Looking for help with Iroquois

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Looking for help with Iroquois

Post by cleeduz »

I'm brand spankin' noob to AOE3/TWC/TAD, I've been doing OK so far but really want to get better, can I get some help with Iroquois...

Here is the only game lately I've been able to record, QS doesn't always record my games. Any help/criticism is welcome! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Looking for help with Iroquois

Post by ruminator »

Sporting helped me become pretty good with Iroquois - probably one of my stronger options now. I'll take a look .. but it might not be until the weekend.

Check some of the earlier threads on Iroquois and shipments/TPS etc - quite a lot of info on the boards in one form or another.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""ruminator""]Sporting helped me become pretty good with Iroquois - probably one of my stronger options now. I'll take a look .. but it might not be until the weekend.

Check some of the earlier threads on Iroquois and shipments/TPS etc - quite a lot of info on the boards in one form or another.[/quote]

Sounds good, I'm mainly looking for help with Iroquois and overall game advice. I just learned about control groups and shift clicking (after watching 36Drew's VOD) so I need all the help I can get. :D

This isn't the most exciting game to watch, I'll try and record a game tonight that is a little more involved so that I can get a better critique. Thanks for taking the time. 8)

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

on my 'to do' list ;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Hi, these will just be a few basic game tips. Iro I'll leave to the guys that play them.

1 - Send just one villager to shoot the herd towards your TC. All others should go to crates. Split them up a bit on crates so they don't bump into each other so much. You lose time you could be collecting crates/resources.

2 - Always query vills ASAP. There was quite a bit of time in the very beginning that the TC was idle. 20 seconds means you age 20 seconds later.

3 - Be sure to set the gathering point from your TC to collect whatever resource is most important. In this game the gathering point wasn't set and there was a lot of villager idle time. Discovery Age it's food so set it on a hunts/berries being sure to check it regularly, especially if on hunts or gold piles. This way villagers will go to work immediately without you having to task them.

4- If rushing, never build your WH/barracks in a direct line between your village and the enemy unless, like you did, you put it on their hunts. They are sure to find it faster and may give you problems. Build it as close to the enemy as possible (cutting down walk time).

Those four things done reasonably well and you'll drop your age up time by a good 30+ seconds easily.

Otherwise, nicely done. Rax first then TC.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I've spammed this forum way too much with my iro recs, I'm sure you'll find them :D
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I've spammed this forum way too much with my iro recs, I'm sure you'll find them :D[/quote]

lol :D I have ( I think I found most of them...) and only have a "few" more to watch...

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I'm sure you'll notice they're pretty much all the same talk tho ^^
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""NEO_CrAz3n""]Hi, these will just be a few basic game tips. Iro I'll leave to the guys that play them.

1 - Send just one villager to shoot the herd towards your TC. All others should go to crates. Split them up a bit on crates so they don't bump into each other so much. You lose time you could be collecting crates/resources.

2 - Always query vills ASAP. There was quite a bit of time in the very beginning that the TC was idle. 20 seconds means you age 20 seconds later.

3 - Be sure to set the gathering point from your TC to collect whatever resource is most important. In this game the gathering point wasn't set and there was a lot of villager idle time. Discovery Age it's food so set it on a hunts/berries being sure to check it regularly, especially if on hunts or gold piles. This way villagers will go to work immediately without you having to task them.

4- If rushing, never build your WH/barracks in a direct line between your village and the enemy unless, like you did, you put it on their hunts. They are sure to find it faster and may give you problems. Build it as close to the enemy as possible (cutting down walk time).

Those four things done reasonably well and you'll drop your age up time by a good 30+ seconds easily.

Otherwise, nicely done. Rax first then TC.[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time and the excellent tips.

I watched the replay again and noticed the points you made, good stuff. I definately need to micro vills & TC better.

I hadn't though about the WH placement before, I will now.

