Other?
9%

Total votes: 32

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Best FF ?

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Good question. I voted for Ports just because they get such automatic economic power from a FF... immediate 3 TC is just devastating. Plus they ship in 5 mams with 1450 HP each; that's the HP of about 25 hussars. And they have double goon and cassa shipments, as well as organs. It doesn't take them long to take advantage of their 3 TCs, either, and if there's a problem, you can always call out 45 minutemen.

I am partial to German FF. I have lots of experience with it, but the slow age-up with the Marksman makes it way weaker than it used to be. Semi-FF is much stronger, because you actually can get an eco going before bombing your enemy with veteran uhlans and skirms. That is my favorite all-round 2-unit combo in the game, btw. Not because it's the best; I just know how to use it ;) Mercs also kick butt, although the straight merc FF ain't what it used to be. It's also sort of an all-or-nothing deal, too. If the mercs die, you are in trouble.

Spanish FF used to be so awesome. I still use it in vanilla, where you age to III quicker, get 5 hussars, then send 5+4 lancers AND 2 falcs protected by rods. Now THAT kicked some Russian tail :-P
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

Definately Ports, ever tryed not FF or FI on a land only map as ports. It is about the same handicap as playing with you eyes closed, only you get to see yourself die. Sporting was the man who taught me the power of the Port FI.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

Ports are op simply put just look at them as the best civ.
BenS64
Colonel
Colonel

Post by BenS64 »

Germans, because of all those shipments, although a semi ff would be better.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Good question. I voted for Ports just because they get such automatic economic power from a FF... immediate 3 TC is just devastating. Plus they ship in 5 mams with 1450 HP each; that's the HP of about 25 hussars. And they have double goon and cassa shipments, as well as organs. It doesn't take them long to take advantage of their 3 TCs, either, and if there's a problem, you can always call out 45 minutemen.

I am partial to German FF. I have lots of experience with it, but the slow age-up with the Marksman makes it way weaker than it used to be. Semi-FF is much stronger, because you actually can get an eco going before bombing your enemy with veteran uhlans and skirms. That is my favorite all-round 2-unit combo in the game, btw. Not because it's the best; I just know how to use it ;) Mercs also kick butt, although the straight merc FF ain't what it used to be. It's also sort of an all-or-nothing deal, too. If the mercs die, you are in trouble.

Spanish FF used to be so awesome. I still use it in vanilla, where you age to III quicker, get 5 hussars, then send 5+4 lancers AND 2 falcs protected by rods. Now THAT kicked some Russian tail :-P[/quote]

Grab 450 wood while aging up to Colonial with 500 food. Get a TP, 2 Houses, ship 3 SW as first card Age2 and then 2 SW or 700 gold. Just rocks.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Very surprised only 1 person has mentioned it. But my vote would go to China.

Disc's + Monk w/upgrades combined with free armies and/or arq's is a pretty good combo. It's not OP anymore, but still quite good in the right hands..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I still like the old school spain FF.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""36drew""]I still like the old school spain FF.[/quote]

Me too. It's just too bad you can't age quick and you don't get 9 lancers!

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

The old school spain FF is like margarine, it's ok but it's not the spain FF.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

The German FF is pretty much like the French FF, the difference is that germans get 9+8 uhlans and 8 or 9 skirms while the French get 3 currisiers.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]i voted for spain, since it's classic and fast plus i like the unit combos that come with it.
([/quote]

Wait I didn't know you could ff with spain, and spain is one of my best civs. It seems like it takes forever to get spain to fortress since spain I believe is the only civ not counting the asian ones without a quick age up, which is my biggest problem with spain especially in treaty.

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""hallchr""]The German FF is pretty much like the French FF, the difference is that germans get 9+8 uhlans and 8 or 9 skirms while the French get 3 currisiers.[/quote]

the extra 3 free uhlans or mercs make a big difference early fortress, French can't compete
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""hallchr""]Ports are op simply put just look at them as the best civ.[/quote]

Best FF civ maybe, worst civ overall.... true also LOL. Maybe that speaks volumes for gameplay ATM. FF is just not viable, and the only civ that has a deecent FF has the worst win% out of any of them.

Ports are brutal, but fun as hell to play.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""hallchr""]The German FF is pretty much like the French FF, the difference is that germans get 9+8 uhlans and 8 or 9 skirms while the French get 3 currisiers.[/quote]

It's actually 7+8 skirms, but the 3 free uhlans per shipment more than make up for it. And if you want serious RI support, save your money and send in the Jaegers (250 HP, 40% RR, 30 attack, X2 v. HI) ! You get 13 of them! Just add some cav or anti-cav and go rock n' roll.

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""GeneralMichael""]
Wait I didn't know you could ff with spain, and spain is one of my best civs. It seems like it takes forever to get spain to fortress since spain I believe is the only civ not counting the asian ones without a quick age up, which is my biggest problem with spain especially in treaty.[/quote]

;)
spain ff is strong because they get shipments faster than other civs.
they can easily send two 700res crates in colonial, or spare that one for fortress.