Any French Strats?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

hallchr

Re: Any French Strats?

Post by hallchr »

When I play them I either hussar spam, double rax xbow spam, musket spam, or FF. I find the most effective one to be a hussar spam.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Chaos:
yes, early game, you cannot waste a card on it instead of 700 resources, 4 cdb or military shipments, also, age II skirms are not so practical imho, depletes your coin mines too.
it might be better in team games (ports has vet casadores), yet i doubt it
I'd say it generally isn't worth it either. Unless there was a good chance you're going to get hit by HI.

However, it might be arguably worth it if you were intending on playing the Wilderness Warfare shipment anyway - for your cdbs and natives. Because, that card gives you +20% cdb, native, *and skirm hp*. And 20% skirm hp> the +15% xbow & skirm hp shipment (long ranged infantry hit points) - and can be played with it.

Good point about it being risky if on a low gold map. Having said that, French above all civs have the advantage here because if you're mining a gold patch away from you base, your cdb are stronger than other civs settlers - except against cav - and are therefore more likely to be able to handle themselves if they get advanced on.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

That's one thing that I have trouble with. I'm like scared to death about using my villies to fend of attacks or attack with. ITS MY ECONOMY!!!
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

On that note, does anyone use the Explorer upgrade age 2 card so you can heal your units? I'm reluctant to use it because it's an age 2 shipment. But it might be worthwhile, not sure. If there's lots of skirmishes, it might be really useful.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I tried using that card but there are too many other age II cards that are simply better. The dog is cool tho :) if it were an age I card, I might put it in some decks
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

Lately i have been trying a xbow/Hussar rush and it works pretty well except vs russia, iro and aztecs.

-bassically 14 vill age up with quartermaster

-3 vills first card

-build a couple houses and mabye a market in transistion

-build stable then barracks with age up wood.

-You want your basic hussar spam eco distribution but all new vills to wood

-Ship 8 xbows build 5 muskets and que as many hussar as possible,
usually 3, sometimes 4

-harrass with that then ship 700 wood while building hussar

-spam hussar and xbow/pike then send 4 cdb or watever you like next, mabye even 700 gold and age to fortress.

I like this strat cause i find it is very flexible kinda like hussar/musket. I can turn it into a semi ff at any point. i have had decent success with it at the 1st luit /captain level. I dont use this vs aztec, iro or russia. Ill get a Record up if i get one.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

hey what's the best strat in a french mirroir ;) ?
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]hey what's the best strat in a french mirroir ;) ?[/quote]
That is a tough questions, there are so many options that either of you could do. I really dont know i havent had one in a while.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]hey what's the best strat in a french mirroir ;) ?[/quote]

:D

You have four options (well, of course you have way more, but i usually do this):

-Double Rax Xbows/Pike rush (Great Plains is a good map for it, cause you can easily add cheyenne and comanches without switching the ressource).
-5 Hussar Semi-FF (Like we did on New England. There you could add this card for this TP-Route).
-Straight FF.
-Going for natives (Good Map is Painted Desert and everywhere where you have Crees).
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

mongolia is nice for natives, war eles/rattan shields

and if you are op in spying and know that your opponent is semi-ff'ing with 4 hussars, then do a musket semi ff :D
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

I'm getting there Huggy. After loosing endless games as French, and PR dropping by two, I've just won my last two games. First one was against a Sioux 1st Leutantent :).

I'm really liking French (c.f. Aztec). So much variety. The age up transition is so much smoother than with Aztecs. I miss my WC though - explorers are rubbish by comparison. WCs dominate age 1.

And, I can actually hit and run! Wow. Got so used to units with a 1.5 ROF. Hitting and running is fun by comparison.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Won 2 games tonight. 1st one vs. Aztec. Second against Vale - a 1st Leut 1800 25PR guy. Beat his Sioux. I went muskets, he raided with lots of Axe Riders. Held him off. Then - obviously - he came in with cretans. I still had muskets but shipped in some Huron Mantlets as meat shields. Microed fairly well. Chased him back to his base and he resigned. I think he was a little embarassed I'd beaten him. Played him the other night French vs. French. He'd won that one.

Go French!
Muzz
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Muzz »

http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?porta ... try1331396

Heres a good french strat, althoigh the brit one is even better! xD

3 dock fish boom as BRIT=op economy
Oukka
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Oukka »

What cards you sent in age II if u r doing doublerax xbow/pike?
I usually use the both wood cards and then eco theory or 4 cdb, have I any possibilities with that?
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

save eco theory until you are in fortress with 3 town centers up , for dual rax it depends really, what i mean is if your being rushed hard you can send 8 xbow, if your not being rushed you ca n send 700 wood or 4 cdb, really depends on what civ your facing and scouting to locate where thier fb is, what units your facing, and how much of a mass they have, sometimes its beneficial to age up with the tower+200 coin and ship 2 towers asap vs. civs like iro and russia where thier initial mass will almost always be larger then yours
- Dan