My first and second recorded game for review

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

My first and second recorded game for review

Post by Macavity »

---Hello all! I am by no means an expert yet, but I would love some reviews of my recorded game. This is me playing the Indians(Seargent) vs Dutch (Mstr Seargent). My goal was to go fast fortress and harrass while doing so. Also I was concentrating on my councilate and TP's.
---This is my highest ranked opponent that I have beaten as the Indians. Let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Macavity on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: My first recorded game for review

Post by Comadevil »

1st i want to say this are the things which need improvement. That said, this is theory and i also don'T accomplish alle the time everything i say here

- You don't need card medicine in ur deck, if u build constantly villagers then u have the same amount of villagers as u had in the end, instead of sending this u should have sent units or the 2nd wood trickle card
- Instead of improved rice paddies and acreland conservation, take sawmills and exotic hardwood into ur deck or even wood crates. Sawmills, exotic hardwood pay off on the longrun, wood crates instantly, this other cards don't help so much because usually 1v1 don't go to Age IV or V
- When u are fighting keep ur army together and don't let only a few chase ur opponents units (fight in the end), don't fight pikes with cav respectively ur explorer)
- on herdable heavy maps don't waste ur time with tresures (except mongolia for the mongolian rider) and sperate ur explorer to get all cows. They are more worth. After it u can concentrate on treasures
- get more treasures, don't be focused too much on ur eco (i mean just keep everything running, but don't keep the monitor always on ur base)
- should haven taken 3rd tp instead of upgrading the trade routes
- develop market upgrades (they give 30% in total more gather rate for food, wood and gold the last wood upgrade not included)

I cannot say to tactics much more because i haven't played indians yet, KK may say more to this

And DUtch who turtles only 2 banks at 15 minute mark, quite strange
-
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

well played Macavity, that guy was no competition for you

some pointers I can give u:
- if u age up fast, dont waste wood & buildtime on a house, you could have had 1 more vil
- as soon as u start aging, put all vils on wood
- u found 17 Yak (cows), maybe build 2 of those sacred fields? (not sure how much it helps though)
- I think u did well to upgrade the TP route, XP was flowing in nicely anyway, but you forgot to put the TP's on resources
- I'd never use the medicine card

keep it up and u will gain ranks quickly
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yup, not sure what this guy playing Dutch was trying to achieve, but he may as well have been AI on sandbox.

Nicely played though, you kept moving your cav around his base which is good. Always do that with cav, in and out. If you can pick of a vill then do so, if not move back out so you don't lose any units. Take them out of LOS and move back in from another direction. This restricts them to gathering areas and helps you gain map control, it makes them think twice about expanding out into the map.

Try using control groups for different units, and remember which unit is good against a unit that he has, then use only that unit against his so you are making the most of your units. (Counters).
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

question about control groups. Whats the easiest way to learn how to use them? Also he was chatting the whole time that I was a smurf and that it wasn't fair I was playing him. Maybe I rattled him off his gameplan...
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Re: My first and second recorded game for review

Post by Macavity »

Here is my latest 1v1. This player outranks my last opponent (although he's only lvl 16). again I tried for the councilate and TP upgrades. (Yes I will update my deck to include exotic hardwoods I just forgot)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Macavity""]question about control groups. Whats the easiest way to learn how to use them? Also he was chatting the whole time that I was a smurf and that it wasn't fair I was playing him. Maybe I rattled him off his gameplan...[/quote]

If u want to use control groups just put units of one type into it e.g.
1 HI
2 LI
3 Cav
4 Anti-Cav cav
5 Artillery
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Macavity""]question about control groups. Whats the easiest way to learn how to use them? [/quote]

Same as anything, practice, practice, practice..... then when you think you have it licked............. practice some more!

When I first started using control groups I use to play against the comp and I would make 5 groups and keep one hand on the numbers, one on the mouse, and walk each group around something, a house for instance or a barracks. I did this for ages moving all 5 groups at the same time in different directions. It takes 4 clicks on a group to walk them round a small object, so 5 groups is 20 movements. I kept doing this till I got better and better at it, it certainly sharpened me up a bit.
Sadly, I lack the natural ability of some of the really good guys, they just do it without even having to think!
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

SUGGESTION: Please change the name of your records before uploading.

[quote=""Comadevil""][quote=""Macavity""]question about control groups. Whats the easiest way to learn how to use them? Also he was chatting the whole time that I was a smurf and that it wasn't fair I was playing him. Maybe I rattled him off his gameplan...[/quote]

If u want to use control groups just put units of one type into it e.g.
1 HI
2 LI
3 Cav
4 Anti-Cav cav
5 Artillery[/quote]

Very good control group suggestions Strokey and Coma. I could stand to gain from those. I haven't deliniated good enough concepts for each number. It helps to be consistant. You should also be able to use harley method as it is best choice when you are in a Jam and not all your units got grouped to a number. Utilize ctrl-click to seperate a specific unit out of a group, I often do this to get musks types firing on cav and skirm types on infantry.

I really like strokey's idea, I could stand to do a bit of that with Coma's control group deliniators.

I also use these:
8 all my Rax's and Fort
9 all my TC hit v once and get 3 villies queued. repeat for mass queueing. You don't even have to see your TC's to do this.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

) i have also for TCs , for brracks, stables etc., i use the new hotkeys, which selects all of one type
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Here is my latest 1v1. This player outranks my last opponent (although he's only lvl 16). again I tried for the councilate and TP upgrades. (Yes I will update my deck to include exotic hardwoods I just forgot)
Well played Mac. You out-produced him in villagers and were more aggressive. Good job raiding and protecting your own vills.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""Macavity""]question about control groups. Whats the easiest way to learn how to use them? [/quote]

Same as anything, practice, practice, practice..... then when you think you have it licked............. practice some more!

When I first started using control groups I use to play against the comp and I would make 5 groups and keep one hand on the numbers, one on the mouse, and walk each group around something, a house for instance or a barracks. [/quote]

One hand on the numbers and one on the mouse!? Its just not possible I tell ya! With both hands busy how are you meant to drink your beer!!!
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

use Homer's hat with straws :)

Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

With control groups you just really need to practice a lot and a lot... I would say that the people to truely master control groups are the top 100 players in the world. I mess up my control groups all the time and sometimes don't have fast enough movements to set and reset them during battles.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Ahhhh Chaos you are indeed wise in the ways of beer drinking! I see I still have much to learn.... :D