Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Control Groups - Firing

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Hi,

By putting units in control groups, does it automatically mean they'll fire at the same target - i.e., specific unit. Or do they just fire at the nearest targets as individuals?

I'm wondering, if I put multiple Warhuts in a control group, will they fire together at the same target?
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Re: Control Groups - Firing

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Hmmm... Looks like to get WHs to fire at the same target you have to select them together and pick the target. Then after that target is dead, they start firing randomly again. So, to get them all to fire them together you'd have to select the control group and select the target with each shot.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I think most units fire randomly after the initialy chosen target is dead. I think the one exception is longbows which seem to have a mind of their own in larger groups.
I find control groups good for manouvering, and small skirmishes, but with larger amounts I use control groups for manourvering and then "drag-select" smaller groups for targeting units.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

yep, what strokey said is the way i do it too.
also use attack move (hold alt-key then rightklick on a field near the enemy units) so that they attack immediately, and don't waste over 10 shots just for 1 single unit
drag box>all, but it requires fast and solid mouse movements
jonesk
Private
Private

Post by jonesk »

Hmmm... Looks like to get WHs to fire at the same target you have to select them together and pick the target. Then after that target is dead, they start firing randomly again. So, to get them all to fire them together you'd have to select the control group and select the target with each shot.
You could try shift clicking, I'm pretty sure that works.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Ah... nice idea.

Okay, here we go... I don't want to get known for coming up with totally impractical ideas - none of which work in practice - but I was playing around with this idea.

As Aztec, use the WH aging politician. Build a forward WH while aging and set it as your delivery point. Then, the aging warhut will pop out at the forward. Then play the 2 WH card the moment you age. Place all 4 WH touching in a square. Each WH will have +10% damage (i.e. 33 dam) and +30% hp. Then just play regularly from there.

I was thinking, if you know in advance roughly how many WH you need to build to one shot kill common units, e.g., pikes, Xbow, etc. and a way of linking their fire together, it could be quite powerful.

WHs Base damage
1 33
2 66
3 99
4 132
5 165

With 4 WH you can one shot kill a pike. (120 hp)
With 5 WH you can one shot kill a musket (150 hp)

But shift-clicking might he quite a nice way of doing it. Then, if your forward is attacked, you can select all the WH (e.g., by already having control grouped them to '1', and pressing 1. And then shift-click through units attacking - starting with the pikes.

Not so sure 5 WH is such a good idea. 4 is managable. Plus you get +50XP for each one built which gets you a good way towards your next shipment.

I actually did try this is a game (without the shift-click suggestion) against quite a high ranked player. I kept harrassing his TC from the forward to keep his attention there. Although, I built *too many* WH (something like 6). The end result was that he was able to age up and with artillery the game turned. So, if using this at all, maybe stop at 4 WH and spend the rest on units to keep pressure.

Does anyone know how RR works?

For example, if a unit has 100 hp and 20% rr, and I right in saying that's like it has 120 hp to ranged units. i.e., 100 * 1.2.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

For me I play Portugal. Now in our team games one of the things I do is put a giant meat shield of muskets with like 15 cass behind it. Is it going to work if I make like 3 control groups of 5 cass each and individually pick of units?
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""hallchr""]For me I play Portugal. Now in our team games one of the things I do is put a giant meat shield of muskets with like 15 cass behind it. Is it going to work if I make like 3 control groups of 5 cass each and individually pick of units?[/quote]
3 control groups of cass is pointless, put them in one behind the muskets and then just use drag/click to fight. That's way too complicated.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

@Sun_Tzu1:
most ppl won't try to rush your aztecs, and sit in their base and boom, then your wh's are there for nothing :/ and you lost shipments, wasted what the age up poli granted. etc.

also if oyu build forward liekt hat, that leaves your base unguarded
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

What if I have a bunch of muskets and like 15 cass behind them. Not microing the cass but letting them dish out the extra damage. Is that a better idea?
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

That's completely scenario determined tbh. It depends what your fighting. And why musk / cassa when you have goon or musk / organ? This is speaking strictly on team games btw. Because if you only have. 15 cassa and a bunch of musk. The cassa aren't going to be that helpful. Yet if you have 3/4 organs behind your mass won't they be better vs Infantry? Cassa have 17 attack x2 vs hi. While organs do base damage of 33 X 6 with an area affect. Most damage your cassas could do is 510 vs hi. While 4 organs can do 792 base damage and then take into account the area. I think they would be much more effective than 15 cassas.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

I never really thought of that. Thanks.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

@Sun_Tzu1:
most ppl won't try to rush your aztecs, and sit in their base and boom, then your wh's are there for nothing :/ and you lost shipments, wasted what the age up poli granted. etc.

also if oyu build forward liekt hat, that leaves your base unguarded
All true.

@ the last bit. With the 4 WH there, I was still massing troops and making sorties into their base. It'd be a brave opponent to get an army to your base when you're camped outside his - unless you were both rushing at the start. Him raiding you may still be a prob though.

@ the bit before that. It takes a poli and one shipment to get 4 WH up like that. (You'd normally build a starting WH anyway). Not sure that's *too* excessive.

@ the bit before that. Positioning the 4 WH block is important. If you use it to claim resources on their end of the board it can make it hard for them to sit back and boom. You need eco to boom. I'd try to position it somewhere that covers both a goldmine and group of hunt, etc.