Frustrating French!

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Frustrating French!

Post by ruminator »

This guy coureur rushed me - I survived ok and thought that's the end of the game, but he kept on coming! Only 3rd game as Brits so rusty, but even so I felt he was just toying with me!

If I'd have found his stable early I might have ended it sooner.

Hopefully a fun watch ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Re: Frustrating French!

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Hi Rum,

Okay, some feedback for you... well done on winning by the way. Lots of little things, but, if you improve on each of those little things collectively it makes quite a big difference.

(1) Make sure you herd your 2nd lot of hunt back to your TC. In that game, you exhausted your 1st hunt before you had 800 fd and that slowed down your age 2 dramatically. He got to age 2 a lot sooner than you and that can be v. dangerous.

(2) When he was attacking your settlers with his Explorer and Scout, the Scout was positioned adjacent to (touching) three of your explorers. If you'd just selected those three (and left the rest gathering) they'd of killed the scout v. quickly. I think settlers do 10 damage in Melee. Would have been like having a Hussar on the scout.

(3) When he hit you with pikes and Couriers, you could have been in trouble. Forunatley, he had bad micro - I think he ran 10 or so pikes out of your base for no reason at all, before running them back in again, and, he didn't immediately try to take down your barracks with his pikes. However, you had a lot of muskets which was good. Against his couriers, consider using your muskets in melee mode. In melee Couriers are similar to settlers whereas if you're trying to take them ranged attack they're really hard to kill. Also, you focused too much on killing the Couriers rather than his military units. Couriers have lots of HP and good ranged resistance. In the time it takes you to kill a Courier with your longbow you could have killed multiple pikes which posed the biggest risk to you - e.g., they could have taken down your barracks.

(4) When you beat him back, your score was way over his and you'd killed most of his eco - he used his couriers to attack you with and lost them. So, you should have taken your army (muskets) to his base and trashed him - gg. But, whenever he raided your base you kept pulling your army all the way back to your TC. No need - he was a dead duck. You should have taken your muskets to his based and killed his TC and houses, and, just built a few *new* muskets back at your base to deal with the raiding. Watch that one Rum, or, I predict you're going to get into games where you severely damage someone, but, because you don't finish them they're going to get a bit of a boom going and come back into the game and go onto win.

Good win.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Frustrating French!

Post by ruminator »

Thanks Sun - all so true!

I was just amazed that he was still able to produce troops ... The hunt problem on about 650 food was a bit of a nightmare!

I think he ran those pikes out because of the muskets in my base and hoped to weaken them first before bringing the pikes back in.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace