzer13""]This could be very deadly with an Aztec ally, those 2 sk will add to the siege, and the quick maces will counter RI, covering you most efficiently imo.

I also have another idea with this with otto, though I'm not really sure how to explain, I understand you're in New York, what times can you play?, I'm in Vermont.[/quote]

No doubt about the Aztec part. I think that would be the best hard rush partner for this strat. I'm usually on in the evening, your time :D I generally don't do rated anymore, but feel free to use my builds as much as you like!

blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

I don't really do rated either but I have an ottoman rush that could go with this nicely
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

wouldnt coyotes go with that HI strat better? Countering the RI faster, going after vills, and better siege?
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Nice write up Kaiser, I used to do this a lot when I was playing rated games. It won me many, I'll say that much. ;)