Fast Puma Spearman

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Fast Puma Spearman

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Has anyone had the pleasure of playing both the age 3 shipment, Temple Xochipilli, and doing the Incan Minor native upgrade, Road building?

Apparently, it'll give your Puma Spearman Heavy Infanty a speed of 7.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but then again, do I want a heart attack? Not really.

Should be able to do it on Araucania. Good luck.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Re: Fast Puma Spearman

Post by GeneralMichael »

Haven't done that yet but I know with that upgrade and the shipment that increases the cyote runner's speed allows the cyote runners to out run most calv

Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

haha ive done that once, and i had fully upped arrow knights with a full firepit :] ...it was almost as good as sex.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

with that upgrade and the shipment that increases the cyote runner's speed allows the cyote runners to out run most calv
Alas not Michael, Coyote Runners aren't "infantry" so the Road building upgrade won't work on them :(.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I used to have that spearman card in my decks, but you never end up playing it as 1k gold is just too much for it and the one that boosts coyotes is much better to have in the first place.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

I play it fairly (but not too) often. When I need strong anti-cav or seige.

The way I look at it is this:

The age 3 Puma Spearman card gives you 8 Puma Spearman.

By comparison, Temple Xochipilli give you 12 Puma Spearman for 1000 gold.

So, I reason that the 20% upgrade to Puma Spearman speed is actually only costing you something like a bit over 600 gold.

Whereas, with the Coyote card, you only get 1 more Coyote for your 1000 gold - over their exceptional 10 Coyote card shipment.

Funny logic I know.

But, I still probably play Temple Xipe Totec (for Coyotes) more than Temple Xochipilli (for Pumas) too!
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

fast puma does sound nice, but i'd rather ship temple coyote card followed by ruthlessness card (age 2 silent strike card) and watch with delight as my enemy tries to run his vills for dear life (firepit on damage dance extremely helpfull in these cases )
- Dan
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

I seem to remember the Ruthlessness card getting slated on this forum when I brought it up before :). Still not sure about its worth. But it's not been in my deck for some time now. Might revive the old thread on it :).

But I think you're probably right about the general value of the Coyote card over the Puma Spearman one.

Might be worth pointing out that the Ruthlessness card helps Puma too. So, in theory, it's possible to use Pumas to raid buildings and settlers (to a degree) too - against the right opponent.

Now, oddly enough, in a game I played this morning against a Dutch player I actually managed to pick up an Incan TP and do the Road Building upgrade. Wow, once you get it your Maces really leg-it! It was nice. Once I had that, I couldn't help myself but also send Temple Xochipilli (for Puma speed). I thought it a bit of a risk but I had the opportunity to see what it was like so I thought it was worth throwing the game for.

The Puma were indeed fast, but, they didn't move quite as fast as I'd imagined. I did a little raid with them but it didn't amount to much. Too many skirms around.

As the other guy had mainly artillery, skirms, and ryters(?), I didn't do much with the Pumas and just went mainly AK and Maces. Have to say though, the Pumas I had in my AK and Mace pack give me that little bit more confidence because they closed really quickly on the few Hussar going for my Maces and AK. Naturally, the Pumas were useful at the end when I was "clearing" up his base of buildings after I killed is army.