Spanish Semi-FF / Musk rush

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Spanish Semi-FF / Musk rush

Post by Ghosteh »

First, a disclaimer. I haven't been around in a while, so feel free to tell me so or help out or whatever. I was tossing around the idea earlier and decided it's a possible to work.

Deck is as follows:

AGE1
Capitalism
Land Grab
TEAM Cheap Barracks
Colonial Militia

AGE2
700 Wood/Food/Gold
4 and 5 Settlers
8 Pikes
Unction
Hand Cavalry Attack
Advanced Arsenal
Medicine

AGE3
1 Covered Wagon
3 and 4 Lancers
Hand Cavalry Combat
Caballeros
2 Falconets
Fort
Colonial Estancias

AGE4
Factory
Industrial Revolution

--

Build order: Capitalism, 700 Food, and then it depends from there what the opponent is doing.

--

The basic idea is to start off and keep villagers in production constantly until age up around 3:00. As soon as Capitalism becomes available, use it and let the gold start to pile up. Should have around 12-13 Villagers now.

Age with Outpost + Gold and then put 8 villagers on wood and the remaining on food. Build a house or two (depending on resources) and send someone forward to build a base, preferrably near a hunt or mine of some sort., while aging. Once you have 600 wood (or two barracks and two extra houses in addition to the original ones) put three villagers on wood and two on gold and move the remaining villagers back to food.

Should have 8 food, 3 wood, and 2 gold at this point. Once you are age 2, send in that 700 food shipment that you have waiting to us.

Set your rally point to a hunt and start pumping all villagers into food production at this point to feed your food hungry villagers and musketeers and start sending them out of both barracks at the same time.

--

I know that three villagers is more efficient than capitalism, but at this point in time I've started trying capitalism out again since I just started playing again and feel like things are moving so fast.

--

Oh, and I know it's not your standard xbow/pike rush or FF but it does have some cards that can turn it to a standard FF or semi-FF build pretty quickly. I'd definitely not recommend this against Britain though, but really, I can't seem to find anything with Spain that works against Britain other than resign. Haha.

Thoughts? Comments?
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Spanish Semi-FF / Musk rush

Post by Ghosteh »

You could also do it as barracks + stable or just one Barracks.
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ghosteh »

I'm still testing it and working on it. Just played a game against Russia using one Barracks on GPlains and lost but it took him 20 minutes and I just couldn't muster enough to get him off me. Bad micro and getting my villagers stuck in TC is what got me. I think it has potential though.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

AGE1
TEAM Cheap Barracks - I would swap it for 1k food or some rods or something in age 3.

AGE3
1 Covered Wagon - swap it for 1k wood 600 for a tc and 400 left over for anything.

It should make the strat more stronger in age 3.
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ghosteh »

Thanks! I'll do that. Right now it needs a lot of work but I do think it's a viable strategy at some point in time. Anyone else? I'd love to hear opinions, even if it's just that it's a crap strat.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

for the ff-
I would send 700 gold rather than 700 food. Food is faster to collect and you aged up with the tower+200 gold so you only need to collect 100 gold if that.Then send 700wood as your 3rd card for rax/stable and houses ect.

I wont talk about the 3 vills as you all ready know about it.
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ghosteh »

[quote=""joe4holly""]for the ff-
I would send 700 gold rather than 700 food. Food is faster to collect and you aged up with the tower+200 gold so you only need to collect 100 gold if that.Then send 700wood as your 3rd card for rax/stable and houses ect.

I wont talk about the 3 vills as you all ready know about it.[/quote]

Hmm... generally if I'm FF as Spain I do this:

3vills
8 pikes*
700 gold*

It gets me there around 6:45-7:00 and sometimes I have enough shipments left for Caballeros + Lancers or both Lancer cards. The cards for that depend on the civ I'm playing against.

So I definitely agree with you there. The reason I'm sending 700 food here is because 9 musk = 650F 225G and since I'm using capitalism I should have enough for an additional 10 musketeers to pop out together at this point.

One problem I'm finding is that faster players tend to get out ahead of me and can get in my base just before the barracks finish.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

The 3 vills card it better than you think and allway my 1st card I send. While aging put all vills onto wood to get the 200 for the rax and 100 for a house if you need one. Then when you hit age 2 put 2/3 vills right onto making the rax.I find making musk early is 90% of the time worthless in 1v1 as they die to units like xbow can can me easy made out of 2 rax early like with france.

If you are Semi-ff you could make some cav to raid with to put some early pressure on. Watch drew VOD brits vs spain drew got raided a lot and again so much from killing the odd vill evry 20-40 secs. It all down to you tho evry game diffrent + im no spain pro.
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ghosteh »

Ahh. The reason I came up with the strat was to try and deal with early raiding from cavalry and because musks have decent siege compared to xbows. I figured it seemed worth a try since they are also strong against cavalry.

Probably going to scrap the idea. Just wanted to come up with something new and see if I could turn something good from it.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Some nice ideas! Vs Russia just FF with 4 Hussars and ship Lancers first. Huss, Lancer, TC fire -> Dead russian. After that ship cannons, add skirms and pikes and it's gg. Depends on skill level of course. But normally that's the way to go. 8 Pikes are ok, but ship 700 gold first. Cause if your opponent doesn't attack you're even faster in Age3 and you got one more shipment.
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ghosteh »

It's hard against Russia sometimes. Because a lot of times they get you with raiding or get in your town just quick enough to keep you from aging, even if you are clicking Age at 6:45.
Ghosteh
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ghosteh »

Is it just me or does Spain just seem terrible now? Before I quit I could use them somewhat decently but recently I'll play people using Dutch and they'll just absolutely destroy me no matter what I do.

If I FF and come at them with goons / lancers then they have halberd/skirms and just eat me alive. Sometimes musks. If I come at them with xbow/pike then their skirms / hussars destroy me. Can't seem to put enough pressure on them to stop their eco and it just seems like Dutch beat my ass in TAD now.

Used to be I beat the god out of Dutch most of the time with Spain. What's the deal now? Hussars come at me like spider monkeys.