Double Japam Shrine Boom/Shrine Boom
21%
Dutch Straight FF w/6 banks and skrim spam
8%
India Mansabdar FF
4%
British 70 settler boom
21%
Russia 200 musket rush (takes 16 mins to do unfortunately)
No votes

Total votes: 24

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Which is Most OP in NR10

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

@ Kaiser: would a german TP FF for upped mercs work vs Otto Revolt? Most mercs are anti cav and the 20% boost card HP/Att should make em strong enough to compete vs otto units
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]@ Kaiser: would a german TP FF for upped mercs work vs Otto Revolt? Most mercs are anti cav and the 20% boost card HP/Att should make em strong enough to compete vs otto units[/quote]

I've tried it. Essentially you can only get one merc shipment on the field by the time their Imp Hussar/militia mass shows up. I sent Black Riders, and although I took down a few hussars, the militia do 52 ranged damage per shot, which eats up the mercs pretty quick (they have hand resistance). Jaegers are similarly flawed because they would be devoured by the hussars. Finally, you would not have time to send the upped merc card. Once you send one merc batch, the battle has begun, and you need to keep up for dear life once it does. An upgrade card would not be the best solution when you need pure mass.

The other problem is that on many maps you can't get a TP. During the treaty period, you cannot build outside the immediate vicinity of your base, so even if you have the wood for a TP, you can't build it until the 10-minute mark. By that point, you need to be in military production mode or you're finished. That said, there are a couple maps where the TP is close enough to your base that you can build it during the treaty period. I think you can do it on California and Great Plains, if memory serves.

While merc FF is not the best idea against Otto Revolts, it is extremely handy against other civs. I have used it with great success against the Aztecs, Brtis, French, Otto Spahi FF and Russians in NR 10. You age with the marksman, send Landsknechts or BR, put up a stable, build uhlans and send Jaegers. With micro, you can whip anything they throw at you at that stage. Essentially, you just march in on them, take map control and eventually nail them with merc power. It is great to watch BRs or Landsknechts totally pwn a 5 mam shipment or 5 spahi shipment! That's their whole econ gone in one second.

Germany's other great NR 10 possibility is straight 2 falc FI with heavy cannons and Age 4 shipment spam. The idea there is to start off defensive with some walls, let his army attack you, blast them with heavy cannons, then counterattack with 12 skirms, 9 doppels or 10 guard hussars. This is a tricky strat that falls to a hard rush at treaty's end, but when it works it is spectacular. Hydrovert was an unfortunate victim of mine using this strat once. The key is to hold out for 1 minute after treaty end and build a few houses (those Age 4 shipments are pop heavy). Econ is not so important in this strat, since your shipments will be doing the heavy lifting.

I can't believe I remember all this! I haven't done these builds in a couple months! Photographic memory FTPW.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

NR10 is just Rush with China.

It is mathematically impossible to get 25 IMP hussars on Deccan by 10 minutes, let alone on Texas. You just do not ageup fast enough on Texas to be able to send both hussar shipments by 10 mins. Considering the excess wood you need to cut for houses.

I guess i was a bit extreme, it is mathematically possible to get 25 IMP hussar on deccan, you just need to get both EXP treasures for 700 extra EXP and age up by 8:40 and send ur first shipment IMMEDIATELY (trust me, it is harder than it seems)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i know cheesehat, the thing i mentioned takes longer, like 11:30mins instead of 10
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

I really am wondering why everyone is voting for the Otto revolt, you'd think everyone would vote for Japan :P

Anyway, I'm just really pissed off atm, Do bow riders really shoot at 1.5? They owned my 22 IMP hussars (I decided to try the age with the 4 hussar dude...failed bad) and 16 Cms before i killed like 3 bow riders.

How do they kill me before i can even touch them? 16 CMs shooting one Bow rider still wont die

No he wasn't hacking...or at least I Hope.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

BR are a broken unit to go with a broken civ like sioux not much you can do vs them. If you make LI the sioux just add in some AR.
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

CMs are supposed to counter BR, right?
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""cheesehat""]CMs are supposed to counter BR, right?[/quote]

They should. They do 52 damage per shot at range against BRs, which only have hand resistance and 250 HP in colonial. You CM should take them down pretty easily, I would think.

cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Should does not mean will...Stupid TEEPEE SPAM
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

dunno i tought HI was never good against Light cav..
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]dunno i tought HI was never good against Light cav..[/quote]

If you go for say an ashi/sepoy spam and then start assaulting his base, he has to commit with his BR then rather than hitting and running. The problem with Sioux is when they set the initiative and attack in your base as then they can make the spped count for something ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

You all are forgetting the NR 20 German for free mercs... yes free mercs.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""36drew""]You all are forgetting the NR 20 German for free mercs... yes free mercs.[/quote]

Well, you have to pay for them from the saloon, but you can send them without cost. And German Age IV merc shipments are simply devastating. I think 10 Fusilier and the Mediterranean Mercenary Army are highly underrated.

@Wicked Assassin: Light cav is strange. Dragoons get ranged resistance; cav archer-type units get hand resistance. Anything with a good ranged attack is good against light cav with hand resistance. Ranged HI (muskets etc.) should do OK against BRs because they do full damage to them at range. But CM should do even better, because they get a X2 bonus against ALL CAV at range. Problem is, BRs have a fast rate of fire and HI don't resist against their ranged attack. That is why you see HI going down bad against massed BRs. Technically it should not happen as often as it does. For that reason, people call BRs (and sometimes even massed late-game dragoons) a broken unit.
Last edited by Kaiser_von_Nuben on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^ Yeah. Ship mercantilism and you have constant stream of 2000k merc shipments. Like you said, devastating!
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

would that work in a german mirror or vs japan? ninjas could be devastating to that strat, but only if the explorer wasn't anywhere near the mercs
- Dan