Longbow's too OP?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Longbow's too OP?

Post by Warlord678 »

Last night I had two different waves of cavalry engage me from both sides. With some micro, I managed to kill both waves and still had many longbow's standing.

Next patch I believe they are giving longbow's 1 less attack. Is this enough to balance out longbow's?

Post your thoughts.
hallchr

Re: Longbow's too OP?

Post by hallchr »

Frankly, I think longbows are irritating against cannons because they for some reason outrange most of them. I didn't know they take cavalry out very easily. I think they should reduce their range by like 2.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

^ Reducing their range I think would make longbows lose their identity, they are unique units and therefore anything done to them takes time, it goes back to the ashi, they are a temperamental unit, reducing longbows range would mean they would basically be like xbows but with the hit and run capability.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""djdan""]^ Reducing their range I think would make longbows lose their identity, they are unique units and therefore anything done to them takes time, it goes back to the ashi, they are a temperamental unit, reducing longbows range would mean they would basically be like xbows but with the hit and run capability.[/quote]

100% true.
the fan patch team makes sure not to decrease the "uniqueness" of the units (if this word exists)

ashis 4.5 speed, lbs 22(26) range

so their range will stay the same

you know my thoughts of brits, hate them, civ i have the most trouble with :(
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Warlord678 »

Yeah I agree dan, decreasing lbs range would probably balance them out just a bit more.
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

Personally, I don't mind the range. It is the ROF coupled with a high base damage that tears through most units that counter the LB.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""KingVint""]Personally, I don't mind the range. It is the ROF coupled with a high base damage that tears through most units that counter the LB.[/quote] yumi>longbow
- Dan
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Longbows don't need an adjustment. If it's the time I'm thinking of, it was because your longbows massively outnumbered our cav. There is a critical mass of longbows that become immune to raiding-size groups of cav. This is as it should be, because the counter system is not supposed to be an easy button, it's merely supposed to define who wins in otherwise-similar resource level groups. Anything beats its own counter in sufficient numbers.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Longbows are good at what they are designed for - General anti-infanry units. You start throwing them in the middle of cav and they're gonna die. But longbows do better vs cav beause of their RoF I think...
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Originally i thought that the fan patches would be a good idea, but now all they are trying to do is balance every single dam unit in the game to make them exactly perfectly equal in every possible way. Soon hussars are going to be OP once we nerf everything else and eventually settler armies are going to be OP so we have to add x3 settler bonus for all units...

Just get over the fact that longbows are a good unit and live with it.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

the patches are a good idea. And what their doing is balancing the game so that hopefully one day each civ will be competetive. Not just 1 or 2 civs dominating. Like every other patch. Longbows/yumi are too strong atm. And if they balance every unit In the game how would hussars be op if they are balanced? And why in holy Moses are you talking about up op vils? That's why I am glad we have ppl who know balance making the patch
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Longbows are not too strong. They are easily countered by decent numbers of their counters. They even die to decently microed muskets if the muskets get an age up on them. They have no siege, and are only built by a solid civ that has no early rush. What is too strong about them?

I don't know much about yumi, but I do know that I'm not terrified of them like I am of ashis. If yumis are a problem, they are either not a big problem or maybe the better players are still steering clear of abusing Japan.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Massed longbows are too strong, no doubt. Don't forget that when massed and when they are quiet on the same place they have 1.5 rof, which means they attack much faster.

early on they are weak against HI tho, that's why they-re getting -1 attack and +0.25x vs HI.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

the hand attack could be reduced a bit too, it's more than a rodelero atm
If forced into melee they should get BBQ'd imho
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Patch 1.0: Nerfed Ashi, Zamburak
Patch 1.1: Nerfed LBs, Upped Ottos. Now ottos are OP
Patch 1.2: Nerfed Spahi and Jans cos they are OP. Killed Aztec and Iro BB Now China is OP.
Patch 1.3: Diciple limit brought down to 1. Monk attack is Nerfed. Now France is OP...
Patch 1.4: Upped Otto again to no-patch at all. France and Otto are now OP.
Patch 1.5: Nerfed Xbows back to 1.25 vs HI cos France double rax spam was OP.
Patch 1.6: Otto FF was now OP They nerfed spahi

At patch 3.99999, Hussar will be OP and we are going to have to use settler armies in patch 4.5

Can we just live with the fact some civs are better than others, all are competitive at Pr36+ level (even ports...) and get on with life