1vs1 Info.

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

1vs1 Info.

Post by Nighthawk22 »

Alright, im dead serious when i say "I suck, and i need major help." I've only recently realized how important it is that i learn how to play 1v1. It's the quickest way to gain pr, and (since you have no partner) its the best way to test your skills. Ive only played 2 rated 1v1 games before and im really wanting to play more. If anyone could posts some basic information on things id need to know about playing 1 on 1 it would really help me out a lot. Thanks.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: 1vs1 Info.

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I can tell you a few basics.

1. Scouting. Keep your explorer constantly on the move in discovery. See what he's gathering, see if he's building an FB. Treasures are nice, but don't let them divert you from removing as much fog of war possible. If you see wood gathering, think colonial war. If you see gold-gathering, think FF, cavalry or muskets (smaller number on coin than cav). Check to see if any villies are straggled out at a distant herd... and that's where you'll raid first.

2. Check his deck around 3:00. This gives you another clue as to his intentions. Lots of crates in Age 2? Could be rush-fuel. Lots of coin cards? Could be an FF. Lots of Age 2 military... rush written all over it. Otto deck with Age 2 artillery cards and coin shipments? Abus spam. You'll get a feel for what's coming.

3. Maintain constant villie production. You know this already, but it's worth repeating cuz it's the most essential basic skill out there.

4. Drill your strats cold. In 1v1, you need to have a clear vision of what you want to do. Memorize your BO so you can do it at the drop of a hat. Use your scouting skills to trigger the strat you'll use.

5. Find food sources. Early game, you need to worry about where your food supply is. Normally your first herd will barely get you to Age 2. Always send an early villie to get a 2nd or even 3rd hunt toward your base. This will give you a safe source of food for your econ and your early army in the first crucial minutes.

Obviously there are civ specific tips, but these go across the board. Your experience in team games always helps... don't think it doesn't!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Don't go do random stuff, have an idea on what you're gonna do first. And don't be afraid of losing pr.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

watch replays
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

just cram your deck full of military cards grab a trading post early game and fire away >:]