help with new civs

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

help with new civs

Post by cleeduz »

I've been playing vanilla for about a month and doing OK, then last week I picked up TAD, and have been playing that on ESO for a few days. The first thing I noticed is that the opponents are much tougher and I have 6-7 new civs to learn.

Here's were I could use some help. Should I concentrate on learning/playing 1 civ or dabble with a few? I have been playing quite a bit of singleplayer trying to learn the newer civs.

Can someone recommend a civ for me to focus/try out? I'd say I'm a fairly aggressive player and like playing Russia/Britian/France (vanilla) and have been playing a lot of Sioux & Japan on single player.

Can anyone help an overwhelmed noob? :?
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: help with new civs

Post by Soccerman771 »

My best advice is to learn how the civ's you are comfortable in nilla are played in TAD. Then the conversion to TWC and TAD civs should be better. Aggressive civs are Iro and India.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I know similar questions get asked a lot.

I started out playing TAD with my Russian rush that worked well for me in nilla, but it didn't fly in TAD. I also mainly play 1v1 and was getting some tough matchups in QS games, so started thinking about a new civ.

I will keep practicing with my Russians and will spend some time playing singleplayer with Iro. and see how that goes. I've been reading a few strats for Iro. and am excited about giving them a try.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

If you're going heavy on strelets then remember that they are now even weaker vs cav than they were before! Also 14 rather than 17 settler age up is the only viable route nowadays.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""ruminator""]If you're going heavy on strelets then remember that they are now even weaker vs cav than they were before! Also 14 rather than 17 settler age up is the only viable route nowadays.[/quote]
Thanks, the rush I was using for Russia was a 14 vill Age Musket Rush, it wasn't the fastest rush out there, but it allowed me to apply a lot of pressure early game. I think everyone predicts this from Russia and it didn't do very well.

I started practicing with Iro. last night and so far so good. I won my first game with them (against Japan).

I'm going to stick with France and Iroqouis and focus on them for now. Thanks for the advice, anymore is always wecome. :D

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

post some recs, it's the best way to help you imho
gl hf
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Ok, thanks.

I just posted one HERE.

I managed to win against India, but it was kinda ugly...

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Learning Russia is worth your time. They have a solid early game and you can get up to M.Sgt. or 2d Lt. in no time if you just master the early pressure game. Just remember that their early anti-cav is horrible and you need to watch out for cav-strong strats. I am teaching my mentor about early Russian management. You are more than welcome to check out my thread where I've posted some pointers about Russian fundamentals.

Good luck with the new civs!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Learning Russia is worth your time. They have a solid early game and you can get up to M.Sgt. or 2d Lt. in no time if you just master the early pressure game. Just remember that their early anti-cav is horrible and you need to watch out for cav-strong strats. I am teaching my mentor about early Russian management. You are more than welcome to check out my thread where I've posted some pointers about Russian fundamentals.

Good luck with the new civs![/quote]

I will definately do that! I did pretty well with Russia in 'nilla, but got absolutely slaughtered in TAD...