Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Who bothers with eco anyway :p And musketeers suck at guarding the pope (jans suck harder tho) pikes and especially goons are greater swiss guards. Getting -some-, not all, muskets on melee is always good - they deal more damage, (go melee vs RI when possible too) and they slow cav down. I have to admit I'm used to dealing with tomahawks where the benefit of going melee is greater than it is for musks (musks have 23 rg, 13x3 melee, tomas 19 rg, 14x3 melee).
AGSP
Conscript
Conscript

Post by AGSP »

I have good experience with musks against gendarme. I played against french and he spammed them. Two times he tried to raid my base but his majesty imperial redcoats repulsed them:) its my point of view.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""AGSP""]I have good experience with musks against gendarme. I played against french and he spammed them. Two times he tried to raid my base but his majesty imperial redcoats repulsed them:) its my point of view.[/quote]
Imperial redcoats vs imperial gemdarme?
3 redcoats cost more than 1 gemdarme, 5 gemdarme will beat 15 redcoats.
Sorry, but if you beat him then you had a lot more, or he was terrible at micro.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Who bothers with eco anyway :p And musketeers suck at guarding the pope (jans suck harder tho) pikes and especially goons are greater swiss guards. Getting -some-, not all, muskets on melee is always good - they deal more damage, (go melee vs RI when possible too) and they slow cav down. I have to admit I'm used to dealing with tomahawks where the benefit of going melee is greater than it is for musks (musks have 23 rg, 13x3 melee, tomas 19 rg, 14x3 melee).[/quote]
With Tomahawks you're much more inclined to go melee, I mean their ranged attack animation is pretty damn frustrating, and it feels really weak to use! I mean c'mon! It doesn't even go BANG.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

True be dat.
AGSP
Conscript
Conscript

Post by AGSP »

[quote=""Cammel""][quote=""AGSP""]I have good experience with musks against gendarme. I played against french and he spammed them. Two times he tried to raid my base but his majesty imperial redcoats repulsed them:) its my point of view.[/quote]
Sorry, but if you beat him then you had a lot more, or he was terrible at micro.[/quote]

I also had upgrades from advanced arsenal.

yes i have more musks than he but u have to take into account that gendarme takes 3 pop. so i think number of gendarme is always lower than number of musks (in case of the fact that both players have a lot of resources).
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""AGSP""][quote=""Cammel""][quote=""AGSP""]I have good experience with musks against gendarme. I played against french and he spammed them. Two times he tried to raid my base but his majesty imperial redcoats repulsed them:) its my point of view.[/quote]
Sorry, but if you beat him then you had a lot more, or he was terrible at micro.[/quote]

I also had upgrades from advanced arsenal.

yes i have more musks than he but u have to take into account that gendarme takes 3 pop. so i think number of gendarme is always lower than number of musks (in case of the fact that both players have a lot of resources).[/quote]
I factored this in, I'm saying that 3 Redcoats cost 300 res (225f 75c) and 3 population slots, 1 Gemdarme costs 300 res (150f 150c) and that 15 Redcoats vs 5 Gemdarme, the Gemdarme would likely win. I gave my example to be true to population and resource, as this is about cost effectiveness.
Fully upgraded Gemdarme slaughter all musketeers, it's a fact.
Redcoats generally aren't good to build vs Germarme late game, for the simple fact of mobility. Even if you can just about beat them in a straight off fight, you need LOTS - and the french could easily have insta cuirs popping up all around your base. Dragoon spam is much more effective, and Britain gets really good Dragoons if you stick in a few upgrade cards (which you should always do playing with a slow paced civ)
AGSP
Conscript
Conscript

Post by AGSP »

ok dragoons:)