Thanks again :)

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Craz already covered some important points you need to work on.

using waypoints is a must, dont neglect it. (from TC and warhunt)

Dont kill all your hunts so fast, you had 1 or 2 vills on each bison, which is a loss of potential food. Dead hunts slowly decay over time, so on kill when needed.

your deck need 4 kanya horsemen, get that card asap, you need it to fight infantry or to raid.

when in battle, avaoid wasting too much time watching other stuff, winning battles is top priority. (using hotkeys helps a lot)

when you rush with iro, you'll often find yourself with 150 gold or more, get a market up and research some techs, you could even buy some wood if you got spare gold.

gl and get some new recs up :)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Craz already covered some important points you need to work on.

using waypoints is a must, dont neglect it. (from TC and warhunt)

Dont kill all your hunts so fast, you had 1 or 2 vills on each bison, which is a loss of potential food. Dead hunts slowly decay over time, so on kill when needed.

your deck need 4 kanya horsemen, get that card asap, you need it to fight infantry or to raid.

when in battle, avaoid wasting too much time watching other stuff, winning battles is top priority. (using hotkeys helps a lot)

when you rush with iro, you'll often find yourself with 150 gold or more, get a market up and research some techs, you could even buy some wood if you got spare gold.

gl and get some new recs up :)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Thanks for the review. I need a lot of work...

I just started working with waypoints after Craz's review. Is there a hotkey for Civilian gathering point, I found the military but not civilian? I also did not realize that about hunts, will work on it.

I watched MrMilo's early game guide VOD quickly this morning, but will watch it a few more times tonight, I thinkit might help me with some of the things you guys pointed out.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and review. :)

Will get a new rec. up soon.

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Here is a new recording...

I have been going downhill quickly, I have dropped from 1700 ELO to 1450 and dropped 5 PR. I'm getting pretty frustrated as I have been losing all my rated games and winning most of my unrated. I'm beginning to think I got lucky in the beginning and I should be at my current level. :?

This game is ugly and I usually play better than this but this game shows a lot of mistakes I've been making. I have tried to work on the items you mentioned but just can't seem to get the hang of things.

I have been watching tons of recordings, VOD's and reading strategies. You guys make it look easy!

This game is kinda long, but well interesting my TC goes down and I lose a bunch of vills, bunch pressure on and eventually pull of a win. :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Here's another thing. I noticed you play in 800x600 screen res. Try using a higher res. You'll see more of the map and it can help you alot and in many ways. Some guys won't agree with this but it's a fact. The less scrolling you have to do the better. You can also spot idle vills, herds, near treasures etc etc much better. It may actually improve your play more than you think.

Stick with one civ until you are proficient with them.

I'd really like to see someone mentor cleeduz. Any takers? Anyone getting cleeduz to Sgt level play Supremacy in a month gets 10MB extra storage space. Get him to Master Sgt. and it'll get ya 20MB.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

some points about this rec:

* your first vil is at 20 sec because you send 4 to hunt and 1 on crates.
it should be out at 7-8 sec, put 4 on crates and 1 on hunt to achieve this.

* it hurts to see an idle TC: produce vils non-stop until you got 15 or 16

* your treasure creeping needs some practice, but this is considder low priority. When fighting wolfs or small guardians, u can most of the time just fight without needing to run away. Iro chief rox. Check some replays and try to understand how others do it.

* when you click the age up button, think about building your 2nd longhouse. You got housed rather often: work on this, it's very important.

* when shipping military, put the drop-off point at your warhut, saves walking time.

* around 8.30, when you moved in with toma & kanya, the game was yours. He had no military and only 16 vils (all in TC). So what went wrong:
1- you were sieging 4 diff buildings instead of taking down the rax.
2- no reinforcements during the fight, although you had enough resources for 10 or 15 extra toma. You did make some, but a bit too late.
3- didn't look at the battle for half a min and that's when his 5 ashigaru shipment came out + minutemen, result: you lost your army
4- all the new tomas/aenas went in small batches to his TC and died outnumbered. When a battle is lost, retreat and mass again. Try not to move in with less than 15 units

the rest i watched on fast, as it's of no real importance.

Your first focus should be on improving the very start of the game and master some basics like getting hunts closer, q'ing vils, not getting housed etc. That's easy to practise vs comp offline, just restart the game after 5 min and try again until it becomes an habit.

Second part should be improving the battle. Think about the mass, reinforcements and priority targets. Don't fight lost battles and keep your focus where it's hot.

overall you know most of these things, you just lack game experience, which will come, don't worry!

cheers