Late Game Ports - Can They be Stopped?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Late Game Ports - Can They be Stopped?

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Only Port's chance against Japan is the Jap being dumb, you FI and then you watch him trying to kill heavy cannons. Musket spam helps too because yumis aren't that hot mid-late game vs HI.

@American

Yes, ofc some civs come soon and hard but you will have 2 tcs with colonial militia. If you feel you cant stop it you cancel the aging and you send 15 mm.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Only Port's chance against Japan is the Japanese being dumb, you FI and then you watch him trying to kill heavy cannons. Musket spam helps too because yumis aren't that hot mid-late game vs HI.

@American

Yes, ofc some civs come soon and hard but you will have 2 tcs with colonial militia. If you feel you cant stop it you cancel the aging and you send 15 mm.[/quote]

yeah,
sporting wasnt there a rec of you beating a Indian 10/10 rush?
with a Port F.I.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

sorry i must be mistaken, i cant find the rec in any of our forums, i remember watching the game and downloading it from this site.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I just watched an expert rec (Port v. Japan) in which the Port tried to bother the Japanese with xbows and pikes until he went to fort. Problem was, even 10 ashis with 4.5 speed were able to chase away and kill the xbows (the broken counter system at its finest), then the Japanese massed more muskets while the Port massed some cassas, goons and 2 organ guns. The Port managed to keep the Japs at bay with this army, but soon enough the Japanese aged, cranked out about 40 ashis and 10 nags, sent the daimyo and just crushed everything the Port had with relative ease. Toward the end, the Japanese massed flaming arrows, which killed the goons and the cassas. Anything that survived fell easily to disciplined ashi doing 53 attack in age III (just to put this in perspective, an imperial redcoat with all upgrades does 55 attack). Even the 5 mamelukes went down like uhlans to these ashis.

This game was good proof that Japanese units just dominate at certain points in a match. Port had no chance here, even with a PR advantage. The colonial harassment did nothing to change the result. Then again, trying to raid Japan is almost a contradiction in terms.[/quote]

Somewhat related - I just beat a Japan guy in FFA with Brits against a fully upgraded Japanese army. It's relevant because the only units I used were dragoons (presumably my life would have been even easier with Ports in that case) and cree rifles. Dragoons can assassinate daimyos and cannons with relative impunity (a more engaged version of hit and run was used in this case), and can manhandle ashis where you have room to run with endless hit-and-run. It took about 20 minutes of constant fighting (we both started with full ecos off a lazy 20-min treaty start that didn't get going in battle until about 30 minutes). I killed him finally because the fast goons can do other things than just herd his army around - I would break off small groups to hit his eco in various places until he couldn't keep his unit spam going. It must have been hateful for him because it all ended in a heap and a long string of cussing and insults.

A fast army, where you get to pick the battle fields, is like having two armies. Of course, if they get to pick the battle field then the speed does you little good.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Yes there is :D

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... pic&t=1008[/quote]

ty i knew i wasnt going senile :)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

wasn't even close to a 10/10 that game iirc, but nice game anyway!
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yes I know, I wrote agra rush not 10/10 in topic title :p
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Yes I know, I wrote agra rush not 10/10 in topic title :p[/quote]

yeah thats my bad i thought it was a 10/10